Ethanol? No Thanks . . . - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Default Ethanol? No Thanks . . .

Don't we all wish it were that easy. Yeah, I know that CBR250R thankfully has fuel injection so I won't have to go through the pull-the-carb-flush-the-tank drill but recently having to do this with my carburated scooter got me to look up what the policy on ethanol is here in California.

You can't just go to a station that doesn't sell ethanol because they all sell ethanol in one blend or another. Not only that, they don't tell you what the blend is. The state will only say that they do not mandate that anyone put ethanol in their gas yet they all do to meet the emissions standards.

So, the manual says E10 is OK but E15 isn't. What to do? When they all go to E20 will my American Honda warranty be voided? Will it really rot away fuel system components and I find my self clutching my head in anguish as I find my bike sitting in a puddle of ethanol?

Or, can this bike handle it and I have nothing to worry about? Yeah, I still put an ounce of Seafoam in my tank when I fill up. Better safe . . .
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Garage

Thats a good question, since I see America trying to use more ethanol in the future because we can grow a lot of corn, and don't need it all, and trying to cut our dependency on foreign oil.

The question for me isn't if it will void the warranty but rather how will the ceebee run on more than E10?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

according to a comprehensive list of vehicle models
suitable for E5 or E10 use' [includes motorcycles]
Honda; All motorcycles; X's for both E5 & E10..

also; 'As a solvent, ethanol attacks both the metallic
and rubber based fuels lines, and other fuel components.

Ethanol also has an affinity to water that can result in corrosion of
fuel tanks and fuel lines. Rust resulting from this corrosion can
ultimately block the fuel supply rendering the engine inoperable.
Water in the fuel system can also result in the engine
hesitating and running roughly.

Fuel Injected Engings
In addition to the issues mentioned above for carburettor equipped engines,
the use of ethanol blended petrol in fuel injection systems will result in early
deterioration of components such as injector seals, delivery pipes,
and fuel pump and regulator.

Mechanical fuel injection systems and earlier electronic systems may not
be able to fully compensate for the lean-out effect of ethanol blended petrol,
resulting in hesitation or flat-spots during acceleration.

Difficulty in starting and engine hesitation after cold start can also result' unq.

[http://www.fcai.com.au/environment/c...blend-petrol-]
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #4

well i use e20 on my nsr 150 2strok on all my cars and my cbr250r no problem so far
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdma946552 View Post
well i use e20 on my nsr 150 2strok on all my cars and my cbr250r no problem so far
That's good to hear.

Around here they never tell you how much ethanol content is in the gas. With Honda's language in the manual (and presumably the warranty), I'm concerned that the warranty might be voided should an issue arise that might be related to the use of ethanol.

Honestly, I've got nothing against ethanol, really. I know it's probably here to stay. It's just having recently suffered from it's affects I'm just a little apprehensive of what might happen. If I was given a choice of grade I would certainly use the lower concentration.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #6

Garage

Ill just pay the extra 10c per liter & use 98 ron. It's all I use & never have a problem & I've found it gives better mileage.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecustu7 View Post
...I see America trying to use more ethanol in the future because we can grow a lot of corn, and don't need it all, and trying to cut our dependency on foreign oil.
I personally think ethanol fuel is ridculous for so many reasons, We do grow a lot of corn. However, currently 1/2 of the corn grown in the US is being diverted for ethanol production, and:
  • This increases the cost of beef, chicken, and any other form of livestock that depends on corn for food.
  • Diverting corn for ethanol costs lives. Historically, a large part of surplus corn has been given (or sold at low cost) to developing countries to ease the persistent food shortages they have. Many relief organizations are tying the increased price and decreased availability of corn as a major impediment to fighting malnutrition and starvation in third-world nations.
  • The quota for ethanol rises every year, and we just had a big drought in the West which the Department of Agriculture estimates will reduce corn yields by 13%. This means that all of the above problems will get worse.
  • We as taxpayers help make companies like Archer Daniels Midland even bigger. If you follow the news, you may have noticed that the $6-billion in corn subsidies went away last year, but the government rewarded their crony friends by mandating the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) that has caused corn prices to triple over their pre-mandate levels.
You might think this is strange coming from me - a strong supporter of Capitalism. However, this isn't Capitalism, this is (once again) the government picking winners and losers. The winners in this case are multi-billion-dollar corporations like ADM and their political minions (and this isn't just conservatives), and the losers are the people who can least afford to feed themselves.

If we're determined to go down the biofuel route, it needs to come from non-food plants like the Brazilians are using. Burning your food is stupid on so many levels.

Luke
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luke For This Useful Post:
eluo (11-06-2012), Frank Bama (11-06-2012), lenbrinke (11-06-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #8

Ethanol will decrease fuel mileage and destroy anything
with a carb. Also it will retain more water in your tank.

Always use an ethanol treatment. I use it even if the engine
says it can take ethanol gas.

I'm with Luke. It makes no sense. Lots of farms that would
produce other foods we need are converting to all corn. So
we are losing production of other foods.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

I use Sta-Bil products, I like their treatments a lot. With winter approaching I'm currently adding their fuel stabilizer to every fill-up and keeping my tank 95% full. In the warmer months I may switch to their ethanol treatment (although the fuel stabilizer takes care of it all).

So far I don't believe there's any place in the US that can allow more than 10% ethanol in their unleaded gasoline.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #10

Garage

Just a quick question , is ethanol fuel the only fuel available over in your part of the world ? Here in oz 98 is only 10-15 cpl more, on a full tank that's only $1.30 more a tank. Why wouldn't you just use the good stuff ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement