Odd mod question - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #1

Default Odd mod question

Hey folks
I'm seriously considering buying a CB250R as my 1st proper motorcycle, mostly for my 40km each way commute to work in southern Thailand, which I'm currently doing on a 100cc Honda Wave scooter.

So, yesterday, I attempted to go for a test-drive on a second hand one that's being offered, near my school. The problem is that I just could not it into 2nd gear! Size 12's wearing proper shoes, I couldn't get it to change up. If it's my problem, it's one that I'm going to have on any proper motorcycle. So I'm looking for a quick fix.

My Wave has a two-way gear changer, down at the front to go up and down at the back to go down. Do you think that I would be able to get this kind of gear change pedal in place of the standard on a CBR? The main reason that I think that this would be helpful, is that, I wear flip-flops (thongs) all the time I'm not in work clothes, and worry if that would be problemmatical, especially considering, my left big toe has previously been broken and isn't strongest. Obviously, I realise that I would still need to go 1 down, 5 up at the front, but think that would make it all much easier.

Thanks for your thoughts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #2

u'll ruin the look of the bike!
Tell us more about your weight, height? 'cause Yamaha may have better things to suit you.
p/s: apologies to all members, but in the South East Asia, the street is not a heaven for our CBR (way too crowed, bad road conditions...)
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #3

I'm not that fussed about the look. Who'll notice the gear change lever on such a good-looking bike? I'll keep the old one, for when I sell it.
Believe it or not, I'm 1.95 (6'6") and the scales tip me at around 60kg (133 pounds 9 1/2 stone) Yes. all those measurements are correct; I just am an extremely odd shape. I doubt if anybody makes a bike to fit me. I certainly don't think anyone makes a small engined, easy to ride for a learner (or so I read), bike that's more practical than sporty. With ABS as well? Very attractive to an inexperienced rider, who's already had a fairly serious motorcycle accident this year. It being made in this country is also a big plus, should make parts easily available.

Looks aside, do you think it's possible?

I actually see very little traffic, I live just outside a city and bypass it on my way to school.

Where in LOS are you?

Last edited by South Thai Midget; 11-30-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Additional info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,364 Posts

The shift lever height can be adjusted to suit you... if the shift lever was set too high on the bike you test rode, that would explain why you had problems shifting.

As for your choice of footwear for motorcycling... the only thing more inappropriate than flip flops would be riding barefoot. Sturdy boots that cover your ankle are the way to go.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

What's happening when you try to shift into 2nd gear?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #6

WEAR BOOTS NOT FLIP FLOPS.

at the bare minimum atleast wear some shoes. something that will actually cover your feet and will provide a little defense.

Flip Flops r for Squids.
The Following User Says Thank You to wake and bake For This Useful Post:
Boomer1911A1 (12-01-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #7

The reason that I wear flip-flops, all of the time that I'm not dressed for work, is, here in Thailand, it is, for most of the year, too hot to wear jeans, so I wear shorts, all of the time, so; flip-flops.

What do other riders in Thailand (and the tropics in general) wear on their feet for riding?
Probably a question, all by itself.

Is the 2-way changer, that bad an idea, that nobody wants even to discuss it?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Thai Midget View Post
... Is the 2-way changer, that bad an idea, that nobody wants even to discuss it?
I wouldn't waste time and money on trying to adapt something to a bike that wasn't designed for it. Like anything else, you will learn how to shift a motorcycle with a conventional shift lever, by simply doing it. As I stated in my previous post, adjusting the height of the shift lever will go a long way toward making it work for your specific ergonomics.

As far as footwear goes, many of us ride in hot summertime climates, but we would not even think about riding in anything less than proper riding gear... Better to sweat, than bleed
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #9

OK, so if I'm to ride a proper motorcycle, I have to wear appropriate clothes.

Attitude adjustment. OK. So I'll plan to wear jeans and trainers for all serious riding. I'm already considering keeping the Wave for the very short trips, of which, I make a lot, living 2km from the city. It's not worth very much anyway.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 AM   #10

~~
You're lucky these guys are nice. If you would've said you ride in flip-flops on some other motorcycles forums I've been to, you'd have been flamed into the ground.

At the very least find some thin canvas high-top shoes like old Converse All Stars.
~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement