Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Advice from USA riders

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  don'tpanic 
#1 ·
Hi people,

I am an aussie and will be travelling back and forth to the states, namely Florida and looking for advice on where to search for used 250R's.
I know a 50 something Aussie riding a sports bike in Florida is not the done thing as all I seem to see on my numerous visits are large cruisers, but
From what I have read about Craigs List not that keen to use it so is there a more reputable sites that I can find a decent bike and don't want to pay a hefty premium going through a dealer.
May also consider a 300R

Also what insurance do bikes need to have, read somewhere that bikes in Florida don't need to carry insurance which I think is crazy.
In Australia, you can have either full comprehensive which covers third party and own damage plus public liability or just third party and public liability and our registration fees also cover personal injury costs as well.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Craigslist is really your best bet, you just gotta be cautious about meeting people with cash on you. That's going to be the case with any private party sale. Cycle trader, oodle marketplace and eBay would be your other alternatives. You can try local newspaper classifieds, but craigs list has pretty much killed their relevance.

#3 ·
I have $250K liability insurance and a $1K medical (for the hole before my regular medical ins. starts) on two bikes from Foremost Ins., and pay $159/year. YMMV, this is for southern Arizona, and rider in his 70's.

Reactions: blackjack
#4 ·
I take it you have driven on right-hand streets, before? If not, there are two types of people :))) , those that pick it up easily, and those that don't.

Hopefully you will be tested in a car before given a D.L.
My State requires separate testing, which can be bypassed by completing a basic riders safety course.
I would be nice if the MSF https://www.msf-usa.org/students.aspx offered a course for riding on the "wrong" side of the road, but they don't.

Be careful! I have never been to Australia, but believe when I say that over 50% of the U.S. citizens with drivers licenses (including those driving w/o a license) are rude and selfish human beings. I was followed just the other day by a young lady with a car full of friends, with her cell phone in one hand, and a ciggy in the other. I hope that the other road users were not too much of an inconvenience to her.

I hope that I didn't sugarcoat it too much. It is an election year and I am a bit edgy.

And welcome to the forum!

#5 ·
years ago i visited hawaii [navy] hired a cb450
for a day and rode around oahu, checked out
waiamea bay, sunset beach, banzai pipeline
etc.. riding on the right..

for me once underway it was just a mirror
of left side traffic, the one caution being
turning, where it helps to be consciously
aware of turning into the 'wrong' lane,,
especially at first..
brain seems to be able to easily switch sides
in general riding - being a single track vehicle
with rider central, theres not the same feeling
of sitting on the wrong side going the wrong way etc..
and you start to find it natural turning etc, but,,
just a caution to bring attention back to where
and how to turn as you approach/enter turns..

in traffic etc, remain aware etc
but otherwise go with the flow..

#7 ·
Have been over there a few times in the last few years and driven from Florida to NY and back without any issues. Yes it feels strange driving on the wrong side of the road. Wish you guys would figure it out. Keep to the left because right is wrong so when I say I am on the right side of the road it actually means I am driving on the left side, not the right side....:)

#8 · (Edited)
I don't care about driving rules so much, because I don't even have a passport, but I am really upset that we didn't go metric by 1970 like they promised when I was in grade school in the '60s.
When I had my own darkroom in the '70s, is was all metric, just because I am lazy (it is MUCH easier).
Motorcycling just carried on the tradition (BMW).

I am glad you have experience driving over here.

You are new to motorcycling , you say? Has anyone told you how earplugs will preserve what is left of your hearing?
I rode for about 25 years before they came on the motorcycling scene. It was VERY strange at first, now, if I forget them and put on my helmet, the latching of the chin bar has me removing the helmet immediately.
Earplugs are an essential part of ATGATT (all the gear, all the time).

Also replace the stock horn with one or two Fiamm horns. Two is my favorite, as you get a high/low tone together. You push that button (don't forget a relay and heavy gauge wire, with a fuse close to the battery) people IMMEDIATELY get out of your space, looking for the truck! :D
Put them on both of your bikes. It is also a great selling point if you ever decide to sell.
The first horn is simple, bolt it to the original bracket, and bend to fit.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-appearance-modifications/4962-horn-thread.html

For safety, I have had flashing LEDs supplement my brake and running lights, as well.
They must work, I have never been rear ended. ;)
This is my particular brand: http://www.hyperlites.com/stdsf.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.