Motorcycle vs deer today - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #1

Garage
Default Motorcycle vs deer today

This was part of traffic report this morning. Deer are a definite hazard. be safe!

3onyourside ‏@3onyourside Traffic Alert Update: Hernando, MS: Motorcycle vs Deer.

Hospital wing on its way. Avoid area! #WREG #MEMtraffic

6:59 AM - 29 Nov 12

A 25 year-old DeSoto County man on a motorcycle was injured early Thursday following a collision with a deer in the vicinity of Getwell and Byhalia roads.

DeSoto County Sheriff's Department spokesman Dick Hackett said Matthew Mathis, 25, is listed in non-critical condition at Methodist University Hospital in Memphis following the accident, which occurred between 6 a.m. and 6:15 a.m. Thursday morning.

Hackett said that Mathis struck the deer broadside. The motorcycle flipped and tumbled several yards.

As Mathis lay injured, a passerby stopped and rendered aid until paramedics could arrive.

An emergency helicopter transported Mathis to Methodist University Hospital after being diverted mid-flight en route to the Regional Medical Center at Memphis.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

Garage

Yes I've had my share of run ins with the things. Hit one about 25 years ago when I lived on Holiday Island, AR on my 3 wheeler road rash from hell & about 600$$ to fix the bent axle, handle bars, head lite ETC. That's what I get for a quick joy ride. Living here in the Ozarks they are every where. Just added extra driving lites to the bike yesterday & gave them a test run last nite man what a difference. Lot wider view going down the road mounted them on the forks where the side reflectors where.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #3

I try to always put another vehicle in front of me to act as a blocker. It is easier to come by a companion on the highway than on back country roads where traffic is light and the cars that are there are going uncomfortable fast to follow in those conditions. That was the night I hit the dog. A deer would have been much worse.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #4

We have more of a kangaroo problem here, scary to think hitting one at 100km plus whilse travelling
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #5

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGTRAIL RIDER 23 View Post
Just added extra driving lites to the bike yesterday & gave them a test run last nite man what a difference. Lot wider view going down the road mounted them on the forks where the side reflectors where.
Would like some more details on the lights and how you installed them. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Super Moderator

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

That's exactly what happened to me but I was only going 50 mph and the dog was a bit shorter and 100 pounds. Blasted right through it. I had to actually think to stop and go back. I believe you might actually be worse off to try to lean the bike in an unsuccessful evasive maneuver.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

I would think velocity and mass will win every time....He's
a lucky guy.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #9

A guy I know from Flagstaff told me his best friend died this year after hitting an elk on his motorcycle.

Is it worse to be killed by a prey animal or a predator?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #10

I have a friend who hit a moose. It came out in front of him and stopped in the middle of the road, leaving him no time to stop; he braked hard and ducked low and the windscreen on his Harley eviscerated the moose. He slid a short distance on the pavement with the bike, but both were OK; in fact the bike was still ridable. The moose was a total loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement