Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Why do people sell so quick?

9K views 39 replies 32 participants last post by  Honda1911 
#1 ·
I've been looking around. I bought an '11 with 3,200 miles on it (relatively low). I am noticing that quite a few of these are on the market with 800-1,000 miles. Most of the ads mention "moving up to something bigger". I'm not trying to start a pointless thread but what makes people move up so quickly? I find it hard to believe you gain the experience necessary to pilot a 600 or 1000 supersport in 800-1,000 miles... It just seems as though these CBR's are re-entering the market awfully fast.

#4 ·
Hi Kyle M3, I'm not sure why other people keep their CBR for such a relatively short period -- for some it come be a case of 'buyers remorse' i.e turned out to be just the wrong bike (probably more common when buyers don't take a test ride).

In my case, I've done 5K km's since August and yes, I am planning to have a ride of both the 2013 Honda 500's and KTM Duke 390 in March just to experience what 40-50 HP feels like. If none of these bikes do it for me then all well and good but if they do, then for sentimental reasons I will keep the 250 for my eldest kid if / when he's ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
Years ago, I might have done the same thing if I rode motorcycles as a younger man. Trading motorcycles so quickly seems odd to me, too. But that's now in the context of having so many other personal and financial responsibilities that weren't issues in my twenties. It's hard for me to be too critical, though. I've been there, wanting the next cool thing fairly quickly, but that didn't include motorcycles at the time.

You're right to question whether riders, certainly new riders, have the experience after 800 to 1,000 miles to move on to super sports. That seems too soon to me. At any rate, congratulations on finding your lightly used 2011. Enjoy it and ride safely!

#7 ·
It's an excellent question. I know that when I was riding my first bike which was a 250cc, I got bored with it pretty quick and wanted something more substantial and a little more gusto so I could take my wife with me. However at the time, economics kept that from happening until I found a great deal on a 600cc Silverwing. Then I was pretty happy as I kept the 250 as work and errand transport. Now several years later, that's why I bought the CBR. It is a replacement for my first 250. The CBR would not be my choice as my only bike but it sure does fill a lot of needs for me in terms of a commuter, a fun day trip through the mountains, and maybe a short mountain camping man trip. It is a great bike for what it is but my guess is people are wanting something a little more powerful. I wouldn't take it as a personal knock on the bike. I can tell you that I did a lot of research on the CBR before I purchased it and there were too many positives on this bike to not make the purchase. Many positive reviews on this thing ranging from price, practicality, serviceability, and overall performance. The one thing I noted is that the resale value is pretty high at this point for these bikes and that it made more sense for me to buy it new from Honda with 0% financing than to buy a used one paying around 6-7 percent interest. With my trade in and cash down, there is not much left to payoff. It's a great deal for what you get. There are some cheaper 250's on the market... But I don't think any of them approach the quality of a Honda.

#8 ·
It's a simple matter that most CBR250R owners are newbies, and there's nothing wrong with that. Quite a sensible decision really, if you want a bigger bike in the future. For some of them, this is fine, from what I can see, motorcycles are mainly a weekend toy in the western world. For others, the ones who use a bike for everyday transport, they think that a bigger bike is going to be better for them, until they realise the running costs involved with larger motorcycles (which can be very considerably more), which is fine, if you don't mind the extra cost. It's all down to the individual, and their circumstances. I "downgraded" from an 1150 BMW, and this bike is far better for the way I use it than that. Whatever floats your boat. ;)

#9 ·
Most people trade up because they think they need a bike with more power. Super sports are awesome, don't get me wrong. Handling, power and sexy looks are why people love them. But most people don't even come close to using the bike to its full potential. Let alone have the skills to ride them. But that's what makes the world a great place. We're all different. Thank God.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
For some the bike's purpose was to learn the basics then switch to a bigger bike. For these people, the bike was destined to be sold quickly before it was even bought.

For some it was lack of research. The bike wasn't what they thought it would be and so they sell it and try their luck on a different bike. Rinse and repeat until they find the bike they like.

Luckily for me I am one of those who knew what he wanted and did his homework and found the 250 to be perfect for his current needs. I don't see mine being sold anytime soon, if ever :)

#12 ·
The quarter liter bike has the notoriety of being a transition bike. As you will learn from this forum, riders from different backgrounds find this bike interesting. Some purchase this bike as an entry level ride, learn and define their skills along with figuring out what kind of rider they are and move on. Some to the cruiser crowd, some to the dual sport/touring group and others to the SS dudes. It's all apart of the sport. As you will discover, many on this forum have meandered thru the various styles of bikes and have settled on the 250 as their final retirement bike. They've been there done that and the 250 is now their "forever bike". Others are using this fantastic bike as a transition to others. Nothing wrong with that as it is a part of the sport. It's not like buying a car that best services the owners needs. Motorcycles ownership falls into a different category thus it may take trading up and down to find that perfect bike.

#13 ·
When I got my 2012 CBR250R late last fall, it had been ridden 72 miles. I thought I remembered it as 720, and I was rather shocked at seeing it was 72.

The seller said he was getting rid of it because he had gotten a 150 scooter so he would fit in better with the crowd he rides with. <shrug>

As it is one of the most FUN motorcycles I've ever ridden, and it gets EXCELLENT fuel mileage, I'll probably keep it for as long as I need a commuter bike, and then after that 'cause . . . did I mention how much FUN I've had on this motorcycle?

#15 ·
I still have my big bike, I'd always wanted to own a sidecar rig, since it was the kind of bike I got my first motorcycle ride on. The sidecar has a definite uniqueness that can not be denied. No one can deny that. I'm going to be 65 in a few months, and some might say that my CBR is an attempt to recapture my youth, I don't think so. My sidecar rig is mostly used for Patriot Guard, and Christian ministry work. My wife also loves to ride, but she has MS, and now has Multiple Myeloma, a type of cancer, we had a Goldwing 1800 prior to getting the VTX rig. It got dropped twice with her on it, and I could not have her hitting the pavement any more. I've had Honda's, Harley's, Kawasaki's, through the years, all were exactly what I needed for the purpose they were purchased, the one that I had the biggest love/hate relationship with was the first "brand new" bike I'd ever owned, a KH400 Kawasaki, I paid $499 for that bike, we were living in Colorado at the time, I gave my wife her first, and last, motorcycle lesson on that bike. She remembered almost everything at the stop, the clutch, the shifter, the brake, and the foot brake, but forgot just one thing, she forgot to put her foot down, I was laughing so hard at her, I couldn't get to her in time to keep the bike from hitting the ground, and the tank got dented, the hate part was when winter came around, it was a kick-start and I had to, more than once, bust through a 4 foot drift, the easy part, or bust through 4-5 foot piles after the plows pushed all those 4 feet of snow over my driveway! I would never fail to start on the second kick in the summer, but come winter, then it was a WAY DIFFERENT STORY, 8-12 kicks were much more common, especially in those weeks where 0 was the high for the week, and I was working the night shift, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Every one of them were ridden til the tires wore off, and further. I bought the CBR after a little research and the inevitable test drive. The 60+ mpg was a big factor, and the fact that my knees would be beaten by the handlebars when I sat on the Rebel, but the biggest decision-maker was when the wife said, "get it, I think you look great on it." Now, I had never heard her say anything like that before.
Will I buy another bike, heck, I don't know, but I really like the handling, power, at least, one up, on the CBR, it responds right, right away. It doesn't have the, "I'm kicking my self in the butt, when I grab a gear, I know many of y'all like having your feet folded up close for grinding pegs off, my reaction time, and response time would not permit me to grind pegs off any more. This is my first "sport" bike, and I absolutely enjoy just bending the curves, rather than carving the road any more. All my bikes til now have been "cruiser" style bikes, and have only once intentionally put the bike over enough to hit a peg, and, believe it or not, that was on my GL1800 'Wing, and that was to prove to myself that the trailer I was pulling would not flip if I got too far over., I've got an older Kwik-Kamp popup camper I was pulling around the eastern part of the country.
There's maybe a time that I can't ride any more, but I'll have to be VERY debilitated before that happens. After I retired I was going back to Kansas after a family reunion up in Massachusetts, stopped in at a truckstop, a guy pulls in on a dresser Harley, takes his helmet, and I saw that he was OLD, I asked him about his travels and he told me he was traveling up to Maine from Los Angeles. I offered to by him a cup of coffee and he told me he was 95, no not on I95, he was 95 years old! He was riding completely across the country, and back, at 95 years old. I hope I still have it together enough to do a trip like that, at that age.
Changing bikes is part of the human experience on bikes, but make sure you've wrung everything you want to get out of it, 800 miles, or 1,000,000 miles like one guy had on his older Goldwing.

Doc

#16 ·
I've been riding and racing for a while now and whenever someone wants in on the fun they invariably tell me about some amazing 'bike of their dreams' that they plan to get. I always tell them "start with a 250 and ride it for at least a year. You won't be afraid to drop it when you are practicing in the mall parking lot and if you 'outgrow it' sooner than the 12 months, they re-sell like hotcakes". So it does my heart good to see so many people being reasonable and at least starting with the 250 before getting the bike they actually 'want'.

That said, i'm looking for a cbr250 to race here in SoCal. So if anyone has a line on one in ANY condition drop me a line.

#17 ·
... I find it hard to believe you gain the experience necessary to pilot a 600 or 1000 supersport in 800-1,000 miles... It just seems as though these CBR's are re-entering the market awfully fast.
Why do so many people think that the only upgrade path from the CBR250 is to a 600 or 1000 Supersport? Some people use the CBR250 as a starter bike with the full intention of moving up to a cruiser, tourer, sport tourer, or maybe even a maxi-scooter. There are far more upgrade choices than a SS.

And after 1,000 miles you just might be able to ride a supersport without killing yourself. Not that you will know everything there is to know about riding a sport bike. There is always room for improvement.

#18 ·
I got mine for the simple reason of the traffic where I live, and to make the 250 into a show bike. The traffic is terrible but the 250 splits traffic very well. Have taken it out on a few touring rides and thats where for ME it drops the ball, just not enough power for 2 up riding. Sure the bike will do it and still have power left over, but I WANT something with more power. The limitations on the expressway where I live is 400cc and above, have already been caught 2 times on it with my 250, lost my licenses on the 2nd time, paid a fine a retook the written test and got it back.

Sure I can go the long way to get from point A to point B however that means dealing with traffic, if you have never been to the Philippines you will never understand what I mean by traffic. L.A. has nothing on the Philippines. Most drivers here are out for themselves they pull up to stop sign, most dont stop, they turn right and never look to see if anybody is coming same goers for a left turn. So for me it is so much easier and safer to ride the expressway as its not used by a lot of drivers as you have to pay to use it.

I will be keeping my 250 as she is now a show bike, and that will be her main use, I will ride her from time to time, but in February I will be purchasing a Kawi Ninja 1000. Yes I know people and traffic will still be the same on either bike, however 98% of my riding is 2 up. The Ninja has a more 2 up friendly riding posture, is over the 400cc limitation for the expressway and is at the right price.

As for why other people sell their 250 I really couldnt tell you however most comments on here have very good and valid explanations. Its all about YOUR needs and wants in life.

Reactions: WOFnine
#20 · (Edited)
What gets me more than a low mileage bike is a bike that is a few years old with low mileage -- If money were no object, I'd definitely be on something bigger next season, but I don't understand how someone can have a 3-4 year old bike with 2,000-3,000km on it, as it would mean they only put 1,000km a year or less on it. I have 2 friends like this -- one bought a CBR250RA like I did and put just over 1,000km on it between April - November, and the other bought a Ninja 250R, and maybe put 500km on it in a year...

Granted I'll likely sell the CBR250RA in another year for a CBR600RRA once insurance drops and I have another season of riding under my belt...but I put 5,000km on the bike last year (only started riding it in May and put away for winter late November), and will likely put about 10,000km on it this year. I should also point out bikes are a 'weekend toy' for me, but with that said I'm out most weekends in the spring, summer, and fall (until the salters hit the road)

#28 ·

but I don't understand how someone can have a 3-4 year old bike with 2,000-3,000km on it, as it would mean they only put 1,000km a year or less on it. I have 2 friends like this -- one bought a CBR250RA like I did and put just over 1,000km on it between April - November, and the other bought a Ninja 250R, and maybe put 500km on it in a year...
You must be young. In time you will understand more. Life is about more than just riding motorcycles. Maybe some of us have other cars, multiple other cars, children, maybe even wives or girlfriends, soccer, baseball, football games, to distract us from riding the CBR250.

I am one of those people you can't understand... I've had the CBR250 6 months and still don't have enough miles for the 600 mile service, (I guess that's about 1,000km)

Motorcycling for many people is a weekend hobby like playing golf or tennis. It's fun when you do it, but you don't do it every day.

#21 ·
Simply because they have more money than brains, experince and skills

Anyone who thinks they've 'outgrown' (whatever that means?) better contact Repsol/HRC and grab Stacey's vacant MotoGP bike.

#22 ·
When are you getting your new bike, Aufitt ? LOL

In the US, motorcycles are mostly a recreational activity, so most of them are purchased with disposable income. While I question the premise of this thread (not sure that there's more turnover of this bike than of others), if it's valid, the reasons are probably a little bit of everything that has been mentioned. Mainly, I think, the bike is affordable and rideable and, therefore, accessible to people who are new to the sport. Some of them don't like the sport and sell and some may like the sport, but want to experience different rides. Not better. Just different. I suspect that many, if not most, of you self-righteous, "they have more dollars than sense" posters have owned or rode several different bikes before deciding on the CBR. Why would someone who started on the CBR be stupid for doing the same thing?

#24 ·
When are you getting your new bike, Aufitt ? LOL

In the US, motorcycles are mostly a recreational activity, so most of them are purchased with disposable income. While I question the premise of this thread (not sure that there's more turnover of this bike than of others), if it's valid, the reasons are probably a little bit of everything that has been mentioned. Mainly, I think, the bike is affordable and rideable and, therefore, accessible to people who are new to the sport. Some of them don't like the sport and sell and some may like the sport, but want to experience different rides. Not better. Just different. I suspect that many, if not most, of you self-righteous, "they have more dollars than sense" posters have owned or rode several different bikes before deciding on the CBR. Why would someone who started on the CBR be stupid for doing the same thing?
I added a secondhand unlicenced damaged stat write-off 250 to the stable yesterday.
Bought it for recreational use and paid cash for it.

We should do a poll on this forum and see how many ppl bought a brand new motorcycle and put it on finance for their first bike eh?

we've seen thousands of them come and go on here.
they used words like 'upgrade' 'moving up' and I want to understand what it means.

#23 ·
I look at it like this. I have had my 250 for 3 weeks and have 500 miles on it, I love the bike i have even got the bike up to 90 mph I don't plan to sell this bike but I plan to move up to a 600cc after 3 to 4 years of riding this one. The only reason I plan to upgrade is so I can ride my girl on the back and not feel like I'm bigger than the bike BC I can stand at the light and wiggle the bike between my legs like a mountain bike. But as far as speed I'm fine 90 mph was good!

#25 ·
^ I agree with the apparent misuse of "upgrade" or "moving up". As a new rider, I do have an interest in seeing how other bikes ride or if some other bike is better suited to my riding needs. I'm planning to take an 1100 mile trip this summer on my CBR and it should be a great way to see if I'm comfortable on the bike for extended trips, in changing (hopefully not too much) weather, and on a wide variety of roads. From what I read here, I will have no issues, but maybe my back will hurt or I'd prefer an easier way to carry luggage or maybe I'd like more wind protection. I don't know. I'll find out as I ride around Lake Michigan. The point is that, if I decided to move to another bike, it could be because I perceive the other bike will be better suited to my needs or that I just want to experience the ride characteristics of a different bike. It has nothing to do with "upgrading" really.

I disagree with the constant degradation of anyone who financed this bike. I have explained MANY times here that financing a purchase of a motorcycle is not automatically a bad thing. It used to be, but with 0.9% interest rates, it made sense to leave my money in my mutual funds earning closer to 10%.

Reactions: DamianW
#38 ·
I disagree with the constant degradation of anyone who financed this bike. I have explained MANY times here that financing a purchase of a motorcycle is not automatically a bad thing. It used to be, but with 0.9% interest rates, it made sense to leave my money in my mutual funds earning closer to 10%.
Those of us with good credit scores and who are fortunate enough to have our finances in order are not currently being rewarded with reasonable returns on low-risk investment options.

While it's nice to pay cash for big toys and it's not good to develop a lifelong debt habit, we are living in anomalous times and it's hard to feel guilty about an APR that costs me less every month than what I pay for coffee in a day.

#31 ·
bloke i rescued black beauty from with under, 600km up,
thought 'its not as much fun as i thought riding alone'..
therefore, using that reasoning, he sold the virtually new
bike together with good shark helmet, alpine stars jacket
and gloves [all matching black and silver],, for $1000
under brand new price...

so the bike was [also] a personal accessory..
that wasnt enough 'fun', so he got rid of it...

the other factor [aust] is learner liscense requirements,
resulting in new riders going thru the process on a 250
usually, then after the required time, selling it for
a bigger more powerful toy, i mean motorcycle...

if i had the storage and cash to spare id be buying up
these great bargain hondas and storing them for later..
[wish id kept my cb72, cb450, cb750sohc k2 & k6
which have turned out to be a great investment,
besides being great road motorcycles]

#33 ·
I wish that these low-mileage used bikes were showing up on Craigslist around here. The stealership claims to be selling them about as fast as they are delivered, but I haven't seen one show up on Craigslist for Tucson, nor have I seen a used one at that dealership.

I suspect that the buyers around here are not all young male newbie riders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.