Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Headphones fitting under helmet

10K views 48 replies 31 participants last post by  sendler 
#1 ·
I just got Shure SE215 earbud style headphones to wear under my helmet for noise protection and a little bit of music. However, I can't get my full face helmet to fit over them. I have read that this is a popular choice for motorcyclists. The chin of the helmet just won't go over my ears. These are the lowest profile headphones I could find. Any advice on what to do next?

#28 ·
I use Skull Candy as well. Sometimes it feels like they're going to rip my ears off when I remove my helmet, but I just pull apart the helmet straps a bit harder to create a little more room.
The Skullcandy earbuds are great because they seal into the ear and really create good bass response which helps to block out road noise and your own exhaust. I've had ones that don't create a good seal and it's really frustrating because you're straining to hear the music even when it's a really loud volume.

#17 ·
I think the guy was asking for advise on which headphones to use, NOT opinions on whether you feel it's safe or not. If he wants to listen to music, that's his prerogative.

Try the Sena Bluetooth headset. Bit pricy but works great. Also, if I remember correctly I thought aerostich sold something that installs in helmets. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
Any of you know of any studies that prove that listening to music while riding leads to more crashes, especially when compared to riding with earplugs? I can't seem to find anything on the web about it, just opinions. Seems to me that some people may be more distracted when wearing earplugs than when listening to music and some my be more distracted without anything in their ears. In the absence of some sort of intelligent study on the topic, I think that people who feel they are distracted by music should refrain from listening to it. They should also refrain from assuming that their inability to focus is a universal condition.

Incidentally, the OP asked for advice on what earbuds are best, not whether he should use them.

#27 ·
Of course someone would come out and defend their "right" to listen to music while riding. There are plenty of studies on climate change yet there are still deniers. There are tons of studies on ABS being more safe yet there are people who claim their skills are better. Doesn't seem like opinions would change even if their were "intelligent" studies available.

In California and Maryland, it's illegal to wear earphones while operating a vehicle. You can call them and ask why but I think I already know. Injury-avoiding earplugs? Legal.

Those who have superior focusing abilities should also refrain from assuming that it's a universal condition. Common sense saves lives; it's just too bad there are no studies on that.

Incidentally, the OP asked for advice on what earbuds are best, not whether he should use them.
Third post of thread:
Is it really dangerous to wear headphones while riding? I ask because I love music and would love to rock out while riding, but I don't want to do something totally dangerous...

#13 ·
Good points MTC. I listen to music most times I ride via Bluetooth. I don t crank the music too high, thereby I can still hear traffic and my bike. Over the years of me rockin the tunes while riding I have not become distracted nor have I had any crashes or near misses. When in thick traffic my tunes are off. On highways, I rock it out. In "some" ways I don't see the difference between 2/wheels or 4/wheels distractions. I acknowledge riding a MC leaves no room for riding error. Wonder how many on this forum who crashed/ wrecked/fender bendered their bike because they were distracted by music? Just a thought?!

#14 ·
I've got a set of in ear headphones that have the over the ear retainer on them but find them a little bit of a pain in the ass when it come to taking off my helmet. I have a set of custom molded ear plugs that work extremely well and stay in without any problems but still allow me to hear my surroundings. I am looking into a set of custom fitted earphones with a mike from www.hearsmartsolutions.com. they are a little pricey but I think they will be perfect.

In regards to safety, I think anything that is loud enough to drown out your sense of hearing could put you in a dangerous situation but I still think that if you have your music low enough so as to allow you to still hear your surroundings, it should be no more dangerous as singing or talking to yourself.

Reactions: live_to_ride
#15 ·
I tried several headphones that just didn't stay in when I put my helmet on. I finally bought the KOKKIA H10 helmet earphones. The reviews are right -- they are cheaply made and not very loud. However, they have worked for me for about three months. FYI, I only use them to hear my GPS turn by turn directions.

#16 ·
I have old style ear buds that hang around my ears and dont go inside. They dont distort ambient noise at all which is exactly what I was looking for. They just add some music just as car stereos do. I am confident that there is zero extra danger involved with them. It takes no attention away from the road.

#18 ·
I like to wear headphones on long rides. I use it more fore wind protection but I like listening to something at the same time

I had the same problem initially and what helps get them in is wrapping the cord over the ear and essentially putting them in upside-down. It worked for me and i can get my helmet on with them in my ear in 1-3 tries

#35 ·
Its almost impossible to insert the newer style SE215 "upside down". Even the older style they are designed to go in with the cord being wrapped behind the ear. Ive seen plenty of people bitching about the quality of the SE215 not being good, and then come to find out they are wearing them like a regular earbud instead of the way they were designed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

#21 · (Edited)
Goldwings come with audio systems. Mine had a CD changer in addition to AM/FM radio. AND a CB.

WHAT??

I removed the CD changer and the CB to make more luggage space (both units were in the trunk). I'd remove the radio too, but there's not much to be gained by that . . . unless I could find some kind of covered bin that would fit in the ugly hole that radio removal would leave . . . .

The only thing I listen to when riding is the music of the road . . . and occasional comments from my wife when we're riding two-up on the 'Wing. She will mention beautiful scenery . . . and once in a while say things like, "Do you think you really want to go this way? Our turn was supposed to be five miles ago." (The communicators we use are bluetooth systems made by Cardo that fit inside our helmets. Very unobtrusive.)

#22 ·
^ a few months ago, my wife and I were at a bike night with our CBRs. As we were gearing up to leave, someone said "Now, all you two need is a pair of bluetooth headsets", to which I replied "If we wanted to talk to each other when we ride, we'd take a (expletive deleted) car". lol.

#30 ·
My wife and have ridden with and without communicators; on two bikes, and more recently two-up on our 'Wing, and it's worked out best for us to have them.

Most of the time we're silent, expect to occasionally comment on scenery . . . unless there's a question about the route. Then it's really nice having her behind me with her attention on the GPS so she can figure out where to go and then give me specific directions on how to best make that happen. (She calls it "nagivating" and it's saved us from wrong turns many times.)

#24 ·
Maybe my helmet is really tight, but I can't imagine fitting anything that's not completely foam. The SE215 lies flatter than any other earbud I've seen, and it's excruciatingly painful to even attempt to get the helmet over them. If there is a way to get them in my ears AFTER the helmet, then they might work.

The really crappy part is that I got these from Guitar Center which doesn't allow any returns on in-ear stuff.

#25 ·
When I wear ear buds I always put them in after the helmets on and I usually wear only one so I can hear peripheral noise. The earbuds I use are from my iPhone where as other ear buds set ups have a solid peice that can either worn over the head or back of neck. These can be worn upside down....I've done this too before I purchase my Senna Bluetooth few years back.

#29 · (Edited)
I've recently purchased a twin set of Motorader bluetooth speaker/microphone systems, don't recall the model number but they radio to each other up to about 500 metres and can connect via bluetooth to your phone and answer calls and play music. To be perfectly honest the bluetooth part works pretty well without a hitch but connecting to the other unit takes a minute or so, can be hit and miss. My mate still needs to give me half the money for his unit lol, and we've only used it for a ride together once, although it was pretty epic fun just chatting and stuff.

For the stats-hungry, I've dropped my bike four times before I got it. Dropped it zero times since I got it. Deduction would have it that buying the Motorader system has improved my ability to stay focused and keep the bike rubber side down. hehe

I've also started "dancing" on the ride home, at 1-2am. I probably look like a ---- when I do it :p

In regards to fitting, I did try to stick the speakers in and use the helmet as per normal but I ended up cutting my ears on the plastic bits where the straps come through the foam and lining. I ended up taking a drill to the helmet the next day, drilled some of the foam so the speakers sit in nice little "craters" under the lining. You may ask, won't that affect the integrity of the helmet? Sure it probably does, but in the event I land on the side of my head, I'd rather have a drilled out thinner section of foam protecting the side of my head than a sharp bit of plastic pressed fairly hard up against my ears.

#34 ·
I have the SE215 newer flat style as well as the older bud style, i know exactly where you are coming from. I use a head sock to fix that issue, plus it keeps my helmet clean(er). If you have the bud style instead of the flat style then the easiest thing to do is pull the straps outward as you slide the helmet on. If you have the flat ones, pretty much the same spreading of straps just not as drastic.

Personally those are the best headphones for the money. The best noise cancellation due to being an earplug as well as the best range of sound. No other headphone comes close.

Just find the correct volume while riding to where you can hear the music as well as everything around you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

#36 ·
Wear earplugs about half the time. I stay at 45-50 mph on the streets here, so I don't feel like I need ear protection for my short rides. Though, I do enjoy like how ear plugs provide some more peace which is why I want to try some music.

I must have the new, flat SE215 because I only bought it 2 weeks ago. I do pull the straps out to give me as much room as possible, but it's still not enough. I have extra thick cheek pads on mine.

I guess my headphones might work with a headsock, but I would hate to add one more piece of gear. It looks like there is a cutout where the ear goes in the helmet, but I just can't get my head over the chin.

A pair of speakers would work, but there is no noise protection with that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.