Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

First track day ... any advice?

4K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  CBRook 
#1 ·
I got lucky and scored a place from a cancellation at a track day / track riding training day to be run by Bernie Hatton at a private circuit in the Hunter Valley on Wednesday. The Farm Motorcycle Training on Track CoursesTop Rider Q-Ride training Centre, Queensland Australia

I went to buy a pair of leather track pants today (the decision was easy: Berik because they'll zip to my jacket ... I'd love a full suit but boy are they expensive).

I am nervous already (what if I'm crap? what if I'm not brave enough? what if they big boys on their big bike leave me in the dust? what if I lay her down (and not in the good way)????) ...

...but SOOOOOOO excited!!!!

Anyone got any advice for a newbie to the track?

My number one goal is to drag my knee. (Those knee sliders on the Berik pants look so virginal it's embarrassing.) Is that overly ambitious for a first timer? Should I set my sights lower?

#3 ·
Like you, I will also go on my first track/training day. Mine is being held on sunday at Killarney race course in Cape Town.

I know how you feel, my stomach has been turning for about a day already. I'm so nervous for the same reasons as you are! :D:D

Hopefully some of the more experienced riders will give us some input on what to expect and how to overcome the fear of "laying her down".

#6 ·
I am nervous already (what if I'm crap? what if I'm not brave enough?
The nerves you have now are normal, it gets worse once you are on track with a dry mouth, so drink lots of water.
Its your first Track day, you WILL be crap, but the knowlege you walk away with is priceless.
bravado will will put you in a world of hurt.

what if they big boys on their big bike leave me in the dust?
There will be other riders on all sorts of machinery and skill levels
Just worry about what you are doing.
Its not a p1ssing contest, and its not racing.

what if I lay her down (and not in the good way)????) ...
If you listen to the instructors this will not happen.
If you or someone in the group does bin their sh1t, the session will be red flagged and spoilt for everyone.. so try not to be 'that guy'
Medics and Ambo on site.. you will be in good hands with good drugs.

...but SOOOOOOO excited!!!!
This is why we do it.. and keep coming back for more,
its the best fun you can have with your clothes on. :)

Anyone got any advice for a newbie to the track?
Be an attentive listener,
talk to the instructors,
ask for help or advice,
take on board their comments, they do what they do because they are the best in their game.
Pay particular attention to the body position exercises, then practice practice practice that for the rest of your life.
Utilise the no gears/no brakes sessions to full advantage and everything will become a billion times easier, and alot faster alot sooner.

My number one goal is to drag my knee.
Just NO!
dragging a knee is a byproduct not a goal,
some of the best riders can do a whole race season on one set of kneesliders.
'trying' to get your knee down will end in tears.
learn to corner the way they and it will probably happen (happens too much on the cbr250 with its low pegs) but for a lot of people, getting their knee down is actually an indication of a bad, forced riding position, not skill or speed.

Your goal should be to-
'Kiss the mirror'
'Bite the handgrip'
'Lead with your eyeballs'
'Point your toes in the direction of travel'

^Those and many more keywords Bernie Hatton will teach you.

Enjoy... be prepared to never want to ride on the road again.:D

#12 ·
The nerves you have now are normal, it gets worse once you are on track with a dry mouth, so drink lots of water.
Its your first Track day, you WILL be crap, but the knowlege you walk away with is priceless.
bravado will will put you in a world of hurt.

There will be other riders on all sorts of machinery and skill levels
Just worry about what you are doing.
Its not a p1ssing contest, and its not racing.

If you listen to the instructors this will not happen.
If you or someone in the group does bin their sh1t, the session will be red flagged and spoilt for everyone.. so try not to be 'that guy'
Medics and Ambo on site.. you will be in good hands with good drugs.

This is why we do it.. and keep coming back for more,
its the best fun you can have with your clothes on. :)

Be an attentive listener,
talk to the instructors,
ask for help or advice,
take on board their comments, they do what they do because they are the best in their game.
Pay particular attention to the body position exercises, then practice practice practice that for the rest of your life.
Utilise the no gears/no brakes sessions to full advantage and everything will become a billion times easier, and alot faster alot sooner.

Just NO!
dragging a knee is a byproduct not a goal,
some of the best riders can do a whole race season on one set of kneesliders.
'trying' to get your knee down will end in tears.
learn to corner the way they and it will probably happen (happens too much on the cbr250 with its low pegs) but for a lot of people, getting their knee down is actually an indication of a bad, forced riding position, not skill or speed.

Your goal should be to-
'Kiss the mirror'
'Bite the handgrip'
'Lead with your eyeballs'
'Point your toes in the direction of travel'

^Those and many more keywords Bernie Hatton will teach you.

Enjoy... be prepared to never want to ride on the road again.:D
Thank you for your useful posts and great contributions

#7 ·
Drink lots of fluids.Eat bananas/fruit. Get plenty of sleep the night before.
Stay loose on the bike. Make a mental note to shake you're elbows in the straights. This will remind you to not have a death-grip on the bars/clip-ons. Stay smooth.
Don't look behind you. It's the passing riders responsibility to make a safe pass.
Be predictable. Don't weave. Hold your lines.
Visit with fellow riders in the pit. Get pointers/tips/ideas.

Enjoy! It's fun. Don't forget to have some. :)

#10 · (Edited)
WARM UP YOUR TIRES !!!!!!!
Do at least two laps around to warm them up.
8 people binned their bikes at my last track day because they jumped the gun and rode aggressive on cold rubber.
It was a pretty brisk day in November in SoCal (8 degrees celsius - 47 degrees fahrenheit). But still a critical lesson even for warmer days.

#20 ·
Ozbenno, I am not trying to hijack your thread. I didn't want to start a similar thread with the same discussion.

You are going on Wednesday?

Be prepared for the most fun you ever haf!!!:D
No worries mate! Great to see you had a terrific time! I'm getting more nervous-excited by the hour :). Will make a post after - hope it goes half as well as yours!

#15 ·
...I am nervous already (what if I'm crap? what if I'm not brave enough? what if they big boys on their big bike leave me in the dust? what if I lay her down (and not in the good way)????) ...

If it were me, my fear would be more like... what if I crap myself?

Good luck! Please describe the experience at length when you return. (you too Gungnir).

#17 · (Edited)
I do wish i had leaned further, but our photographer chose the only banked corner on the entire track. The banking is quite steep, so you don't need to lean as much to go around.

LangoPTC, i'll write a track report as soon as I get some time!

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/showthread.php?p=108630#post108630
^ THE REPORT

#21 ·
I was at one track last saturday 10th,
and another in a couple days this friday the 23rd.
Then a big break till December 30th,
its been a big year with 14 track days since December 2011.

The cbr has performed faultlessly and have recieved lots of compliments (and amazement) the pace ive got out of it, it took 5 or 6 track days before it 'clicked'.
I believe its all in the mind.

#23 ·
I put new tires on before my track day and they were good. But I just melted them from side to side, the whole surface was just slagged. They're good tires, but after it started to rain, then I realized they were a lot harder than they should have been, which I attribute to their prior heat treatment. It took a thousand more mile after that to get the good grip back.

I guess my advise is to just use your old tires. Because if your melting them to the pavement, just about any tire will be good enough for the first time at least. If your old tires are already pretty trashed, perfect.

The track is a pretty nasty, exhaust environment. By the days end, it will have permeated you through and through. Get lots of good food and rest before and after.

#25 · (Edited)
Great post guys and thanks for sharing your experiences! I've got my CSS Level 1 course this friday and starting to get nervous.

Its great reading this stuff on the cbr250 forum. My main concern is the stock Road Winner tyres the bike comes with... How much lean can the bike actually take comfortably? Not pushing it to the limits with average skill.

I've heard that it's pretty easy to get the pegs to scrape.. but is that the absolute limit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.