Looks like I am never getting rid of my 250r. Nothing but low balls of 1500 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-18-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I am never getting rid of my 250r. Nothing but low balls of 1500

It sold.

Last edited by Alphonse5; 02-22-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 PM

Think about everyone on the other side of the deal. Here's a 3-year old bike. Likely someone's first. It has fall damage. Higher miles than nearly all others (99% ditch a 250 before they put a few thousand on them). Has been superseded by a newer model. It's the dead of winter. That's the way the cards fall.

Making a profit on selling a bike, or for that matter, just breaking even with what you paid, is coming out on top. Losing just a couple hundred to sell it, is a small price to pay for the joy and experience you had with it during the time you owned it.

So one: someone can get a great deal on a good bike to serve them well, and two: you get most of your money back and the fun was worth the difference.
shisoshin and MotoMike like this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 04:30 AM

Garage
Partially how I felt the first time I put mine up for sale. With the exception being the only responses I got were "what is the lowest you'll take?".

It feel insulting for someone not to at least offer something.

Depending on your reasoning for selling it, you could always turn it into a naked bike.

Or pull the motor and make a fun little go kart.

Patiently waiting until I can ride again

post #4 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 12:21 PM

I sell a lot of items on eBay, but I avoid using Craigslist. While you will get a few lowball offers on eBay, the practice is out of control on Craigslist. Never expect to get your asking price. Everyone on Craigslist is looking for a steal and even if you list something hundreds of dollars under the going price they will still try and talk you down. I removed the last 2 sale items I put on Craigslist after getting nothing but genuinely insulting offers, even after providing proof that the price I was listing was almost half the value of the items listed. It's like a badge of honor to some of these folks if they can talk you down to the point where you're giving it away and they lose interest very quickly if you show any inflexibility at all. Try listing it for $500 more than you want and let them talk you down and you MIGHT get what you want for it, if you don't mind fielding multiple calls from people who are basically "window shopping" and hoping to catch you unaware.

As far as my 2011 CBR, I've given up any hope that I could actually sell it for any kind of decent price. Or trade it in for much either. I doubt in today's market I could get anywhere near a grand for it. Too old (even though it's in mint condition with low mileage) and too many new small (and cheap) small displacement bikes out there that you could buy new. It's not worth the trouble for me to even consider selling it for a few hundred bucks, so I'm just going to keep it whether I purchase a new bike or not in the coming months and ride the hell out of it until I wear it out. Being a Honda, that could take quite a while.
shisoshin likes this.

Last edited by TrueFaith; 02-19-2017 at 12:28 PM.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,611 Times in 1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse5 View Post
I posted about 3 months ago about fair price selling my 2013 cbr250r with now 18k miles on it and the consensus seemed to be between 1800 and 2k was a fair price. After 3 months of it sitting on cragsilist the ONLY offer I get is 1500.. I have no idea whats going but its kinda weird everyone offers that and wont budge. I gave up on try to make a little money on the bike and am now trying to just get what I paid. Its 85 degrees here and does not snow so its not like there is an off season. Hell, someone even told me trade in value at the dealer was 1800 for their 2012 in another area. Just last year the last owner paid 2700 for this bike at the dealer. I have tried posting it higher and seeing if anyone offers 1700 and I have tried pricing lower at 1700.. Nope.. 1500.. My bike is the cheapest one within 300 miles..

The bike had fallen over and everyone tries the same thing.. Oh.. looks like it needs work.. Everyone makes the biggest deal out of scratches and a hair line crack on a fender. Its already priced MUCH lower than mint bikes. How many fuel injected bikes can you get at this price with a newer body style???

Ugh..
First, you've got a couple things working against you...

From what you said, it sounds like you're at least the 3rd owner of this bike?

And while you didn't say what you paid for it, unless you actually paid significantly less that its market value at the time, it's very unlikely that you could realistically expect to make money on re-selling it. Just like cars, motorcycles do not appreciate in value.

That it has 18,000 miles and cosmetic damage puts it into the 'low resale' value, not 'high resale' value. Another factor which affects resale value is whether it needs replacement of any of the normal wear/maintenance items like tires, chain & sprockets, brake pads, etc.

Finally, consider the fact that low mileage, cosmetically clean CBR250R/RA's which need nothing and are ready to ride can be bought for $2000 to $2500 all day long. Without having seen the condition of your bike in person, I'd tend to think that $1500 is probably a reasonable offer on your bike.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #6 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
First, you've got a couple things working against you...

From what you said, it sounds like you're at least the 3rd owner of this bike?

And while you didn't say what you paid for it, unless you actually paid significantly less that its market value at the time, it's very unlikely that you could realistically expect to make money on re-selling it. Just like cars, motorcycles do not appreciate in value.

That it has 18,000 miles and cosmetic damage puts it into the 'low resale' value, not 'high resale' value. Another factor which affects resale value is whether it needs replacement of any of the normal wear/maintenance items like tires, chain & sprockets, brake pads, etc.

Finally, consider the fact that low mileage, cosmetically clean CBR250R/RA's which need nothing and are ready to ride can be bought for $2000 to $2500 all day long. Without having seen the condition of your bike in person, I'd tend to think that $1500 is probably a reasonable offer on your bike.

The previous owner had the brake pads, chain and tires replaced at the dealer. I have the receipts to the work done and none of that stuff needs to be replaced.. Also, if you search for bikes 1500 an under NONE OF THEM RUN or they are from 95. So I am selling a running bike for as much as someone would pay for a bike from 95 or non running early 2000's bike. This bike came from the dealer about 7 months ago with service contract and I have that paper work to. Futhermore if I extend my search state wide I can't find one 2010+ cbr250r for 1500.

Last edited by Alphonse5; 02-20-2017 at 01:38 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,611 Times in 1,914 Posts
All I can see in that photo ^ in the way of damage is a quarter sized scar on the R.H. corner of the upper cowl. You said in the OP that the front fender was cracked... that is a inexpensive part to replace, less than $30 Honda Motorcycle Parts 2013 CBR250R 3AC FRONT FENDER Diagram

It does seem hard to believe that someone wouldn't offer you more than $1500. Really, $1700 doesn't seem unreasonable for that bike. Maybe it's just the time of year... I know that in a couple months time lots of people will be buying and selling motorcycles. In Jan & Feb, not so much.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #8 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 11:14 PM

$1700 was what he said he paid in his original posts. So selling for around $1500 I don't think is too much of a drag.

If you really want more for it, you're going to have to sell in peak riding season. I'd also just replace the fender for $30 instead of explaining that it's cracked. Don't hide the fact that it's been dropped though; that's dirty.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
$1700 was what he said he paid in his original posts. So selling for around $1500 I don't think is too much of a drag.

If you really want more for it, you're going to have to sell in peak riding season. I'd also just replace the fender for $30 instead of explaining that it's cracked. Don't hide the fact that it's been dropped though; that's dirty.
If I replace the 30 dollar fender and muffler cover I will NOT tell anyone that it has been dropped. Whats the point of replacing the parts only to tell them its been dropped so they can find some reason to low ball you.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-19-2017, 11:31 PM

Thanked 1,303 Times in 809 Posts
when an old lady almost took me out
in an almost full head on, her husband
didnt want to give insurance details etc
'whats the problem, its alright, no damage'
another motorcyclist happened to be there
who pointed out 'the damage isnt just what
you can see, it could be a write off'...

turned out after i rode her home, seeming ok
steering etc, repair came to $1600..
a pro repairer with own racing team and
preferred repairer of my insurer [she paid]..

thing is a motorcycle with dents, scratches,
cracks etc, could have got them anywhere,
any situation.. by the previous owner [s]..

i almost bought a used cbr250r, for $4000aud
firm, no offers, when average price for good
examples was 2.5 - 3kaud [about 1.9 -2.3kusa$]..

it was lowish miles, immaculate, not a mark on it,
garaged, one mature owner, full svc history,
excellent tyres, upgrades etc..
he was selling that, how the bike had been ridden
and maintained.. its true condition..

[took honda xmas special added 1500 for new cbr300ra]
when looking at bike or car ads firs parameter is mileage..
only even look at low mile vehicles, then those with
full svs history and preferably one experienced owner,
garaged and well maintained and ridden/driven..
thats what i am buying, and paying for]

otherwise, its what the buyer is willing to pay for..

[with hindsight, if id kept and stored my cb72, cb450
and 2 cb750sohc 4's, that would have been a nice
appreciation of value...]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page