Cross Country on CBR250? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Default Cross Country on CBR250?

I was immediately drawn to the CBR250 as a beginner due to the price, engine size, and mpg. I am in SE Michigan and wondering where to get the best price on a new or used bike. Honda East Toledo has the best prices near me from what I've seen. A new 2013 bike is just over 4k out the door. Most used bikes I have seen on craigslist are not much less than this.

I know that this bike would be fun for cruising around town, but my real concern is the power and comfort of this bike on a long distance trip. I would probably want to take state highways rather than the interstate highways, but if I need to cruise on the highway is it comfortable cruising at 70 mph or is it really humming?

Any advice on touring with a CBR250 or suggestions for a different bike is welcome.

This blog on touring on a CBR250 inspired me
http://cbr250rtouringadventures.blogspot.com/

Last edited by krause734; 11-25-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #2

I live in Jackson Michigan and I bought the 2012 Tri-color from Honda East Toledo. You will not find a better deal, and they where great at helping me get approved for mine.

At Highway, I find that I always ride the bike in 6th gear, Even if I want to pass a car I don't down shift. It is well out of it's power range at that speed, but don't let that discourage you. It pass 70mph cars surprisingly easy. I like to ride mine at about 85. It tops out at 93 but I usually don't even care to go that fast.

I have been to other states and have seen plenty of people tour with a 250 with 2up. If it could not do that, then I would not have even considered it. My girlfriend and I ride together with bags of stuff all the time. It take more throttle to get the bike moving from a stop but that's about it. The CBR250R has plenty of torque for its size.

It's not the fastest bike, but its not slow ether. I have owned a larger and faster bike and I honestly don't miss all the speed. The CBR250R has so much to offer in other places. It is a Motorcycle and can do what other motorcycles can do.

At highway, the engine sounds like its really working hard. I feel it needs a seventh gear just for highways, The cool thing is, Honda designed the engine to be redlined and held at the redline all day. I don't feel much buzz anywhere and the wind is not bad with the small wind screen. It feels stable and I never feel like I have to keep up with traffic. The rear suspension is stiff and my girlfriend complains about bumps. If I had a shock wrench I would soften the rear shock for her. Otherwise she likes sitting back there and loves how the bike handles. She says it's really comfortable. I can sit straight up on the bike. The only comfort problem with he bike is the seat. Its too hard. A stiff seat is good, but this is too hard. I want to get a Corbin. It's $300 but I imagine it's money well spent.

I hope this helps you out.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krause734 View Post
is it comfortable cruising at 70 mph
The CBR250R has been ridden by one rider from Florida to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back. And Another rider went from Philadelphia to California and back riding consecutive 1,000km days. Two up! Another guy rode from Key West to the Arctic ocean and back on a pre gen CBR125R. It all depends on what you put onto it and what you expect to get out of it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
Bullseye (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #4

Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krause734 View Post

.... but if I need to cruise on the highway is it comfortable cruising at 70 mph or is it really humming?

Any advice on touring with a CBR250 or suggestions for a different bike is welcome.

This blog on touring on a CBR250 inspired me
CBR250R Touring Adventures
At 70mph its only loping along at about 7000rpm due to its high std high gearing
Its a very slow revving engine with only a 10,500 redline. (and it wont do that in 6th without a downhill)
It pulls best from 7500-9500.

Last edited by Aufitt; 11-25-2012 at 09:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
Nicholas (11-26-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

Not that i can compare myself to others but I have travelled all over Alberta and some of B.C. (more of it in 2013 ) only 7200 kms this year !! ......and I love my CBR250r for traveling !!! Like some of said .....a better seat is in order !! I also have a "Ventrua" luggage system for my bike and it makes travelling so much nicer !!
I too plan to travel quite abit in 2013....thru mountain passes, by rushing streams, look at majestic trees, dipping my feet in an ocean, thru LOTS of twisty roads, etc, etc. After all....... a trip is about the ride and experences !!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #6

It'll do just fine. I find that 75 is a nice WOT cruise speed. 77 sometimes, 81 on the downhills. Now it's not all broke in - just 1800 miles - and I'm a wide-load-lard-ass on that bike at over 200# fully geared with touring luggage. But the wife and I ran a nice 500 mile weekend last fall and I plan to stick a Rick Mayer saddle, Laminar Lip screen and see about some IBA class power-touring next year. (minimum 1,000 miles in a day). Used to do that crazy crap on the ST1100 or the VFR. Curious how it'll be on the bitty bike.

Manage your expectations - stay the hell off the interstate in Texas - enjoy the ride. On secondary roads it'll go just as fast as you need to legally and make good milage and time too. 300 mile days are not a problem even in fully stock trim.

Will
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #7

The CBR is the jack of all trades and master of touring.
Check this out:
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #8

I just did the 1000 Iron Butt and even though the bike performed extremely well on the interstate, long distance, I did find that the seat was horrendous after about 10-12 hours or so...even with the sheepskin and many layers b/w my ass and the seat.

I'm looking for a new bike to upgrade to simply because I want to take my gf on longer trips and going together on the 250 has been fun, but not super comfortable for the both of us. She starts feeling pain after 2hrs or so, and for me it gets cramped with her behind me after a couple of hours as well. I love the bike and would love to keep it AND get a bigger tourer, but $ and space prevent me from doing so
Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
I live in Jackson Michigan and I bought the 2012 Tri-color from Honda East Toledo. You will not find a better deal, and they where great at helping me get approved for mine.
Holy crap, we're from the same town and have the same bike. And I thought I was the only CBR 250 around.

As far as the OP is concerned you can tour just fine on the CBR. I've ridden down to Tennessee and back (1500 miles round trip) and the bike performed great. On back roads the bike is a little more relaxed but it's also fine on the interstate, you can go 75-80 mph with no issues.

Last edited by Asako; 11-26-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #10

No Way! I have been reading your threads for a while, Asako. When the weather gets better, you, Krause and I should meet up for some rides.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas For This Useful Post:
Asako (11-26-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement