Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Post Accident Report

5K views 21 replies 22 participants last post by  LangoPTC 
#1 ·
As some of you remember I was in an accident that occurred on Nov. 1st, 2012. It is now January 14th, 2013 and I thought you guys deserved an update seeing how many of you said get well soon etc.

From the accident I've had the following procedures done:
-Too many Xrays to count.
-Crutches for 1 month
-Fracture boot for 2 months
-Hinge brace on the knee, indefinite
-Ankle brace, N/A (physical therapy determines when I can remove it)
-CAT Scan (Concussion)
-Nerve testing in my knee (Nerve damage to severe and are not-repairable)

I have to use a cane to get around (I'm 20 years old), but it honestly beats being dead. Bluejay hit an embankment and went airborne crushing my helmet, if I weren't wearing it I would have been dead.

Due to the severity of the leg damage, I have been given a 10% chance of being able to walk freely (without the use of assistance such as a cane, walker, etc.)

I do physical therapy 4 times a week for 45 minute sessions, pool, weights, resistance, etc. as much pain as my body can handle. I am determined to beat the odds the doctors gave me.

I miss bluejay, I really do. I want to get back on, but that will be a slow and steady baby crawl. If i do manage to get back on a bike, you all will be the first to hear about it! Thanks again for all the well-wishes I received, they honestly lifted my spirits. Learn from my mistake, blind corners are a bitch. And remember always always always wear your protective gear.

See less See more
#4 ·
It's great you have a positive attitude and are doing what it takes to get better. I'm sorry to hear about your accidents and the effects of it but i hope everything works out and you can beat the odds of your doctors like you said :)

Reactions: chrinupp
#11 · (Edited)
Hey chinnrup! First, kudos for your tenacity. Second, I hope in time you will hop on a bike and ride. About 15 yrs ago I wrecked my back at work. After months of physio and excruciating pain I required surgery to repair the damage. I was told by the professionals the likelihood of my returning to my career was negligible. I suffered nerve damage to my right leg and limped for over a year. To this day my leg is 85%. Losing my career was not an option so I started my recovery with walking, slowly transitioning to weights, then running. To the surprise of the neurologist I returned to work. Moral of the story is.....don't count yourself out. Nerves take a long time to heal, but you are young with a healthy attitude. Cheers bro!

BTW...took me a year+ to recover. It was several years after that I took up riding motorcycles. Now I am a junkie lol. Also, several years ago I fracture my tib/fib. It was a spiral fracture that shattered. Had surgery with a plate, 2 pins, 8 screws and was told I wld be out of the game for 3 months. 6 weeks later I had the cast removed, fully anticipating another cast. Shock....I was told I healed well and did not require it. Two weeks later I was on my Harley riding. Not reccomended but.....I was riding. Wahoo. Never underestimate the human spirit and tenacity.

#15 ·
My sympathies. ...You'll be ok - like someone said, just keep up the physio. At least you heal quickly, being 20. Believe me...and it's something that worries me now - i'm 53, and 2 years ago i found out that when they say it takes longer to heal when you're older, it doesn't mean twice as long, it's more like 5x or 10x longer.
Anyway, just keep it up. Totally about positive attitude. What else ya gonna do? Just take it as it comes, adapt to it.
Eat well, better nutrition, would help too, more than we generally think. It's all at the cell level, basically. Nerve damage, i know, can't do anything about it but adapt.

#16 ·
Due to several different situations, I've broken my knees 5 times left one, 4 times the right one.

Get on a bicycle! After each time I got back on my 10 speed, did 7 miles (start out 1 mile first day working up over a week) every other day until I got to about 100 miles...new knees! I live in a huge subdivision so I figured out a roound-the-block circuit that was exactly one mile as I passed my house again.

What happens is that your muscles are built back up over abut 3 weeks and because they are bigger and stronger, they take the slack out of their ligament and tendon connections and everything works again. Until you get muscle mass you lost sitting around, your knees will not feel 'healed'.

Granted, not like new, but amazingly better than no exercise which is what I didn't do the first time I broke them.

#21 · (Edited)
Chrinupp, I thought that I had replied, but it looks like it didn't take.

So, just my wishes for your continuous improvement as you progress through the physical therapy. I've had a frozen shoulder, possibly the result of a highside accident on my wife's 350 back in the early 1970s, that took a lot of patience to work through and get full movement back again. It isn't fun or easy, but, it's the only way to get most of your life back. I've fractured both fibula, a scapula, several ribs and last year broke a clavicle (collarbone) dirt bike riding. (stupid, I was showing off how slow I could go in deep sand and I just tipped over, landed squarely on shoulder and then the MX helmet impacted the collarbone)

Because I was in my 70's the doc didn't want to put me in surgery to install hardware to hold the realigned clavicle break. So, I've got a lump and a shorter collarbone, letting it heal "naturally". However, I'm nearly back to where I was before the accident in just under 11 months, so I'm happy and back riding trails again.

I hope that your recovery is as complete as all of mine have been. Persistence is the key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.