Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Headphones fitting under helmet

10K views 48 replies 31 participants last post by  sendler 
#1 ·
I just got Shure SE215 earbud style headphones to wear under my helmet for noise protection and a little bit of music. However, I can't get my full face helmet to fit over them. I have read that this is a popular choice for motorcyclists. The chin of the helmet just won't go over my ears. These are the lowest profile headphones I could find. Any advice on what to do next?

#44 ·
I used earbuds once to listen to music while riding. I had not problem getting my full face helmet on with the earbuds staying in my ears, but taking the helmet off also ripped the earbuds out of my ears and it hurt like hell. Never again. It was nice to have the music, but i really couldn't hear what was going on around me.

#46 ·
Im my experience, riding with decent ear plugs in is no different to having a few tunes at a low volume. Initially I thought "thats nuts, you wont hear a thing!" then I tried it. Plugs cut out the wind and a lot of other high pitched noises. The CBR actually sounds grunty LOL, and I ride it 1500 rpm higher hehe. With music on as well, its the same: reduced high pitch, but still hear the deeper sounds which matter. I only do it occasionally though.

When riding in a group having the bluetooth communication is great. I actually count it as a safety feature. Several times now one of us in front has said "That corner tightens up guys!" or "there is a knob up ahead!". It also avoids those silly having to race ahead in front or signal like a (dangerous) monkey for the others pull over...

Dave

#48 · (Edited)
I, too, was afraid of the distraction of music... Then I tried it. It's fine. It's not like you're taking a phone call.
My next fear was hearing loss. I've been wearing foam plugs for years, but ear buds - even those rubber diaphram-type or the Skull Candy style allowed so much background (wind) noise through that I had to turn up the volume to the point it caused me concern. I was tempted by those really high-end jobs that cost $150, but being a cheap b@st@rd, I went a different way and made my own.
I hollowed out a set of regular Howard Leight orange foam plugs with a heated coat hanger wire, inserted a nipped-off thread protector, then inserted the naked nipple of a set of Skull Candy buds and voila! Music at a reasonable volume with about as much ambient noise reduction as you could possibly expect, all at a cost of about $1.50 in materials and fifteen minutes of squinty work.

Last set I made, I took pictures in case anybody on this thread wanted to try it. PM me and I'll send you a tutorial.

#49 ·
The Sure in ear canal phones are the narrowest fitting headphones made. Are they pushed in all the way so they seal? They should fit entirely inside your outer ear. There is nothing smaller. Yank on your helmet more. These are a good deal in headphones but must be used with an EQ in your phone such as PowerAmp because they have no highs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.