12000 km - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Talking 12000 km

Hey guys,

My 2011 CBR 250 is up for its 12,000 km servicing and would really appreciate if you could give me some heads up about it. I mean, is there any particular things I should be focusing at during servicing, anything extra to be checked up, and stuff. Also, anything you missed out on yours but would like me to get it done.

Also, I have been quoted $325.00 for the standard 12000 km servicing here in Canberra. Is it legit..??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Super Moderator

nice work man, 12k is a lot, i'm half way there and i thought i rode this bike a lot

i'm not too sure about the servicing but $325 should be alright, it won't need to be taken in for another 12,000 km so i think the price is ok.

By the way, still no ticket from the police? If so, that's a lucky break for you!

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #3

Thanks mate...n no I havnt received my ticket yet...nor does it look like is gonna come now...

Sent from my HTC One X using Motorcycle.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinmay For This Useful Post:
lewiCBR250R (11-12-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #4

12k is a valve check and adjust if required. there's not really much else you can do on these bikes, oil and filter obviously and a general check. i don't know when the coolant is supposed to be changed but i wouldn't have thought it would be after 12 months. i'm almost up for my 12k too, only about 300km left now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,042 Times in 1,542 Posts

$325 is a huge amount of money for what amounts to a glorified oil & filter change*... assuming you had the Valve Clearance Inspection done at 1000 km, the next VCI isn't on the Honda maintenance schedule until 25,600 km.

*There are a number of other items that should be checked at 12,000 km, however nothing that I can see which would justify paying $325 to have it done. $125 + parts would be fair and reasonable. Better yet, DIY and spend the money you saved on something else.

Last edited by MotoMike; 11-14-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
$325 is a huge amount of money for what amounts to a glorified oil & filter change*... assuming you had the Valve Clearance Inspection done at 1000 km.

*There are a number of other items that should be checked at 12,000 km, however nothing that I can see which would justify paying $325 to have it done. $125 + parts would be fair and reasonable. Better yet, DIY and spend the money you saved on something else.

Thanks MM, I totally agree that 325+ bucks isn't a small amount...I'm already at almost 12500 km and can't get a servicing date for next two weeks or so...will easily cross 13000km by then...

I wish I had those skills and knowledge to do suck things myself...but I'm purely mechanical and electrical illiterate. So can't do more than grinding my own teeth.:banghead:

Also, vci at thousands km...I'm not sure mate. I don't recall that was ever done....might be I'll check my servicing history....!!!

Sent from my HTC One X using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #7

Thanked 1,471 Times in 754 Posts

Valve clearance should be checked at 1000km and then at 24000km and every 24000km after that. It's in your Owner's Manual.

Click for mpg >>> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/489745.html
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,042 Times in 1,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
Thanks MM, I totally agree that 325+ bucks isn't a small amount...I'm already at almost 12500 km and can't get a servicing date for next two weeks or so...will easily cross 13000km by then...
Going a little past the 12000 km mark won't hurt anything.

Quote:
... Also, vci at thousands km...I'm not sure mate. I don't recall that was ever done....might be I'll check my servicing history....!!!
If the VCI hasn't been done previously on your bike, I would definitely get it done at this service interval. In which case the $325 you were quoted sounds like the going rate, including the VCI. When you take the bike in, tell whoever is writing up the Service Order that you want an itemized copy of the S.O. when you pick the bike up, which should include notes made by the technician regarding what the valve clearances were measured at, and if adjusted, what they were adjusted to. The tech should be documenting everything he does to your motorcycle.

A GENERAL NOTE ON SERVICE RECORDS:
I've seen too many Service Departments being lazy when it comes to documenting the work performed on Service Orders. As a paying customer, you should expect to receive a copy of the S.O. which has been properly filled out by the technician. You're paying for it, make them do it.

Last edited by MotoMike; 11-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Chinmay (11-15-2012), jsonder (11-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement