Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Track day / tire report

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  djvirus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I ventured out to Grattan Raceway yesterday, 10/10/15. Gates opened at 7 am. It was still quite dark, and the fog I had driven in to was getting thicker. I started to become concerned about the conditions at the track. The thermostat in the truck read a balmy 43°F. Through the gates to the paddock, park, and begin to unload the rig. Fast Foreward to the riders meeting were it was announced that corners 2 and 3 were freshly resurfaced, and we would be braking them in. Race temp eventually reached 65°F.

I had stripped the Repsol of her mirrors, turn signals, etc, and a few days before a new set of Diablo Rossi 2s mounted. I had no hard info on tire pressure, so I started with 28/28 cold. After 2 sessions and a full cool down, I dropped them to 26/26 cold. I had 3 small moments hauling the bike around the track. Each time I had for some reason been pushed off the proper line, and each time I ran slightly over the edge on the rear tire.
The 250's suspension is stock. I have not done any work here as the bike is "technically" my wife's. She has told me she will be annexing it in the spring. The suspension is probably spot on for her weight. I am 185lbs dry......
The bike is incredible. If you have the skillset, you are able to put on one hell of a shock and awe campaign. I definitely have to give credit to the tires. They are very sticky, had great feel especially in the front end despite being so lightly sprung, the rear was excellent under braking , and very stable the two times I locked it.
The highlight of the day came as I was just finishing packing up the truck. A young man that was a member of the advanced group approach me. He complimented the bike on its looks, and then told me "your corner speed is insane!"

I have not taken a bike to the track in over 10 years. I decided to take the 250 because I did not want to have to worry about doped related issues. I wanted to stay relaxed and focus on becoming reacquainted with operations, scheduling, and make sure I was still practicing the fundamentals properly. I ended up having a riot. It was soooooo satisfying getting blown past in the straight by supersports, hunting them down, and being in passing position by the exit of turn 3. I know you have heard people ask you "it's only a 250?" with discontent in their voice. Don't let it bother you. Those people don't know just how sharp a track weapon you have.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great write up and indeed sounds like you had a great day at the track. The first time I took mine to the track was running the same tires you had. They are amazing on this little bike, since that day I have done a lot of upgrades to be able to keep up with the kawi's and Dukes that now play on one of the 2 tracks we like to visit. I had surgery a few months back and still recovering so havent made it back to the track but with all the suspension upgrades, motor etc I am sure it will be even more fun.

I do own a few 1000's and enjoy the 250 so much more no concern about over accelerating out of the corner and like you mentioned the bike will dive right into and out of the corners. HAve fun and keep taking your 250 out it only gets better.

#5 ·
When I brought my Baby Blade to the track I felt like the suspension was the weakest part along with low foot pegs. Im pretty small, only 5 foot 4 and 125 pounds, but the stock suspension feels way under sprung for the track. I was getting frustrated with it by the end of the day because I knew I could go faster but I as still having a great time. Im surprised how much you liked it with your weight. I still love the bike though, many people were surprised at the corner speeds and how many people I passed exiting corners. Can't wait to go again next year but I think im gonna make some upgrades first. Glad to hear you had a fun time at the track!

#6 ·
but the stock suspension feels way under sprung for the track. I was getting frustrated with it by the end of the day because I knew I could go faster but I as still having a great time. Im surprised how much you liked it with your weight.
Make no mistake, it is under sprung for my weight. I was very surprised how well the bike did despite this fact. If I was keeping/going to run this particular bike more, it would definitely get some suspension upgrades.
On that note, if any of you are concerned about doing a track day with the stock suspension, don't be. You will do just fine.

#7 ·
Were you on the stock tires? ANd has anyone tried adjustable rearsets for the 250 yet? I'm curious as I will be dragging my gf to the track with me when I think she can handle cornering a little better, but I've scraped pegs a few times with the 250 already, on a track where the road conditions are nice and hot, I see the factory rearsets becoming an issue

#8 ·
#9 ·
Even if she is still practicing cornering I think raising the rearsets or even get adjustable ones is a great investment. I think they were help with confidence and then in the future as she gets faster she won't have to worry about it. I am looking to buy the Yoshimura rearset risers because they a lot cheaper than new rear sets. Yoshimura Rearset Brackets Honda CBR250R / CBR300R / CB300F - RevZilla

#11 ·
I have a set of the "BIKERS" brand and never have any problems when I ride. I am 6'2" 215 lbs fully geared. Have never scrapped pegs. My younger brother is faster and more fearless he has never scraped.

Attachments

#12 ·
Are you track riding or street riding? I see you are in the phillipines and I'm not sure if you have any famous roads over there, but google or youtube "Tail of the Dragon", scraping pegs and dragging knee are easy there with stock rearsets, hence the need for adjustables rearsets. If you look up KillBoy.com and go through all his pictures of riders on the Tail, you'll see a lot of pegs being scraped. Not knocking you or your ability to ride, but just because you haven't done it, doesn't mean other can't. I'm sure there are a few crazy guys here that have also joined me introducing metal to the asphalt.

#13 ·
Love the write up! It's fun to hear of others who have a similar experience to mine. I run SC2s now, but the corner speed of this little bike is incredible, and all of the tires I've tried seem sticky beyond anything else I've experienced (which, therefore, has to be in part due to bike cornering performance).

My last race weekend I was swapping spots with a couple of RC390s and one R3. The track was TWS, which has one long straight. I would get passed in the straight, but then take them back by holding more speed going into a corner. (Ultimately lost, because the finish was near the end of the straight, but was a ton of fun!)

You might want to try keeping your front tire with a little more pressure. I run mine at 31-32 - gives more stability going into the corner. I've found 27-28 for the rear seems right, but a lot of that is preference and tire choice.

Thanks for the track report!

#14 ·
We have a small Rotax Karting Track circuit in my town about 1.2 kms distance where they recently started renting ir for motorcycles. Bike being stock, running stock tyres, continental front and Ceat Zoom xl at the rear, the bike is fun on track. However it does take me 3-4 laps to get the tyres to properly warm up.I run on 27psi in the front and 30 at the rear, my rear tyre height is quiet low compared to most stock tyres, hence the 30psi setup at the rear. Although im still learning to lean in more with the bike and get my corner's right, just did 3 track days till date on it. Will share few pictures. It would be great to discuss and share more on this.

We have a lot of Rc200/390, Duke 200/390, Ninja 300 etc. Bascially all the smaller mill rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.