1st-N-2nd - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation 1st-N-2nd

hey peeps, i guess many of u kno much more abt cbr than i do & hope sum1 cud help me out wit an issues i hav

recently, i hav noticed in my cbr, when im shifting betwn 1st-N-2nd, many times it doesnt shift properly. I mean if i shift it to 1st and take off, at times the gear itself falls back to neutral without me doing anything. and same with from 2nd to neutral

It only happens between those two and 3,4,5,6th gears are all fine.
initially, i thot it might b me not shifting properly, but at times when in traffic and specially at turns, when i am a little bit in lean expecting that the engine force will balance me out, the bike drops to neutral and i tend to loose my balance on low side, luckily i managed to get it controlled witout any big trouble, but i am kinda getting worried as this thing is happening quite often.

Also, when i park it in neutral, its in 1st or 2nd gear when i come back...sometimes, its in neutral itself, but the gear indicator green light isnt on....so i have to shift it to either 1st or 2nd and then bring back to neutral

my bike is due for its 12000 km servicing and i am going next week, is there any heads up any1 could give me please... as i am purely mechanically illiterate and i dont want those mechanic to take any advantage and fool me regarding the same...

thanks in advance..!!! :-)

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul..!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 AM

Have you tried holding the shifter with your foot until you have started to engage the clutch? If you just click it up really fast it might not go into the gear you want. My old 125 had a very sloppy shift linkage so this was something I had to get used to very quickly.

ďThe test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you." - Robert M. Pirsig
The Following User Says Thank You to Minifur For This Useful Post:
Brooks (11-27-2012)
post #3 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,598 Times in 1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
... my bike is due for its 12000 km servicing and i am going next week, is there any heads up any1 could give me please... as i am purely mechanically illiterate and i dont want those mechanic to take any advantage and fool me regarding the same...

thanks in advance..!!! :-)
Have the mechanic clean & re-grease the shift lever pivot. Takes less than 5 minutes, and will correct your shifting problem.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 01:05 PM

what kind of oil are you using?
post #5 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 01:38 PM

After mine is warmed up and running for a while I encounter the same issue sometimes getting back down to first. It sometimes requires a little double-clutching while downshifting while still rolling (if that makes sense). If you are already stopped and are unsure if it's first or second, you can either rock back and forth while downshifting (and it will usually go into first) or use a lot of clutch assuming that you are starting off in second.

I have a few weeks until my first service. From what I'm reading on this forum what you describe is common.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Thanked 1,537 Times in 790 Posts
Perfectly normal. Just give it a "manly" push from first to second. If you rode a BMW Boxer for a week or two, you'd understand what I mean. Also, I never go to neutral from second, I always change down to 1st first.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne G Oldman View Post
Perfectly normal. Just give it a "manly" push from first to second. If you rode a BMW Boxer for a week or two, you'd understand what I mean. Also, I never go to neutral from second, I always change down to 1st first.
I agree with u Mr Oldman, I thought the exact same thing at first...i started shifting 'manly'....but it gets engaged into the gear goes forward for a while but then falls back to neutral.
And I always shift neutral to 1st to 2nd and so on...
And its a new bike and 3rd to 6th gears shifts with a flick...so I guess I put same pressure on 1st n 2nd...

Sent from my HTC One X using Motorcycle.com Free App

post #8 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRA5H185 View Post
what kind of oil are you using?
No idea mate....whatever the mechanic guy put in during previous servicing
As I said, I'm mechanically illeterate.:banghead:

post #9 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
I agree with u Mr Oldman, I thought the exact same thing at first...i started shifting 'manly'....but it gets engaged into the gear goes forward for a while but then falls back to neutral.
And I always shift neutral to 1st to 2nd and so on...
And its a new bike and 3rd to 6th gears shifts with a flick...so I guess I put same pressure on 1st n 2nd...

You don't ride around with your foot on top of the gear shifter do you? If so, then that's your answer right there: a slight pressure and it will pop down into N from 2nd. It is less likely to pop down from 3/4/5/6 to 2/3/4/5 as there is actually a gear there.

Had that happen a few times early on...until I stopped riding aong with duck feet ;-)

Dave

Eleven hours in a tin can?
God, there's got to be another way!
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR_Dave For This Useful Post:
lewiCBR250R (11-23-2012)
post #10 of 14 Old 11-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

yeah, toes on pegs when you're not shifting and when you're in second kick it as hard as you can to 1st and the same in going up and it can smoothen out sometimes

mine got a bit stuck and annoying but i abused the shifter and it seems to be alright now

2012 CBR250R ABS Red/Silver

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page