For all you monster fans out there if you turn in 60 tabs they give you a free monster back pack that what I use! This thing is awsome it can carry everything you need plus it has a pocket for labtops also, just go to monster.com or some people are selling them on eBay for $35-40 bucks
I don't think a real need really exists to buy a backpack designed by motorcycle gear makes.
If you carry a lot of stuff, or heavy stuff, do make sure to get a backpack with both a chest strap and a lap belt. If you don't have these features, the backpack will wiggle around at most inopportune time, like when you're leaning in a turn, or during a slow maneuver in a parking lot.
I have a bright yellow Northface backpack. Wasn't too expensive, and does its job quite well. However, I don't think it's water resistant.
I personally use my Hawg NV from camelbak. It's a great bag with a ton of usable space, designed for mountain biking, which I also do. But it's great at any event really, and keeps my back sweat free due to the back design... expensive yes, but so far worth every penny.
Camelbak's are the bomb... I use a Mule for off road riding on my XR400R. I've got the water tube set up with a quick disconnect valve, and rigged with velcro to my helmet, so I've got H2O available on the fly... it's a pretty sweet set up.
For road riding on my CBR, I prefer using a tail bag though... I'm not a fan of having any extra weight on my back, as the 2 piece A-Star leathers I wear are heavy enough. I use an OGIO Stealth tail bag, which is large enough to carry everything I need for day long road trips... rain gear, water, food, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
The problem with backpacks occurs when there is an unexpected dismount. Packs can get hung up or prevent proper rolling by the ex-rider. I'm comfortable wearing a camelbak pack that isn't too large, but when I "wear" a normal pack, I prefer to wear it in my saddle bag or lashed over the tail bag. The one saddle bag is pretty good sized.
John '89NX250 (daily rider), '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '14CB500XA ordered
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
I agree, I prefer to use a tail bag and not have the weight on me. However, if your going to use a back pack I would suggest (other than being waterproof and a bright color) it has a chest and waist strap. They make it so much more comfortable.
Went in to Walmart camping section and they had a $30 backpack with hydration bottle, chest straps and waist strap so going to try it out. If it leaks or tears or comes away at the seams, I will let you know.
I don't need water proof as I live in Las Vegas and the weather is 99% predictable by me and the other 1% will be confirmed by the weather lady.
It's kind of a Camelbak-a-like. If it's good, I will update either way.