Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Got a speeding tickt in the US (CA), have a few questions and comments

12K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  northernlights 
#1 · (Edited)
So I just found a nice way to finish this year: getting a speeding ticket. I got pulled over for going at 90 (mph) in a 65 zone. Conditions were very good, few cars, clear and dry weather. I admit though that my speed was a bit high and I was switching lanes often which I'm guessing caught the officer's attention. The officer's car didn't catch my attention because it was not the usual Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, it was it seems a Dodge Charger. I got the violation code 22349 meaning 1 to 15 miles over the speed limit. According to some website i'm reading that's a 214$ fine. I'll have the final surprise in the mail in 3 weeks he said.
EDIT: I mis-googled the code. He wrote me up for the 25 over.

Except that I also got a fine for not having license plates; he called the DMV who claimed they sent it, but I never received it. I've had my bike for 2 months so I didn't work on it yet. He explained that once I install the plates I can go to a highway patrol's office to sign that one off.

It's my first ticket in the US so I'm new to this. I read you can fight tickets. Do people really do that just for a speeding ticket? I find the fines pretty high but it sounds to me like the lawyer (and possibly the time you miss from work) are worth more than that.
EDIT: I'm fairly new the country; I didn't think fighting the ticket would mean dragging the cop to court. He did nothing wrong and clearly doesn't deserve that. I'm not doing that.

My second question is: how fast do *you* go on the freeway? The officer said "these people (he was talking about car drivers) don't see you, they can knock you off and go over you". We all know that's sadly true but here's the thing: it seems to me like that's when you're going the same speed as cars that they don't see you or forget about you. When I go faster than them I get to choose my position relative to them so I have an escape route and I don't stay next to a car or in a blind spot. When I go at the speed limit people change lane into me on average once every other day and ruin my positioning a few seconds after I get it done. After he arrested me [EDIT: not "arrested", sorry, wrong word. "Pulled over".] and I left the officer was behind me for a while so I tried going at the speed limit; cars were flying around me and I felt like a sitting duck.

A comment: I'm probably not wearing ear plugs again. I did not hear the sirens! [EDIT: It was pointed to me that a police car can have the lights on but not the sirens. That's most probably what happened.]When going fast I periodically check my mirrors, every 30 secs or so, and that's when I saw the police car, right behind me, sirens flashing. I was really worried I would get some pretty bad violation for that. I then had a hard time hearing what he was saying me in the speaker. After we both stopped, once I removed my helmet I ostensibly removed my earplugs so he could see it; he didn't mention it though, but I could imagine a less lenient officer acting differently.

Well now, let's go have fun with my best friends at the DMV who claim they sent me my plates.

See less See more
#3 ·
Just pay it & go on, it will cost you more to get a blood sucking lawyer than it would the ticket. From what you said the cop had you dead to rights and if you did want to press it the dash cam will confirm it. So buck up & give the under payed over ego Highway patrol some cash they need it. LOL :D BY the way you said you got arrested but you drove off with cop behind you ????

#4 ·
@PIGTRAIL_RIDER_23: yes, my thought really.

Edit: about your last question. I'm not sure I get it. Maybe "arrested" is not the right term, i'm not sure. I got stopped, issued a ticket, told to have safe holydays. Then I rode off the cop was behind me, but not like right behind me. We were travelling the same direction that is.

#13 ·
To be arrested, means you would have been taken to jail. You were issued what is commonly known as a traffic citation.

As a general guideline, Highway Patrol officers use 10 MPH, or more, over the posted speed limit as the starting point to write speeding citations. That's not to say that they won't pull you over for 8 or 9 MPH over the posted limit, but if they do, they will often just issue a written warning citation, which wouldn't require any payment of a fine. On freeways, traffic cops are typically looking for vehicles going 15 MPH, or more, over the posted limit. In a lot of places, going over 100 MPH in a posted 75 MPH zone will get you a trip to jail for reckless driving.

Sounds like the cop gave you a break by issuing the ticket for just 15 MPH over the posted limit.

And to think that some here on the forum think that the CBR250R is too slow... :rolleyes:

#5 ·
I would try for a driving school, especially if its your first time. Usually they will knock points and sometimes a bit of the fine off. I know alot of people that fight the tickets, sometimes they win, sometimes they do not. So thats completely up to you.

By the way, how do you have your bike for 2 months and not have a tag yet? Usually its gotta be done within 30 days (unless california has an awesome timeline) lol.

Usually going 25 over means a huge ticket, especially in florida and im sure california, so if he wrote you for only 1-15 miles over, i would be thanking him. Im not sure what you mean by a special gift being delivered in the mail. Does california not give you all the tickets at the beginning, unless its a court summons??????

#6 ·
By the way, how do you have your bike for 2 months and not have a tag yet? Usually its gotta be done within 30 days (unless california has an awesome timeline) lol.
I thought it's 90 days in California. I'm looking it up to confirm.

Usually going 25 over means a huge ticket, especially in florida and im sure california, so if he wrote you for only 1-15 miles over, i would be thanking him. Im not sure what you mean by a special gift being delivered in the mail. Does california not give you all the tickets at the beginning, unless its a court summons??????
Yes, the cop was courteous and professional. I have nothing bad to say about him. I did thank him in the end. I got the ticket but no fine amount is noted on it. He said I would receive an official mail with the amount specified.

#7 ·
So you just got a ticket then, because if you did get arrested then he would have cuffed you & stuffed you into the back of the patrol car & left your lil cbr sitting on the side of the road waiting for the big bad tow truck diver to violate your bike. Well glad you didn't get arrested. Bet you'll be looking @ Chargers a little harder now :)

#9 ·
Truthfully i would look out for Dodge Chargers more than Crown Vic's... They have been phasing out the Fords now for awhile.. I know around here, there are actually more Chargers than there are any others.

Ok, so California does that, where they dont tell you the amount until a later date. Georgia does that as well, but i know sometimes you can call or even drive up to the station and they can let you know what the price is. But before you do that, look up the driving classes..

Or better yet, i know on my first ticket, i called the district judge (which you would probably have to set up an appointment being in california) and plead your case that its your first. Usually they take it easy on you. I know when i did, it was for a 15+ speeding ticket at 18. He dropped it to 5 over with no points. The worst that will happen is they tell you no at that point. If they say no, then opt for driving class.

#10 ·
What are your choices here?

You can get a lawyer go to court.

You can pay the fine ( which these days amounts to the bail [which you are forfeiting], fine and all sorts of fees plus a point on your license).

You might be able to ask for traffic school (pay all bails, fines, and fees plus another fee to the traffic school to spend a day at home or on line watching traffic safety films to atone for your sins . . .but you won't lose a point on your license)

They count on you not fighting this but often if you do you can prevail. A young co-worker of mine took his "exhibition of speed" ticket from HBPD to court and prevailed. What did he do? I recall he lit up his tires and laid a scratch on the street. Yes he had to get a lawyer; he made a deal to work on the lawyers web site in exchange for services to pay the legal fees. I don't know what it ultimately amounted to but the deal was worth it to him.

I don't ride on the freeways personally but when I'm in a car I would rather see the motorcycle passing me or behind me at a good distance if they don't want to pass. When I know a lot of bikes are around I stay alert for them . . .but that's me. I've seen drivers with very jealous and irrational attitudes towards motorcyclist mostly because they are getting ahead of them in traffic. Lane splitting is the pet peeve of non-motorcyclists ( I suspect it is for two reasons: it raises their burden of being alert drivers and the motorcyclists are getting ahead of them in traffic).

I've also had cars and trucks go well above the speed limit just to pass me on the bike.(I know you can leave me in your dust, you're driving a F$%^ing BMW!). I will always let them pass.

Regarding your comment . . .I don't wear earplugs when I'm riding. My helmet does a good enough job at attenuating the levels and I can still hear my engine. I also don't have a modified exhaust. But, that's just me.

#14 ·
You're welcome. Unfortunately, traffic tickets are no longer just intended as minor infractions. It's big business for government. If you look at what the actually fine is, it's not that much . . until you start adding in the assessments that local and state governments have added in. Theoretically, the 'fine' stated on the ticket is the bail so you will show up for court. the actually fine is actually half of that. But we don't have enough courts to deal with all this misbehavior so they just want the money.

You want to be infuriated? Look up the laws regarding traffic camera tickets.

#15 ·
He wont have any bails to worry about because he wasn't arrested. So he basically is going to have the pay the fine and thats all. The best bets would be
1 - Judge/ District Attorney if you wanna take the time
2- traffic school - I know in florida its free 2 times every year i believe plus no fines
3- pay fine and get the point (basically take your licks)
4- fight (lawyers and such) which will cost more to you at this point

#19 ·
I think jibaless has the right idea about going to traffic school. In my state this would cost less than the ticket and you wouldn't get any points or a conviction on your driving record so your insurance wouldn't go up. You probably can only go to traffic school once every two years so you will need to be extra careful about speeding and/or watching for police.

At traffic school you might be able to get the professionals' reasoning on why it is safer to go with the flow of traffic rather than speeding. You still may not think it is safer in all/most situations, but more info is usually better.

It does sound like the officer gave you a ticket at the low end. In many states anything over 25 mph above the limit is reckless driving. That also is serious enough that you then can't go to traffic school instead of getting a conviction. Also this is a lot more points.

While it is possible to fight and win even if you are guilty, it is a lot harder.

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks all, I got just one judgmental post and the other posts were all informative. I'm looking up driving school. I would still be curious to know at what speeds you guys are going on the freeway. Or maybe the ones who go fast would rather not be tracked down by forum reading police officers :)

Edit: wtf, looks like it's just 23$? That's completely worth it VS losing a good driver's record to insurances.

#24 ·
Traffic lawyers are worth it IMO. They charge a standard fee here (~$300) and some even offer a refund if they aren't able to reduce your ticket to a non-moving violation, which doesn't go on your record. Everything went great last time I got a ticket on my bike.

When I was riding around in CA this summer, it was mostly around 80 mph and kept mainly to the HOV lane. Going 90 mph and switching lanes will only get attention to yourself and a ticket.

I would recommend you keep using your earplugs. You didn't hear the sirens because the sirens probably weren't on. Cops usually flash their lights first to pull someone over. They resort to sirens (the noise) when flashing lights don't seem to get your attention. Been pulled over enough to know. Traffic ticket isn't permanent. Loss of hearing is.

#25 ·
I would recommend you keep using your earplugs. You didn't hear the sirens because the sirens probably weren't on. Cops usually flash their lights first to pull someone over. They resort to sirens (the noise) when flashing lights don't seem to get your attention. Been pulled over enough to know. Traffic ticket isn't permanent. Loss of hearing is.
Oh. I didn't even think they could have the lights on and not the sirens. Noob...

#26 ·
Im sorry Rory, im not sure where you are, so im not going to throw out that you are completely wrong about having to pay more than what is stated, but im my cases, which i've had a few now, ive never paid more than what they asked. And Traffic school is never a through the roof amount, mine was free and like he said, its $23 there. My last ticket stated was like $189 (went to traffic school, again free) and paid $189.... And they dont want their money "RIGHT NOW".... They give you time to pay, like 30/60/90 days to pay, which gives you plenty of time to go to court/traffic school/ or pay..

Also, pay "RIGHT NOW" would be a bribe, in which case, he "would" be in jail :)

#29 ·
I'm an officer in MS and I can say that he seemed courteous about it all. Also it seems he is cutting u a break by only writing for 1-15 miles over unless the limit is 75 over there. Here it's 70 on the interstates. We have a law that allows you to get to a safer spot however it has to be in a reasonable time so that really shouldn't be an issue. In my opinion if you know ya did wrong pay it. Chances of fighting and winning are slim. However call the number on the citation and ask about a driving course. Here you still pay the fine but ya license doesn't get points taken. So seems he really is helpin ya out. Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#30 ·
I did not read all the posts, but your goal should be to keep this off your driving record, even if it costs you time and money. Tickets cost you on your insurance premium and eligibility.

I try to keep my motorcycle speed to no more than 10mph over the limit...less than that if I think there may be police and/or traffic issues.

#33 ·
I've used the ticket clinic lawyers twice before for speeding tickets. I had adjudication withheld on both which means I just have to pay the fine and court fees but no points or record. Its more money but worth it to me to save my time in traffic school or insurance going up in the future. You also don't have to go to court the lawyer goes for you.

#43 · (Edited)
I don't know, I've read through this thread and I don't see any "haters" posting here... seems like this thread largely contains thoughtful posts by members who are giving the OP some valuable, constructive insight based on their own experiences. :)

P.S. Except for the advise regarding perjuring yourself in court... that's a very bad idea. :eek:

#35 ·
If the CHP officer wrote you up for 90MPH in a 65MPH zone, that is a 25MPH over the limit charge.
1) You will not be eligible for traffic school dismissal of the points.
2) If convicted, you will have 2 points on your driving record.
3) 4 points in one year will get your license suspended (for both cars and motorcycles) and labeled a negligent operator in California (think convicted felon behind the wheel). Your life will suck if you attain that label.
4) Your insurance will skyrocket with a two point conviction on your record.

I would pay for legal counsel if I were in your shoes. You face a serious charge and will suffer many consequences if convicted. Sky high nose bleed insurance rates and the inability to ever get a commercial driving job (ie taxi driver, limo driver, truck driver, motorcycle courier) just to name two. Good luck and sign up for a track day (no cops, no cars, and you can let her rip without worrying about losing your license).

#37 ·
Im not so sure if its a charge like CBR250R said. I know in florida, 25 is also an actual charge... I would find out what your facing, then proceed from there...... Usually im a "man up and pay" guy, but that is only on minor infractions. And i probably right in saying california and florida suck when it comes to high end tickets lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.