Had a minor heart attack - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Default Had a minor heart attack

Om my way home this afternoon, I almost had a non r heart attack and a seizure at the same time.

I felt like riding and took the loooong way home. I am pretty comfortable with the road and I know all the corners like the back of my hand. So... I just starting to slow down to take this one corner (almost a hairpin bend) and went in a bit hot. As I am leaned over, I start to realise I am starting to go into the opposite lane. There wasn't any cars coming, but being a hairpin, you can't really see if there's one approaching. I gave it everything I had left and leaned like I have never leaned before (I have about 3mm left on my tires, so it can still lean a bit), then something completely unexpected happened...
I SCRAPED MY PEG!!!!! I know that this is something that some of you do on a regular basis, but this was my first time and it was unexpected.

Now let me tell you something: it was f**king terrifying. My first though was "o my god, i'm going down" then that screech and vibrations through the pegs almost made me jump off the bike. I managed to keep my cool (I have no idea how... Mind = blown) and I pulled over on the straight after the corner to calm my nerves.

If you haven't leaned that far yet, be prepared. It will be the most terrifying and exhilarating thing you have ever done!!!

Sent from my Xperia S using Motorcycle.com Free Approach
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gungnir For This Useful Post:
Jme250RA (11-13-2012), lewiCBR250R (11-14-2012), NightHawk (11-15-2012), northernlights (11-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #2

betcha are ready for more now, its addicting. starts off with flat out speed, then you slow up and start cornering, next thing you know your blasting through corners flat out its a rush i never get tired of it, only way to add more excitment is to ride two up while riding twisties
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlee2989 For This Useful Post:
FlipKickz (11-13-2012), Gungnir (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Eat a healthy diet.

Get a rear set.
The Following User Says Thank You to molgam For This Useful Post:
Gungnir (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

I know how you feel man. My first time scared me sh**less but then after I took a moment, I wanted more. It is terrifying but the rush that comes with it is indescribable.

My only advice is take it to the track or a large empty parking with proper safety gear if you ever plan on pushing it to the limit again.
The Following User Says Thank You to KRA5H185 For This Useful Post:
Gungnir (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #5

I am ready for more. Going for an advanced riding course on Sunday. It's going to be awesome.

But i'm definitely doing this again tomorrow!!!

Sent from my Xperia S using Motorcycle.com Free App
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gungnir For This Useful Post:
FlipKickz (11-13-2012), Jme250RA (11-13-2012), lewiCBR250R (11-14-2012), pooder7 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #6

Garage

Yep done the same thing my first time, but now it's like a drug can't get enough of it. But you do have to know your limits. I've had several bikes over the years & with each of them you find out very quickly what you can & can not do. Only broken 1 bone in my 30+ years of riding & that was my big toe & I probably wouldn't have broken that if I had just put on my riding boots that day. Oh I've had some good crashes a little road rash & some $$$ out to fix whats was damaged. But the rush of hitting that corner & feeling your adrenaline pump you up is some thing that most people just don't get. Yea & when you hit a corner there is the feeling in the back of your mind hay dumb a$$ what the hell are you doing. But like Freddy Kruger said aah what a rush. Remember tho ride to live live to ride & RIDE TO CRASH!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to PIGTRAIL RIDER 23 For This Useful Post:
Gungnir (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #7

Garage

I have not leaned mine over far enough to scrape the pegs, although I feel like I have and friends riding behind me say that I just barely make some corners without the pegs hitting, and have often thought that it would scare the crap out of me too. Im glad you made it without freaking out and giving up. The first time I laid my bike down I went into a corner too fast and didn't feel comfortable really leaning the bike hard so I drove through the corner into a field, I was new to riding and it was a really heavy bike. Now, that I have been riding for a couple of years and have a much more manageable bike I know that if that happens again I have to trust that I can lean my bike even more than I am and I can make the corner. I have recently found counter steering to be very important in this kind of situation. Im not sure how I was steering before, but now in a sharp corner, say to the right, If I push slightly (Like turning left) on the right handle bar and lean right it feels a lot more stable and I feel I can push it harder than without counter steering.

Last edited by ecustu7; 11-13-2012 at 02:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecustu7 For This Useful Post:
Gungnir (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I am ready for more. Going for an advanced riding course on Sunday. It's going to be awesome.

But i'm definitely doing this again tomorrow!!!

Sent from my Xperia S using Motorcycle.com Free App
Be careful not to push your luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecustu7 For This Useful Post:
Gungnir (11-13-2012), Top (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
If you haven't leaned that far yet, be prepared. It will be the most terrifying and exhilarating thing you have ever done!!!
I REMEMBER doing that! It was a long time ago, and I was riding a BMW K75 . . . I took the corner a little hot but I remembered to press harder on the inside handgrip. It was not so terrifying for me; it was more like a "Now I'm a MOTORCYCLIST" moment. But I had been riding for a few years at the time, so I had been close to being that far over several times before.

My next Exciting Motorcycling Moment was a few years later during a take-off on my Ducati 900SS when I realized my front wheel was lofted about six inches off the pavement: "WHAT DO I DO NOW??" my brain screamed. I did nothing; just rode it out, and it was OK.

I asked my daughter, who had been aboard at the time, if she had noticed . . . she hadn't . . . . <WHEW>
The Following User Says Thank You to pooder7 For This Useful Post:
Gungnir (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Super Moderator

It just goes to show you how capable these bikes are and how much training we need, to be able to trust ourselves and really ride these bikes properly. I'm glad to see you rode it out without letting your 'logical' mind crash the bike for you!

Last edited by Jme250RA; 11-13-2012 at 03:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jme250RA For This Useful Post:
Gungnir (11-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement