Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Is 2k USD a fair price to sell a 2013 cbr250 for?

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  artstenn 
#1 ·
I only had the bike a month but out where I live the speed limit is up to 85 mph and it is not doing so well for me. It is great around town but out of town and with tons of hills with high speed limits starting at 70mph it is just too slow. It is a 2013 with 15k miles and recently had the chain, brake pads changed that I have receipts from the dealer for. The front fender has a crack in it but I could replace it for 40 bucks if needed. I was going to try to get 2100 for it but someone was saying that it is only worth 1500 because of the 300s driving down value. That seems crazy low to me. I don't mind waiting a month or two for it to sell but I don't want to list it at a price it will never move.

#2 ·
I think $1500 is a little low, $2k if in good condition is a good starting point, but probably a tad high. 15k is generally more miles than most see, so that will put it in the lower ballpark range for most 250's you will see for sale and will make it a harder seller. So that will likely drive your price down a bit if you want to be competitive to likely all the others you will see for sale in your vicinity. Also, you're selling in the winter. This is a harder time to sell bikes and generally their prices are lower than Spring/Summer.

Also, since you only paid $1700 for the bike in the first place, breaking even on a motorcycle sale is coming out on top.

That being said, this bike will do 85, unless you're heavier with hills and wind. It might take it a while, but it'll do it all day long. If located in the U.S., I'm hoping you live in Texas?

Reactions: shisoshin
#3 ·
I am over 200 pounds and out in the hills in TX..The bike just slows down too much going up the hills. Talking about a 5-10mph loss at times which pisses off cars behind me. None of the cbr250s are listed lower than 2300 so ill post it for 1900 and sit on it. Being the lowest price bike I am sure I will at least get hits and if they offer 1700 I will take it. I am in no hurry to sell it right this second.

#4 · (Edited)
2K sounds reasonable to me, but I would do a little research on NADA and KBB to see what they list it at. Not everyone is up to date and knows there is a 300 version out there.

I might spring for the fender and install it. I have the best luck selling a vehicle that is in top condition, with no explanations or excuses needed. Sometimes seemingly insignificant items catch people's eye, and it can be something they will bargain with. A good first impression can go a long way.

EDIT: Your location, and time of year, are going to affect the price also. Use the "book value" as a guide, but know that you aren't always going to get there.

A good example is the 2009 Ninja 500R my son bought this spring. Book value was just a little over $3000, but none of them sell in that range. This one was purchased new in 2011 for $3500. We bought it with 2400 miles in EX cond for $2000. Needed tires, but that's it.

#5 ·
you are 3 times one of me, so imagine me with
two passengers, doing 85mph [137kph] up hill..
on a 250 with 15000 miles up [24000km]
with external damage [from ?]..

i almost bought a 2011 cbr250r in pristine condition,
very low miles, for au$4000 [under 3000us$]
[opted for a new cbr300ra for au$5500]

reason for seller stating firm price, no offers,
and my seeing it as a good buy, was its condition..
pristine, very low miles, garaged etc, etc..

while cbr250r is capable of carrying heavy riders,
its designed around 'the average', including novices
for a lower average weight.. average speed limits
tend to be lower worldwide [aust 37, 44, 50 & 68mph]..

think of golf clubs, while you could hit the ball with
a putter etc, for long shots a driver would be chosen [etc]..

so buying a motorcycle depends on intended use..
then getting the best deal you can on the best bike..

selling is like selling anything..
depends on who wants to buy your product..
and for motorcycles, what you are willing
to offload onto another motorcyclist,
perhaps a novice etc..

why not approach your honda dealer
[or other brand dealers] to check out their
trade-in offers on more powerful motorcycles,,
suitable for you and your riding conditions...

honda have many excellent [mouth watering] larger
powerful models for all riding conditions..

#9 ·
got me there schroeder,, i come in at under 70kg now
which for a 5'8" 68yr old actively health conscious
male with a good reduced diet etc, is ok weight..

i did break it down to stone [14+] for a better idea of it,
but must have gotten lost in the maths somewhere..

the point was as to a heavier rider on a 250 at speed with hills etc,
and as that could be a consideration for a potential buyer [eg, me]..
'low miles with a lightweight sensible lady owner',
would be a better rider profile when considering
buying a used 250, than the opposite..

#12 ·
I have a 2011 cbr250 with 16k miles and was once quoted $1500 for a TRADE IN by a local dealer. I would think you could do better selling to an individual. I would list it for $2100 and maybe come down a bit to sell it. Most buyers like to dicker, or get allergic reactions to paying asking price :). But the price you get does depend somewhat on your location and demand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.