Motorcycle vs deer today - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #21

Garage

Got them @ Wal- Mart 18.00$ thru the box away so I don't remember the name. Something Blazer driving lites? Small round chrome one's mounted to the forks where the reflectors go.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #22

Garage

P.S. make sure you put some silicone on where the wires go in the back of lites. Washed the bike the other day & they where full of water. Had to take them apart to get the water out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #23

Garage

Not trying the say anything, but think about from the deers perspective. Most of the time they are killed, while we may be hurt we usually walk away. And in all cases its our fault. We built a highway through their land so that we could travel at 55-75mph, while they are forced to cross the roads for what ever reason. So yes it cost us money, but it costs them their lives.

Thats why more land bridges or tunnels and slower speed limits are needed.

I also agree with following a car at night to use as a shield and to help light the way. Not to mention wearing full gear.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecustu7 View Post
Thats why more land bridges or tunnels and slower speed limits are needed.
Speed doesn't enter into the equation as far as deer are concerned. The last deer I hit I saw from half a mile away. I dropped from 120 kph down to 65 kph, all the while watching what this deer was doing. At the last second it did a 180 and ran out in front of me. The basic deer response is to run in an unpredictable way so as to throw off predators. This works when something is chasing it but not when someone is driving in a straight line.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #25

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jme250RA View Post
Speed doesn't enter into the equation as far as deer are concerned. The last deer I hit I saw from half a mile away. I dropped from 120 kph down to 65 kph, all the while watching what this deer was doing. At the last second it did a 180 and ran out in front of me. The basic deer response is to run in an unpredictable way so as to throw off predators. This works when something is chasing it but not when someone is driving in a straight line.
I disagree. The slower you are the faster you can stop, the more you can maneuver and the less force you produce when hitting something. Of course being slower doesn't necessarily mean you'll miss them, but you do have a better chance. Hell for the simple fact like you said, the slower you go the better chance you have of seeing them. You can only avoid them if you can see them.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #26

Garage

Im just trying to remind people that when they say deer are dangerous......to keep it in perspective.

We are far more dangerous to them than they are to us.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #27

Garage

Seems the deer are winning...

Courtesy Washington Post

Deer overpopulation is a growing problem. This is a discussion of the serious effects of deer overpopulation. Deer populations are no longer held in check by their natural predators, and humans are creating perfect deer habitat in yards, parks, and golf courses and along highways. And we are feeding them well with a huge variety of domestic and agricultural plants.
Deer Overpopulation Facts

Today there are more than 20 million deer in the U.S. The damage is becoming so severe that it cannot be ignored any longer.
Economic Toll of Deer Overpopulation

Cost of deer collisions

Estimated costs and number of annual accidents, by state

The Following User Says Thank You to katedwolf For This Useful Post:
Empty Sea (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecustu7 View Post
Most of the time they are killed, while we may be hurt we usually walk away.
Deer are food. We need more bow hunters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
Empty Sea (12-04-2012), Matao87 (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #29

Garage

Which goes back to my initial point....its our fault. We took away their land and killed their natural predators.

Money and a life should not be held to the same level. Yes I am concerned about hitting a deer, and I will do everything I can to be safe like not riding on the highway at night. But to throw out a chart showing the amount of money that the accidents with deer cost and say that the deer are winning is ridicules.

It is human arrogance to worry about money when animals are dying. I would be glad if I hit a deer and all I had to do was fix my bike. Its a lot better than dying.

Lets focus on what we can do about, hunting is you way, but it's not the silver bullet!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #30

Garage

More liberal bag limits and more landowner permits for females can reduce the population; at least it worked in Montana. My boys grew up eating elk, deer, and a little antelope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement