Let's talk about rain - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #11

A friend of mine who's an experienced tourer swears by "dry bags". I have used something similar while canoing in the Boundary Waters between the US and Canada; I can tell you that they work!

They have a full line of other styles as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stichill For This Useful Post:
Empty Sea (11-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #12

Pack everything in sturdy plastic bags with twist ties and bring extras to stay organized as you use items along the way. Stay low on the bike so the wind blows you around less. Make sure your helmet visor works well. You need a pin lock. Bring several pairs of gloves so you have something to wear while the others are drying out which can take more than 1 day. If it is really pouring, you have to slow down and find someone to follow in the right lane. Ride in their tire tracks where the water has been temporarily pushed out and let them hit whatever animal runs out into the road for you. Following a blocker. Twisted Throttle has some nice soft luggage systems which can keep the weight low and forward on the bike. You might get by with 60 liters although I tend to use up closer to 90 with a tent and sleeping bag.
Bags-Connection Drybags (34 or 60 liter sizes available) - Dry Bags - Luggage & Racks - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (03-01-2013), Empty Sea (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #13

There are many good street riding boots out there that have some sort of waterproof (Gortex) barrier. Mine are 17 years old and even with one seam splitting, my feet are dry regardless of what is going on outside.
Mine are BMW brand, which carries a Roundel Surcharge, but they are great boots.

I like the gloves that glred gave a link to. I have a pair of them. They are very good. But Aerostich took it one step further and incorporated a squeege:
Aerostich Triple Digit Covers - Rain Gear - Rain Gear - Clothing :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
And you can even get them in safety orange!

Install some Hyperlite-type LED brake flashers. But still keep in mind that you are invisible to people looking at their electronic device.
Hyperlites Flashing led motorcycle brake lights, runing lights, and turn signals, Standard Dual Function

If you are wearing a mesh jacket for summer, it probably has a internal rain liner.
That is fine, and will keep your arms and torso dry, but the trouble is (I found out), the rain goes through the mesh, hits the liner, and runs down into your gloves.
The next time I have to ride in rain in my mesh, I will put my traditional rain gear over it all, NBD.

I have already had the opportunity to test my new winter coat in a driving rain (forced me off the interstate), and it came through with flying colors! No rain suit needed with it!
It is a Tourmaster Epic jacket. It is no summer jacket, though.
Tour Master Epic Jacket - RevZilla
Price is good on closeout, but it's two major drawbacks are narrow forearms and heavy weight (something to consider on a 250...).

For luggage, I always like those storage bags that are basically over-sized ziplock bags, but they have a one-way valve that allows you to roll the bag after closing and squeeze all of the air out of them.
Amazon.com: Lewis N. Clark Compression Packers 3 Piece Set, Clear: Clothing Amazon.com: Lewis N. Clark Compression Packers 3 Piece Set, Clear: Clothing

You might also want to consider some hand protectors. These are the ones I am saving up for:
Zeta Racing Products | Handlebars and Grips | Zeta XC Hand Protectors - Wheeling Cycle Supply
Zeta Racing Products | Handlebars and Grips | Zeta Armor Handguard - Wheeling Cycle Supply
There are bigger ones out there, but I want something with some style to it, too. Mostly I want the expensive guards to hold my muffs off the controls.

Good luck on your trip. Start off with fresh (but scrubbed in!) rubber.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don'tpanic For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (03-01-2013), Empty Sea (11-02-2012), northernlights (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #14

Depending on when you go you probably won't have to worry about rain. This isn't Seattle, after all.

The roads up north are pretty fun. I'd recommend taking M22 from Manistee up to Northport and then heading south into Traverse City.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #15

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asako View Post
Depending on when you go you probably won't have to worry about rain. This isn't Seattle, after all.

The roads up north are pretty fun. I'd recommend taking M22 from Manistee up to Northport and then heading south into Traverse City.
I'm not concerned too much about the probability of rain. I am concerned about being prepared to ride through it should the rain come. We are planning to take a somewhat leisurely trip around the lake over several days, but the possibility of having to get to a particular point by a particular time does exist. That could necessitate riding in foul weather. Of course, I am optimistic that a late June trip will keep the rain possibilities to a minimum.

Thanks for the route recommendation. I will check it out on a map.

Bring us back to where they've led
Listen not to what's been said to you
Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #16

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Sea View Post
I think it will involve riding a well-packed bike in the rain at speed.
So you want to surf the tarmac, excellent, welcome!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #17

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Sea View Post

1. Gear: not limited to apparel. Extra items I should bring in case of rain, bag recommendations, packing items related to a week long trip (not camping though) or related to changing weather conditions.

2. Thoughts, warnings, and/or encouragement about riding in bad weather.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert nor do I claim to be one, just a rider.

1. Procure the best gear you can find, although Less is Better, yes really. Waterproof suit and boots, non-cotton layers, heated liner, use a new shield for touring, multiple pairs of gloves(heated, summer, Gore-tex), balaclava,cash, sign up for AMA's roadside assistance, trip interruption benefits from your insurance company, maps, maps, charger for electronics, plug kit or slime and pump, small piece of wood/platform for the kick stand for parking on dirt, sunglasses, water container, tank bag, plastic bags as a back up. Again less is better.

2. fact: it sucks 90% of the time . Avoid the superslab if you can. Practice around your area when it rains on familiar roads. Sleep well, rest during, eat, hydrate, relax, is not a race. It's a whole new experience. Enjoy the Ride.

Last edited by Ibex250R; 11-03-2012 at 02:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibex250R For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (03-01-2013), Empty Sea (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #18

The first time I saw FroggToggs I thought "A paper rain suit?? This is a joke, right?" After several years I kept hearing about how great they are. I finally bought a set. They pack down very small and weigh nothing! I have worn them in a downpour and not gotten a drop on me. They are all pretty much the same but the motorcycle ones have a hood that goes under your helmet. This keeps rain off your neck. Be careful around sharp objects. FroggToggs will rip. Duct tape can repair them.

Go to aerostich.com for glove covers and boot covers. They also wad up very small. Use a tank bag so you don't have to dig through all your stuff when the rain hits. Chemical heat packs are good for the occasional chilly day. Dry bags can be found wherever canoes and kayaks are sold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olhogrider For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (03-01-2013), Empty Sea (11-03-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #19

Have an Icon coat that worked good for about a year, now it leaks like a sieve. I'm still too cheap to spring for the Aerostitch @$575. Might try this Olympia coat
Olympia AST 2 Jacket - RevZilla
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #20

The most annoying part is your visor getting fogged or water staying on your visor; wax it with something water resistant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement