Motorcycle vs deer today - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #11

I am more worried about deer than any driver on the road. Just hit one a month ago in the Outlander that did 6 grand worth of damage. I'm not too afraid of the deer that stand in the road or at the side because I can see them, it's the ones that are startled and sprint across the road from the trees that worry me. That's what happened to the outlander. I ride 14 miles to/from work everyday through one of the only rural parts of Northern Virginia outside DC. Lots of deer. I see a new carcass just about every morning...

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/matao87/cbr250r
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #12

Find another slow vehicle to run blocker for you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Find another slow vehicle to run blocker for you.
That's usually what I do if I can, though getting off work at 11pm makes it difficult at times. I have the same "blocker" concept as you, as well as looking at where their headlights shine since they are typically much brighter and broader than on a bike. So far in 3 months of making the new commute I have swerved to avoid a deer standing on the white line (right side of the road) once and slowed to a near stop once when one was on the shoulder looking like it was going to cross.
Hate those little F*ers.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #14

Mediflight? ********************, I hope he has medical insurance. Glad the guy's alive; deer are flippin' scary out there.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matao87 View Post
Hate those little F*ers.
I don't hunt myself but encourage it whenever the topic comes up. There are certain areas near highways that would benefit from allowing expert bow hunters to have special permits to thin the heard. And the hunters would be very happy to take these dangerous deer herds out from along the roads in areas that could never be hunted with guns.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #16

Quote:
That's usually what I do if I can, though getting off work at 11pm makes it difficult at times. I have the same "blocker" concept as you, as well as looking at where their headlights shine since they are typically much brighter and broader than on a bike.
Late at night it is harder to find help. Using the blocker vehicle's lights is another good reason for making a habit out of following. Most motorcycle training harps on staying 12 seconds away from any other vehicle but I totally disagree. It is much safer to follow than to lead out alone.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #17

I also agree that following at a 2 second distance is safer. I've considered the deer whistles you can buy just about anywhere, but I'm pretty much 100% certain they are worthless. A quick search online didn't find any conclusive evidence either way other than opinions. I may get them anyway since it's only like five bucks...

Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #18

Garage
Default AUX Lites

Here are some pics of aux lites that I added to the bike. Works great for the Deer on the side of the road. Able to see the LiL bugers better now. Hooking them up only took about 2hrs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cbr 001.jpg (160.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg cbr 002.jpg (157.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg cbr 003.jpg (154.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg cbr 004.jpg (153.2 KB, 10 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to PIGTRAIL RIDER 23 For This Useful Post:
katedwolf (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGTRAIL RIDER 23 View Post
Here are some pics of aux lites that I added to the bike. Works great for the Deer on the side of the road. Able to see the LiL bugers better now. Hooking them up only took about 2hrs
Nice installation!

What kinda lights?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #20

Quote:
I also agree that following at a 2 second distance is safer. I've considered the deer whistles you can buy just about anywhere, but I'm pretty much 100% certain they are worthless. A quick search online didn't find any conclusive evidence either way other than opinions. I may get them anyway since it's only like five bucks...
Deer whistles are TOTALLY good at what they were designed for -- which is to get people to pay several dollars for a few cents worth of plastic . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement