Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

CBR 250 feasible first bike?

13K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  JurisRider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi my name is Adam. I'm 22 6'2 and 200lbs. I've taken the MSF course and have gotten my license and am now looking for a cheap safe reliable starter bike. Fuel injection and ABS are two features I would really like. I know that a lot of people say "you don't need abs you need to learn how to ride your bike". That being said I live in Dallas and would be commuting and most Dallas drivers (aka cagers) are too into their phones to be paying attention to me on a bike and if abs can save me in an emergency braking situation then I don't see why not? But I will be practicing and fully geared. I often cruise at 70-75 on my way to work and am a little concerned that the 250 will have an issue with that and me felling safe. I passed the MSF course with flying colors and have been practicing my defensive driving in my car and have never had an accident or many close calls I'm not a speed demon or tailgater but I do like to have fun. So is a CBR 250 feasible for highway commuting at my size and possible short trips (1.5-3hrs)? Or should I maybe look at a cheaper Ninja 500 or GS500 which run about $2,000 with more power and no abs? I was also considering a Suzuki SV650 ABS that I can pick up for around $4,000 and wouldn't have to worry about outgrowing but is it too much bike? I'm also open to other suggestions. Thanks and sorry for the monologue.

#2 ·
If you have the dough and really want EFI and ABS, then the CBR will work fine. I have had no problem cruising along at 75mph, but I did purchase a Puig windscreen to make that a little more comfortable. I have no opinion on the other bikes in your list because I have never rode them.

You can learn proper braking techniques and form good riding habits with or without ABS on your bike, so I would opt for the better braking system if you can afford it. Having ABS does NOT prevent you from being a good rider and anyone who indicates otherwise is full of crap.

#5 ·
If I had it to do over again I'd probably go for the ABS. An aftermarket windscreen as mentioned by MTC would probably make 3 hour trips more enjoyable. I don't find the wind protection to be that great with the stock set up, and it can get tiring, especially at 70 - 75 mph, which the bike will cruise at fairly easily (I weigh 215 lbs). That being said, there is not a lot of reserve power at that speed. Mine tops out around 84 mph. All in all though, I don't think I could have found a better starter/learning bike for me, as it is very forgiving, handles great, weighs little, fully capable of interstate travel, and is fun to boot.

#6 ·
I'm 6'4" and 195 lbs and I've been VERY happy with my CBR250R! It makes a really good commuter (mpg) and it's a BLAST out on the backroads (mph) and is SO easy to handle everywhere. I wish I'd have gotten away from the "bigger is better" mindset years ago . . . .

#7 ·
After ten months and 12,000 miles I enjoy how cheap the bike is but that's about it. I commute 50 miles a day and am passed by others going 80 plus. Sure I can go 85 but in an emergency I can't go from my cruising speed at 75 to 80+ in a safe amount of time. My fiancé has a Kawasaki ER-6F. Its basically a 650 sport, not super sport and I think that's fun and reasonable. If I could I would have bought a used bike with a little more engine power. I wouldn't have known it because this is my first bike but I would have purchased differently in hind sight. If you want something that will keep you excited I'd look elsewhere, I ride mine to its performance limits every day and its no longer exhilarating. It will do the job, just not as fun as other bikes, in my opinion.

#8 ·
6ft 200lbs here. drive my 250r almost daily till i had to put her up for winter. 8,500 miles on 6 months or so. keeps up with traffic well(75mph interstates) and i avg around 60-70mpg but i ride hard. this was my first bike and im glad i made the choice. i opted for the non-abs version, no real reason as to why i guess. ive take 3 hour trips on mine, just stop every 45 minutes to an hour or so or you will have to have someone help you off the bike when you get to your destination(learned the hard way lol)

#10 ·
6'1" 205 here and I love it. Rode in San Antonio for most of last year. ABS gives a new rider peace of mind and helps in panic situations. I got ABS and wouldn't have it any other way. Fun, economical.

#13 · (Edited)
Looking through your post and offering my opinion on what you ask for:

cheap, safe, reliable starter bike with Fuel injection and ABS. The CBR will tick all those boxes

70-75 is perfect for the bike and is the ideal cruising speed for the CBR.
pulling 8k - 8.5k revs or 7k - 7.5k revs depending on 4th or 5th gear. it redlines at 10.5k revs.

the cbr is the most fun bike i've owned due to it's very light weight and agility on corners. this makes up for lack of power to some degree.

The CBR is feasible for highway commuting and possible short trips 1.5-3 hours. But it does depend on distances you are traveling and how frequently you travel them.
For some reason i find the CBR more psychologically exhausting that other bikes i've owned. For example when i did a 400 mile round trip journey in a day. i was utterly shattered for 2 days but i was rock climbing in between trips which might have something to do with it (and i was riding flat out full throttle, full tuck for the entire distance) for me bigger capacity bikes are less draining to ride long distances. Also my cbr returns 100 miles tank range on motorway (150 in town). lager bikes often have bigger tank range

if i was doing regular 2 hour plus one way journeys i would probably get a bigger bike or just add in extra stops for fuel to rest from driving the machine at its limits.

i dont know about the Suzuki bikes you mentioned, but the 650 ninja Is a bike that just never excited me. i have test ridden it a few times and i have to say its so easy to ride but i was never excited by it. It has a fairly sensible amount of power as larger capacity sports bikes go and the fuel usage isnt too bad from speaking to friends with them (about 20% less than the CBR but over double the power output). it is also cheap to insure for a larger bike.

so to me the only downside is that for motorway use over 150 mile trips (excessive speeding) i get tired on the CBR. if i relaxed and stuck to the speed limit this probably wouldn't be a problem! and the tank range would mean filling up every few days. otherwise the CBR is a fantastic bike which is cheap, reliable and so so fun.

The CBR 250 is a great bike let alone first bike and i'm planning on keeping mine for a long time to come.

#14 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Making me feel alot better about the 250. I've found some in my area. There's a 2011 black with abs for $3,000 on craigslist never been laid down, clean title, etc. Is that a good deal? I've noticed that an older ninja 250 like an 08 goes for the same price and those are carb and no abs? Is the resale value not looking that great on the cbr? I would be surprised since it's a Honda and seems fairly popular.

#15 ·
Resale value- They're going to be lots of these popping up for sale as it's common for beginners to buy and move up from. If you buy a low mileage used version, you're prob ok and won't lose much if any should you upgrade later.

Longevity of owning a 250- If you're thinking of it for strictly transpo, you'll be fine with it. If you care what other people think and you want an addictive rush from your motorcycling experience, you'll want a bigger bike.

Economy- Fuel econ is 2nd to none as far as freeway legal transpo goes. Also, replacement parts for the CBR are pretty cheap new compared to other bikes. Also, tire sizes are cheaper than the larger bikes and last a fair amount longer.

Insurance slightly less, but marginal, maintenance a bit less due to single vs 2 or 4 cylinders.

Bottom line, if you're wanting the most economical and stylish freeway legal transpo, get the CBR250. If you need speed thrills, get something bigger...SV's are great for cheap thrills.

#16 ·
I ride my CBR250 45 miles a day, every day. The entire ride is on the freeway (California) at around 80 mph, and I have zero problems (I've had mine up to 90). Before I got my bike, I was worried by comments from people that made it sound like riding a 250 on a freeway is a stretch. Don't listen; that is the biggest myth out there about 250s.

I've taken many all day trips, also not a problem.

Motorcycle safety is largely about being a defensive driver. If you are the sort of person who never seems to have all those close calls people are constantly whining about, you are unlikely to have a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.