Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Dealership visit Ninja 300 vs CBR250R impression

26K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  Bullseye 
#1 ·
From the Ninja300.org forum.

I took a look at the Ninja 300 and the CBR250R at my local dealer. After some setting and touching, I got the following impressions. It felt like the CBR is roomier leg wise (For my 32 inseam). The CBR seemed narrower & lighter, almost like a motorized bicycle. That's a good thing if you are looking for the ultimate featherweight machine. In my personal opinion the CBR's combined ABS eliminates any risk of flying over the handlebars under emergency braking but again, what do I know besides marketing mambo jambo hype. The sales executive said that the CBR tops out at 81MPH but it can go faster depending on the riders weight. Design wise, the Honda seems well put together and fine looking to me. Again, this is a matter of personal taste. Now, here comes the Ninja 300. It felt tighter leg wise. My legs were uncomfortably touching the top side of the tank. The Ninja seemed more like a real motorcycle compared to the CBR. It felt heavier and chunkier. That's good if you are looking for something closer to a real motorcycle. The only thing that the Ninja screamed motorized bicycle was the skinny rear rubber, but again, the CBR rubber was the same thing. The ABS set up on the Ninja isn't as sophisticated as the CBR's Combined ABS. The sales executive said that the Ninja tops out at 101MPH. This top speed figures were average after different riders got to play with them (Results will vary based on the riders weight. This applies to the CBR too). Design wise, I really like both except for their skinny rear rubber. The Ninja seemed more like the ZX6/10R on the headlights fairing part. That's a very cool thing in my opinion but again I really like the Baby VFR look on the CBR. Sorry but I don't have riding impressions to share. If I had the cash on hand I could test ride both otherwise just seat and touch. Now, here comes the bonus review. The Ninja ZX6R 636 was sitting there, Kawi green, ABS and traction control. It look cool and aggressive. ZX10R copied front and previous ZX6R butt. The dash looked cheap to me. The tank seemed much chunkier after seating on the Ninja 300. Leg room was within street bike contort. To me the ZX10R felt super uncomfortable for street riding. I wouldn't get a ZX10R. I wouldn't be able to stand that thing in the street for 10 minutes (or the Beemer S1000RR & Duc 1199). The 1000RR seemed to be the only street comfy literbike to me. I hope you guys enjoyed my limited review. Sorry in advance for my horrible writing.

See less See more
#6 ·
From the Ninja300.org forum.

... The CBR seemed narrower & lighter, almost like a motorized bicycle... The sales executive said that the CBR tops out at 81MPH but it can go faster depending on the riders weight... The Ninja seemed more like a real motorcycle compared to the CBR. It felt heavier and chunkier. That's good if you are looking for something closer to a real motorcycle. The only thing that the Ninja screamed motorized bicycle was the skinny rear rubber, but again, the CBR rubber was the same thing... Sorry but I don't have riding impressions to share. If I had the cash on hand I could test ride both otherwise just seat and touch...
Just an educated guess on my part... you must be on the fence on whether to buy a CBR250R, or a Ninja 300, yes? Your approach with this thread is interesting. If I were someone trying to decide which of these two motorcycle to buy, I think I'd go to the respective forums and after reading and digesting existing threads, start a thread asking members of those forums for their actual real world riding impressions, as well as any specific questions about the two bikes. I think that it is fair to say that there are a large number of members on this forum who have many, many miles of seat time on the CBR. I'm sure the ninjette forum has some members who have miles and seat time on the 300 as well. That approach would be much more useful to yourself, and others who are looking to make a more educated buying decision with regards to these two motorcycles. Otherwise, your post here kind of comes off as "preaching to the choir", at least as far as the CBR is concerned. Honestly, a review of the bike that you are currently riding would be far more interesting to a lot of us here.

#8 ·
I'll be taking a 250R to go please. According to reviews the 250R is more civilized. Ergo and suspension settings are street bias. More reasonable for the everyday commuter (Like me). Plus, you can't go wrong with a Honda. I never had a Kawasaki consequently it would be a leap of faith on my part.

#7 ·
Nice write-up. I have the same 32" inseam, so that observation is helpful. At this point, I'm pleased with the CBR250R and wasn't seriously looking at the Ninja 300. The potential of a new CBR500R and, even more interesting to me, a standard 500cc from Honda, leaves everything else temporarily on the sidelines and keeps me from making any moves for a while.

#9 ·
Funny, I kind of "get" the reference to "motorized bicycle".

When I first got my CBR250R, it seemed big to me because I had never ridden a street bike before (just dirt bikes). But now that I'm closing in on 2000 miles in the saddle, oddly enough just last night while riding after dinner I actually had the thought, "I'm getting to such a point of comfort with this machine that I'm tossing it around like a bicycle with a little engine attached underneath."

#12 ·
Welcome to the fray! I like the way you introduced yourself. LOL :)

#15 ·
You are a funny guy :D.
I introduced myself before. Like it or not, The 250R is ridiculously tiny. That's what make this thing so interesting and cool to me. The Ninja 300 did seemed more bike like. Honestly, that's not what I am looking for. I am not looking for a big bike. I already own one. I am looking for the smaller and lighter bike or scooter with ABS that can cruise at 80MPH on the freeway at high altitude (Colorado) "all day long without over heating". I don't really know if is achievable with the 250R. I'm a big guy (204 pounds butt naked:p). I really like scooters for what I would use the 250R. My thing is that I don't believe there are 250cc scooters that are light, fast and stylish as the 250R. The MOTORIZED BICYCLE (LOL) that I am looking for needs to reach and stay at 80MPH comfortably. The lighter the better. Finally, I do like the VFR looks. I don't see how can people get so brassy over something so silly. Oh well. I can't control what others do. Cheers.

#13 ·
The fuel economy claims I've seen floating around for the 300 suck. Ridden hard, I can't get the CBR250R below 60mpg. Reviews left and right are claiming 50mpg, and even a little less, for the 300 ridden hard. That would be Kawasaki's consistency as keeping the Ninjette a mini-super-sport with high redline/hp per displacement. The CBR250R is a mini-sport-touring bike and its refinement/ergos show it.

#24 ·
at one end you have a tin box auto, t'other a honda moto3 bike,
which is from a 125 racing chassis etc with 250cc motor..
the moto3 racing 250cc motorcycles have smaller rear tires
than the cbr250r, and are nevertheless real motorcycles..

for me the cbr250r is a completely new design within
low production price range = sale price, which shows
excellence in design by [eg] its small, tight, integrated,
basically light weight well balanced motorcycle form..
to each his own, of course, and there are all sorts of
motorcycles available that are "chunky" and heavy
and, limited in application..

on the road, its just me and black beauty,
couldnt give a s..t what anyone else thinks
they think about us, or whether she lacks
'chunkiness' or whatever..
esp when it comes to easing thru to the
head of the traffic line at lights, or falling
calmly into a tight curve just like shes
been designed for, motorcycling..

and surprisingly perhaps, im not just mad,
as others have already commented on
what a beautiful bike she is...

comments like "gee, that looks like fun!"
i take as almost, an insult,, but well meaning..
having had many motorcycles incl 1000cc ariel
queensland police special [black and chrome]
early gsxr750 suzuki, four other hondas incl
2 750/4s [with improvements, paint etc]
i can assure anyone that this cbr250r
is a real motorcycle...

for the money, ease of maintenance,
long service intervals, rideability,
handling [even on stock tires]
braking [esp braking, with abs]
and general eagerness thru
suburbia and the nutcases,
this must be one of the
best motorcycles
available :)

#28 ·
#29 ·
There is a guy on youtube who had 185 miles and still had 3 bars on his fuel guage for the 300. Not sure what he is averaging, but I can't 3 bars on 250 at those miles..i hit 165 and my guage will show one and be flashing.

Reactions: putoff
#30 ·
just remember the ninja holds about 5 more litres of fuel so the ninja should definately show more miles on the trip meter compared to the cbr when you go to fill up :)

#33 ·
I have owned both. The 250r is pretty good but lacks the ability to climb a hill in 6th gear unless it is revving high to get the torque, whereas the 300 will do the same hill at lower speed in 6th gear as well due to the extra torque. the 300 is smoother due to two cylinders. I geared my 300 up to 15 tooth front sprocket and it still superior to the 250. The 300 side stand is easier to put down because it is behind the footpeg.

#36 ·
I get 74mpg on my red/silver one. But I see alot of mentions about the Ninja 300. I thought when I joined this forum, I thought it's supposed to about the CBR250R and not worry about how kawi riders! I'm a former kawi rider and I don't regret buying my CBR. In the future, I see me buying the CBR600 and the Honda mid cruiser 750 Phantom.

#38 ·
I'm with you brother. I like kawi, don't get me wrong, think they've done a lot for the quarter-liter classes, and the 300 is pretty sweet. But I've trusted the Honda name for a long time when it comes to bikes, love my 250CBR and pretty much has not let me down on various of different uses. It looks sharps, rides great, and has a little more of that peace of mind behind the brand and model. I'll probably eventually get me a cruiser from Honda, but realistically, since I'm not racing, or never really need to get about 60mpH where I live, the 250 will do just fine for a loooonnng time.

#39 ·
Took the wife up to local dealer to check out the new kaw 300, she loved everything about it and wanted me to buy it right on the spot. But thats what she said about the cbr 250 to and that didnt even last a year and thats gone. The salesman was trying hard to convince us how much better it was than the honda. We left and told him we would come back in the spring for a rest ride. I too liked the bike but not about to buy one before i even get a chance to ride it.

#42 ·
I rrrrreally like my CBR250r and have no real complaints about it !!!

BUT........

I was at a Kawasaki dealer and saw a Ninja 300 "in person"............. in "moondust grey"..................HOLY COW is that a nice bike !!! Very sexy !!! Looks fantastic !! Red pinstripping on the bike and rims !!! Looks really nice.

I don't think it's so nice that I want to trade my CBR for it BUT still is a very nice bike. It's more of an equal bike ...than moving up !! (IMHO)

(I must be weakening............cause I ended up buying a new 2011 KLR as a stable mate for my CBR !!! And I thought I bled "Honda" blood !!! LOL)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.