Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Heads up on the spam - possible Malware

11K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  lewiCBR250R 
#1 ·
We've all seen the spam that gets loaded onto the site. It is removed as soon as we see it or someone reports it, but it's a problem for everyone.

Whatever you do, don't get curious and click on the links in these messages - doing so not only produces linkbacks to this site, but it exposes you to a virus or malware that will infect your machine, perhaps terminally.

People / companies do this for various reasons - to update their Google hit count, to play the odds that one out a thousand will click a link, or just plain malicious intent. They're willing to (or willing to pay someone to) work their way past the capchas, so there's little we can do except sweep the stalls as often as possible.

Good luck, and keep your AntiVirus / malware protection up to date!

Luke

#4 ·
We could do away with 99% of it by removing the ability to post links - but that would impact the people who come here for entertainment and information. I'll pass the question upstream, but I don't know of any way to keep these posteriors out. Keep reporting them, we'll keep banning them - The fast they get banned, the more likely they'll go bother someone else.

If anyone knows of tools that can keep people like this out without adversely impacting legitimate users, please PM me and I'll make sure the ADMIN folks know about the options.

Thanks,
Luke

#6 ·
I pm'd you about an option to take Luke. On the Chop Cult forum they dont have this problem because of an application process. A bit tedious for mods but turns away spammers.

#7 ·
Another suggestion.

Hmmm, maybe have a minimum number of replies made before a new poster can add a link. Nothing too severe... say between 1 and 5 only.

Hardly foolproof, but would deter 'drive by' spammers who would have to waste their time making posts before they could post a link. I think some would not bother because of this inconvenience.

#8 ·
yep a minimum number of posts such as 10 or 20 before links and pictures are allowed to be posted should be enforced, as well as when signing up you should have to answer a security question about motorcycles or the Honda cbr250r, i'm not sure if this is the case but it wasn't when i joined the forum. Maybe the question should change for each user so the spam can't learn what question is going to be asked.

i.e. What year was the cbr250r introduced?
The GSX-R600 is made by which manufactuer?
The 1199 Panigale has how many cc's?
The Yamaha R6 has how many cylinders?

you get the picture :cool:

#9 ·
people are paid to post this spam..
not much, but for some its enough..
[one post per minute or so over an hour
at 10c per verified post gets about $5
which is something, for a ukranian
or pakistani etc spammer]

on my martial arts site if new members
get hits on StopForumSpam.com
with toxic or disposable addresses
i ban them on spec..

as luke mentioned [for this type of spam]
the only way is to clear it out asap..
if they cant verify the spam they dont
get paid.. but left up for hours,
its like feeding a stray cat..

#10 ·
RE: Forum Spam

I had a new member (less than a week) with 0 posts request my Paypal info. for a part I was selling. I sent him the info. before noticing he was a brand new member and now I'm a little nervous he was a potential hacker/spammer.

Payment was never made. The part was never shipped. All is well, as far as I can tell, on my end.

Should I be worried? If so, what should I do to protect myself?

#12 ·
I had a new member (less than a week) with 0 posts request my Paypal info. for a part I was selling. I sent him the info. before noticing he was a brand new member and now I'm a little nervous he was a potential hacker/spammer.

Payment was never made. The part was never shipped. All is well, as far as I can tell, on my end.

Should I be worried? If so, what should I do to protect myself?
you're pretty safe with PayPal, especially as a seller. If he pays you you're money is safe in your PayPal account and he can't touch it so you can ship your item off then. If he doesn't pay you, don't send the item off

As long as you didn't give him your password lol you're fine :)

Reactions: JHT
#14 ·
I think you need to enter a captcha to join the forums and also these posters we believe are actually humans and not a spam bot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.