after 2800 miles.... - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
Thanks guys.

cbrocker, how are you liking your new ride? Yeah, it was a roundabout in summerlin where I almost went down.

I'm practicing the two finger clutch and brake, its not entirely intuitive, but I can tell it can give you more precise control.
4 finger clutch, 2 finger brake is what most people do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #12

Manual says min87 octane. the thing to be aware of with the lower octane fuels is the ethanol content. As long as it is no higher than 10% you will be fine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptySet View Post
4 finger clutch, 2 finger brake is what most people do.
This is what comes naturally to me.

Never rode before and when riding, my hands just went in to that position.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #14

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRockers View Post
This is what comes naturally to me.

Never rode before and when riding, my hands just went in to that position.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
2 finger breaking is done so that throttle blipping can be done at the same for downshifting.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecustu7 View Post
2 finger breaking is done so that throttle blipping can be done at the same for downshifting.
I guess i'm a natural!!

Careful out there over the next couple of days Vagabond, the wind is wicked in the desert!!

Chance of rain tomorrow too...no roundabouts!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #16

Interesting point about the 600, I am at the same point now. What year 600 did you ride? The later models through '12 are only 410 lbs (curb weight), only 50 lbs heavier than the 250 (assuming non-ABS on both). Also, I'm really thinking the ideal bike for me will be the upcoming CBR500R. I've been giving this a lot of thought... extremely similar to the 250R but with an inline twin giving 47 (46.9) hp.

That said, MSF instructor said something that always stuck with me: "Riding a smaller bike at 80% is way more fun that riding a larger bike at 20%."

Throttle blip on downshift - yes, ideally you want to match your engine speed before you let out the clutch (for a number of reasons). When you get quick & smooth at it you won't need to cover the brake at the same time.

As far as fuel / octane preference, you'll get all different opinions. Personally, I track my mileage and I've found I definitely get better mpg's using 92 (U.S.) or above. The minimum octane I'll run is 89. The difference works out to about the same, money-wise. I also add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer / ethanol treatment each time I fill up (religiously during colder weather / less frequent riding periods).

Tire slip on road paint, I don't think new / different tires would help. That sounds like you just gave it a little too much power and/or lean as you rolled over the painted spot. I don't know that I'd want to put my foot down like that, but hey, it kept you up. I bet that one got your heart goin'!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #17

yeah, i think it was mostly a careless lean on my part that almost caused the spill. putting my foot down happened instantaneously and without any conscience thought. my foot bounced right off the asphalt, it didn't even take any rubber off of my boot. and yes, my heart was pounding.

the 600rr i rode was a 2006. it didn't feel "heavy", but with the 250 i feel like i can do almost anything effortlessly.

once i realized that i haven't learned to ride the 250 to its (and mine) maximum capabilities, it was easy to let go of the desire for a more powerful bike.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #18

Yup they changed up the 600 significantly in 07, so that makes sense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement