Let's talk about rain - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #21

I saw a pop up add for the Tourmaster Flex 2 for $115. Perfect sport touring jacket. I will probably buy another one at that price so I always have a dry one the next day.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #22

Keep your visor clean with Plexus. And use a pin lock.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
Empty Sea (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I saw a pop up add for the Tourmaster Flex 2 for $115. Perfect sport touring jacket. I will probably buy another one at that price so I always have a dry one the next day.
That's smart, run two, mine is always still damp the next ride. these textiles just get soaked. I think I may have to use rain gear over my coat. The last review for the olympia coat says it leaks pretty bad. I don't think the aerostitch is going to be any better for rain, these materials are OK for a little while, for hours in the rain, you need a full barrier, rubberized gear
The Following User Says Thank You to qlred For This Useful Post:
Empty Sea (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #24

Notice that my rain pants are right on top of my pack so I can grab them quickly without digging for them. Do not get wet before stopping for all of your rain gear. If your clothes get wet underneath first, you will FREEZE even after you put on your outer shell in temps as high as 50F. It took me 90 minutes in the restaurant to recover enough core temp to continue after riding 2 hours while pre soaked.
You can get another 20 liters in a tall tank bag. I keep things handy in the tank bag like toilet paper, medicine, a kick stand puck, food bars, a fleece sweater, ect. and a good headlamp such as the Black diamond Storm which is nice for rechargeables since it uses 4 cells yet still packs small.
BLACK DIAMOND Storm Headlamp - Eastern Mountain Sports
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (03-01-2013)
Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #25

Frogg Toggs. I have an Aerostich that does very well in short rain bursts, but for staying dry in day-long rain, nothing I have tried beats the 'Toggs, and now they have them in motorcycle-friendly designs.
(One caveat: you must zip the jacket all the way up or you'll wind up with a WET crotch.;^)

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm

Last edited by pooder7; 11-04-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooder7 View Post
Frogg Toggs. I have an Aerostich that does very well in short rain bursts, but for staying dry in day-long rain, nothing I have tried beats the 'Toggs, and now they have them in motorcycle-friendly designs.
(One caveat: you must zip the jacket all the way up or you'll wind up with a WET crotch.;^)

Motorcycle Raingear - Frogg Toggs Road Toads - Frog togs - Road Toggs
I'm going to try those thanks! The Icon went from hero to zero.

Riding in the rain really can be fun, we've had some excellent opportunities around here, very warm, in the 50s. But if they see you riding in the rain, these Washington drivers go stupid, times ten. Oh motorcycle behind me, I'll go 5 under, oh he's trying to pass, I'll go 25 over. It's like they're infuriated that you're out there.

I swear by this set up: a shower sqweegee, cut to size, on a retracting pull chain like the janitor keeps his keys on. Hang it out the bag, great for mist and heavy fog, which sticks to your visor.
The Following User Says Thank You to qlred For This Useful Post:
mill0048 (04-16-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #27

I've tried out Frogg Toggs Bull Frog rain coat and my initial impression is that it works well keeping water out. The material got soaked feeling but the inside stayed dry. Fits over my xl icon coat and it easy to get on.

The collar of the Bull Frog is too bulky over my coat collar and the hood is too hot and uncomfortable under my helmet. I think I'm going to have to cut the hood off. I'm usually only using a rain coat for 30-40 minutes at a time, and only need under the helmet protection during extreme downpours.

The coat is pretty light weight but a little too bulky to carry in my gear if I am not using it. Some people seem displeased with this entire product line, but it's a decent solution for me, for now.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #28

Garage

I love my Frogg Toggs.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #29

I've had to change my riding style a lot since monsoon season started.
TAKE SHARP CORNERS SLOW!
I've nearly come off several times now because wet roads and sharp bends are such a bad mix. You can feel your back wheel starting to slide sideways.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #30

Yup, other than track, roundabouts and wet weather have caused all my off's - does a bit of damage bouncing off curbs horizontally ... it's the oil / diesel that cars / trucks drop at even low speed and moderate lean angle. I now put one foot out, motorcross style on really small roundabouts in the wet, to catch the front washing out - but slow WAY down and keep bike as vertical as possible.

Hypersport tyres like Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's are not overly helpful in wet conditions either, the stock tyres are better with the bigger blocks. I've also read the suggestion to pull in somewhere for the first 30 minutes of rain after a dry spell. If you can see suds on the road the rain still hasn't washed off the top layer of slippery road grime.

Outside of cities - you should find road more pleasant re oil, but watch out for those rainbow filmy patches - try and stay in either car track - especially around corners, (which is hard) - think about road camber too.

Also take plenty of spare cloths to dry / clear visor - I take the nikwax spray stuff in my tank bag and in heavy rain, maybe reapply every hour, or when it stops beading. Yeah fog is bad, it takes quite a while to bead and run off, and visibility drops. I found once the beading starts, it improves marginally.

In the countryside, away from civilisation, the cold / wet is an issue, if you get soaked, how far do you have to ride to find somewhere you can dry out & warm up? How much will you become extra cold getting there? For wilderness stuff, it'd be similar to bush walking, take a space blanket type shelter bag, or a cheap bivvy bag for when it all goes tits up and you want somewhere to escape? Change into wets before you get drenched - in another 30 seconds you will be wet through. I have some great latex overboots from the US, they are 100% waterproof and keep my feet toasty with windchill. Can also wear a more comfortable touring boot under it.

I'd consider heated grips or bark busters as essential for even short touring in cold climates - your hands will get very cold.

Oh and how about something for your bum, AirHawks are great (small pillion fits well) I get around three hours between tank refills, and my entire lower half goes numb without an AH after about two in that saddle.

Last edited by Phat3R; 03-01-2013 at 09:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phat3R For This Useful Post:
CBR250R (03-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement