New rider scared to rev high... - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 04-17-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New rider scared to rev high...

I'm a new rider - got my first bike, 2012 tri-color CBR250R last week, and I've been riding it everywhere I can. I am also scared to rev the engine above 6,000 RPM, because it gets so loud, and sounds like the engine might explode! I know that it's just the nature of a high-revving engine - what I can liken the sound to is when I first drove a Honda Civic Si; I was scared it too might blow up...

I know it's ok to take the engine all the way up into its power band, but I suppose I need some reassurance from you guys that it's fine. The bike is mechanically sound, with zero issues, and around 8,200 miles. I'm not looking to go fast right now as I'm still learning - but I feel like I'm short-shifting each time I ride. I'd appreciate your input and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-18-2017, 01:28 AM

Have you signed up for a MSF riding course, yet? If nothing else, you will meet riders (instructors) who can tell by listening if all is well with your bike.
How do you know it is mechanically sound? Have you had it in the shop since you bought it?

Does it have an aftermarket muffler on it? If so, scare up a used original and put it on. You will find it is a completely different motorcycle. The OEM muffler is quite heavy, but it includes the catalytic convertor, and a well-damped muffler.
Quite possible that is where your noise is coming from.

You can hurt the engine if you lug it (run it at low RPM).
pooder7 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
post #3 of 30 Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM

6k RPM is just when the engine is starting to come alive. Wring its little neck and don't feel bad about it; they love it!

Seriously; ignition cutoff is 10,500 RPM. It's good for an engine to be revved occasionally, and will do absolutely no harm to the bike as long as your maintenance is up to snuff. If it's in good running condition, twist the wrist, and the growl coming out of the pipe will be an eager and anxious reassurance that your bike is happy to please.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

post #4 of 30 Old 04-18-2017, 02:44 PM

Garage
Well on the road shifting at 6000 is perfect. There is no need to go super high revs if your not planning on going fast. Also try to cruise above 3000 though, because under that it will start to lug and that is harmful. But you are going to have to get comfortable with going into the high rpm range. On the highway you will be at a minimum of ~6500. This bike does get very viby above 6000 and its something you'll have to accept.

Glad that you have started riding and on such a good starter bike!

2012 CBR250R Black
Mods:
Racetech springs and emulators, Yamaha R6 shock, Yoshi Rearset Risers, Babyface GP Shift adapter, EBC HH Sintered Front and Rear Brake Pads, CBR600RR pegs, Mirror delete with CBR600RR block offs, Ebay Bar-end mirror, Red LED dash, The2Wheels levers, Homemade Fender Eliminator, LED Blinkers, Tank pads and grips, CBR300R seat, Spider Peak red Grips, Vortex Clip ons, DFC,
Soon to be mods:
Slip on exhaust, Matte Black rims, Spiegler Steel Braided Brakes Lines
post #5 of 30 Old 04-18-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR Blaize View Post

This bike does get very viby above 6000 and its something you'll have to accept.
Odd, mine doesn't. Mine's rather viby below 4,500 rpm.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #6 of 30 Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
Have you signed up for a MSF riding course, yet? If nothing else, you will meet riders (instructors) who can tell by listening if all is well with your bike.
How do you know it is mechanically sound? Have you had it in the shop since you bought it?

Does it have an aftermarket muffler on it?
Yes, I've taken the MSF course and have my motorcycle endorsement/license. The bike is mechanically sound - I've had it looked at by a local shop I trust. No aftermarket muffler.

What I'm getting at is that it's more of a psychological thing; it's me, not the bike. Having driven cars/cages most of my life, it's just a lot more visceral than anything else I've had on the road, and I'm getting used to the sounds. It sounds loud, but I'm learning that's perfectly ok.
pooder7 likes this.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 PM

Try ear plugs. Most serious riders won't ride without them. I wish I had started when I got my first bike in 1976.
It did take awhile to get used to them (the quiet), but after that, I couldn't snap the chin guard on my helmet shut without them. That would remind me!

It is mostly about wind noise, and it will damage your hearing!

Have fun, wear all the gear you have, all the time, and get the gear that you don't have.

See my signature links.
jkv357, Stichill, pooder7 and 1 others like this.

(no affilliation)
post #8 of 30 Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
Try ear plugs. Most serious riders won't ride without them. I wish I had started when I got my first bike in 1976.
It did take awhile to get used to them (the quiet), but after that, I couldn't snap the chin guard on my helmet shut without them. That would remind me!

It is mostly about wind noise, and it will damage your hearing!

Have fun, wear all the gear you have, all the time, and get the gear that you don't have.

See my signature links.
LISTEN to this guy . . . while you still can!

I rode without ear plugs for too many years, and now I have tinnitus from it. You don't want tinnitus. And yes, it's about the wind noise 'cause most of my early riding was on a quiet K75 with stock exhaust and I was wearing a full-face helmet.

So, please wear ear plugs when you're at highway speeds for longer than a few minutes; your ears will thank you.

"What do YOU care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
post #9 of 30 Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 PM

As others have noted - earplugs may help.

Zipping up to redline on occasion isn't bad, and it helps clear the combustion chamber of deposits. There are a few threads here that talk about engine problems like burned valves and such, and the rider admits to short-shifting and lugging the engine.

Always make sure the oil is fresh and up to the proper level, as there isn't much in there. Make sure the engine is up to operating temp for a while - then let 'er rip!

Just be sure you are in a safe location, and know where the road is going, as the extra acceleration may catch you off-guard initially. Power peaks about 8500, but you are safe to go up to the red - no problem.
don'tpanic likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 04-19-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all of the input. It's not an issue of being too loud and damaging my hearing (although earplugs are a good idea!) but I feel "bad" revving it above like 6,000 RPM because it's just loud and engaging, but I'm getting used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
6k RPM is just when the engine is starting to come alive. Wring its little neck and don't feel bad about it; they love it!
I went on a fun ride this afternoon after work, and noticed myself getting used to the engine sound the more I ride. I thought about this post and kept telling myself out loud to "wring its little neck"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page