Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Rider fatigue on motorway use

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  pete_falcone 
#1 ·
Just curious about rider fatigue on long motorway trips.
I've done a few long trips a 2 x 200, 1 x 400 and a few 100 mile motorway trips.

Maybe old age and a failing memory are to blame but i'm finding the 250r really makes me knackered after these trips. SO much more than other bikes i've owned.

i dont remember my cbf600sa8 being even remotely hard work on the motorway and my black spirit (phantom) which was hard work as its a naked cruiser seemed like less hard work. in fact i dont remember my 125 honda shadow being hard work but it did have a massive riot shield wind screen

Do you think the tiredness is more down to the wind protection/buffering on the cbr 250r or the fact i'm in a full tuck doing 9000+ rpm for extended use?

Also i'm filling up every 100miles on motorway just to be safe. do any riders who cruise at 85 mph know the tank range as its a pain having to stop a little over every hour on a long journey this is just an inconvenience.
I'm thinking about getting a small container with a few litres of petrol in so i can just pull over and stick in more fuel in and not have to stop at every service station on long trips.

See less See more
#4 ·
I have scoliosis, but I alleviate that by supporting my core and shifting my position periodically. The one thing that gives me the most grief is my right wrist. Throttle lock helps with that though. Now I just need one that works well with the CBR since the one for my EX5 doesn't fit well.

#5 ·
At 100 miles I'm guessing you're only putting in 1.2-1.4 gallons? You can run the tank down to 2.5 gallons without even getting near the actual reserve. My normal fill up is between 2-2.5 gallons.

Reactions: Dukie
#6 ·
Keep in mind this is an international forum and the original question was stated in ltrs.

On my trips that I roll the throttle full on all the way to work and back(160miles/257.5km with hills and curves over 2/3 the way) I'm getting 4.20026L/100km. That is the worst mileage I can get and that is with a lot of baggage. If the tank really holds 13 ltrs then the range at that economy is right around 300km. Miles out of the tank at full on my bike right around 200. Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Sent from my crackPhone using MO cræsh Free

#8 ·
I'm 64 years old and have been riding since I was 9, 3 or 4 years ago, I did 5100 miles in 10 days, 900+ on the last day, pulling a popup Kwik-Kamp trailer on a Goldwing from eastern coastal highways to midwestern interstates. I'm just TOO DARN OLD to tuck, so wind resistance was part of my ride where ever I went, the best advice I can give you, and anyone else that might have a problem long hauling. I think there's a reason most bikes have a one tank range of 100 +/- miles (or equivalent in kilometers). 1 1/2 hours is about all you ought to spend in the saddle before you get on your feet. The pelvic area is an incredibly bony region, and almost every seat will become a pressure area for most of us. Even the best of seats for the type of bike we ride, is a minor improvement. I use a gel pad made by Butt-Buffer (I think) for a pillon on my VTX, and it just gives a slight relief, now I have made several 100+ mile rides with my CBR, but my recliner has a much better seat.
The other thing, and probably even more important, is to allow yourself to relax, I can't stand to "tuck" for very long, I hurt my back in Korea, in '86. I sit pretty much almost straight up, and adjust my position frequently. Another thing that has been discussed in another subject line, is hand position, and tension. I keep "Cramp Buster"s on both sides of my handlebars, obviously, I don't need it on my left one, but I keep it on there to remind me to not keep a death grip on the handlebar, they can be rotated out of the way if I'm just running around town. I have a friend that used to live in Belgium, and on the mainland of Europe, apparently you are required to have both hands on the handlebars at all times, I don't know if that is a requirement in The Empire, or not. If not, get yourself a pair of "Cramp Buster"s, they can be rotated forward out of the way, as needed, but, I am on my way up to 50-60 MPH within about 100 yards, so I keep it on the end of the grip set at about 12 o'clock facing the end. I can fit my hand between the edge of the Cramp Buster and the raised part on the inner end to get up to speed, so that's no problem.
When I grip the handlebar, I only use the minimal amount of grasp, just enough to maintain control, but not so much that my fingers change color. The throttle is moved with the heel of my hand, not by grabbing so hard that my fingers change color. No grasping=no numbness, pink to white=numbness pretty quickly. You've chosen a motorcycle, let it do the work. Cages are okay, I love my Mustang convertible, but if I need to unwind, give me a bike. Let it be relaxing.

Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.