Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Being "bullied" onto a bigger bike

21K views 96 replies 68 participants last post by  shisoshin 
#1 ·
I seem to be catching a lot of flack from people recently for owning a 250. I have a few friends that are interested in motorcycles and sometimes ride. I am forced to listen to comments like the following: "You need to get a big boy bike" "I would never get a 250, i'd need to go straight to a 600" "You're just not going to be able to keep up, when I get my bike." I even had a girl that doesn't ride say that I ride a "girls bike", because she rides on the back of her boyfriends 600 sometimes. The worst comments seem to come from people who don't even ride on a regular basis. Which is very annoying. I'm starting to almost believe that I should move up! Is there anyway to shut these people up without sounding like a complete jerk? Also I'd love to here if anyone else has experienced this, what they heard, and how they handled it.

#57 ·
I'm a female and get the same comments from both males and females (bikers and non bikers). I just tell them to go and buy me a bigger bike if they feel I need to upgrade. I live in town and don't ever have to get on the highway. Max speed limit is 45 mph so why the heck do I need a bike that goes 120. Its funny that other people have a problem with my small "toy" bike as I'm just fine with my lil ole 250. I could go on and on why my 250cc is just right for me but I'm sure its been covered by everyone else already.

#61 ·
How I Handle the Situation.

I seem to be catching a lot of flack from people recently for owning a 250. I have a few friends that are interested in motorcycles and sometimes ride. I am forced to listen to comments like the following: "You need to get a big boy bike" "I would never get a 250, i'd need to go straight to a 600" "You're just not going to be able to keep up, when I get my bike." I even had a girl that doesn't ride say that I ride a "girls bike", because she rides on the back of her boyfriends 600 sometimes. The worst comments seem to come from people who don't even ride on a regular basis. Which is very annoying. I'm starting to almost believe that I should move up! Is there anyway to shut these people up without sounding like a complete jerk? Also I'd love to here if anyone else has experienced this, what they heard, and how they handled it.
I think that I've heard all of the different comments, about owning a Motorcycle with only an engine displacement rating of 250 cc.

To appreciate this reply, put yourself in the place of the other person.

This reply is for anyone that is operating a vehicle, powered by an internal combustion engine. Motorcycle, car, truck, hotrod, etc, etc.

My first reply would be.

How about a race. Between your vehicle (insert type here) and my 250 motorcycle?

You being the other person, owning any vehicle (Ex. a R1) of your choosing.

What would you answer be?

More to Follow Your Answer of (Yes or No).

#62 ·
tell them to suck balls. Bigger bikes suck at corners, have worse fuel economy, and most people that talk ********************, if they ever got on a 600 would probably crash within the first month for not understanding the speed.

Everyday use, longevity, lower cost, the 250 will reign supreme. And I should know I had a GXR 750 and a R6. The 750 is setting in the garage, the R6 is sold, and the CBR250 gets to feel the wind every single day 'cause I just love the ride better than the bigger bikes.

So ******************** everyone talks ******************** in my opinion

#63 ·
Just tell them they're clueless.

The "little" 250 does everything I want a bike to do. I'm 6' & 240 lbs. It's fast enough to bring the law down on me, but not yet. I'm seriously planning and prepping for the run from Virginia Beach to Kansas City.

One always walks a unique path in life.

#66 ·
See I feel different about the 300 as you probably talked to my buddy Nodgp on the 300 forum we ride together all the time I don't like the 300 that much. The frame feels bulky and I take turns way better versus where he has to slow a lot more, maybe it's the rider? But I'm not a big fan of the 300 I feel it's overrated because it has 50 more cc's just my opinion... Back to the whole cc thing who cares in the end your riding, its your bike ride how you want to ride... Prefect example co-worker cracks on my 250 all day just got a 13" gixxer 600cc and wrecked it the first week.... No thanks i will enjoy my low cost 250cc that i can get up to 90mph on. And taking twisties on a light bike is more then enough fuel to keep me going for years.

#65 ·
Sorry, I'm still riding my 1989 NX250 which will cruise a bit slower than the CBR250R because it is naked. I normally ride highways at 65-70 mph, so that's no biggie for me.

I have never owned a bike bigger than 250 cc, as they always did what I needed with fun and economy. Having been married since turning 19, I was always balancing family obligations as well. That prevented the blowhards from making any sense to me in the old days. Now I can afford bigger bikes but stick with the ones that I find to be the most fun for me.

#71 ·
I see the comments in general about 250cc riders get such crap to go to a bigger bike. I to got alot of slack but at the time to present about getting a upgrade. Well so far the upgrade to a bigger bike isn't in my funds reach! If you feel such pressure, seek out other 250 riders and become friends with them!! This way it's entirely up to YOU to upgrade!!

#72 ·
In our society, unless you chose the thing that most people think is "cool" you will always be criticized. Make the best decision for yourself, for the time being, while still looking ahead to the rest of your life. For 18 years I have driven a minivan which hs served my needs completely, but is not as popular as a SUV, which would not have served my needs (I did test drive some)
But the good news is that after all those years of driving a van, I get nothing but awe and amazement when I show up on the CBR250!

#73 ·
People who truly understand what riding is really about wouldn't even think of saying this to another rider.

People that don't ride and give you advice about your bike should only be seen as amusing and ignorant.

Super simple - ride exactly what YOU like to ride, and only take advice when you ask for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#74 ·
Craig is totally right. I want to have fun while I'm riding. Not really interested in impressing anyone with what I ride as much as how I ride. And most people on those bigger bikes will get to see how well you ride, cause they'll be behind you.( until they hit the straight away and take off) lol. But you'll get them in the corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#77 ·
lots of big bikers in my place go for the inline 4 type simply 'cause they have the best sound in general or a v-twin cruiser for the "cc". And lots of them rev the heck out of the bike even riding at 10-15 kph just to show off. In a place where streets were flooded with small bikes like mine, doing that is annoying, impolite and completely stupid! Yes, youngsters may love and look at those bikes, but most will feel the same way as I do: annoyed. Many of them use an SS like the CBR1000RR, R1 just for weekend coffee, never actually learn to ride properly, they even ride the Z1000 with flip-flops!!! I am insulted seeing that kind of crap everyday.

I even have a friend who ride a 125cc scooter, put a lot of mod into it and tried to reach 125 kph yet told me to switch my CBR250R to a bigger one, claiming that it is too weak for me and laugh, you guys know what I do? I gave him this:

But I actually did not, 'cause I keep in mind the riding spirit will overwhelm such little jealousy and smile, 'cause I have what he would not dare to dream of owning ;)

So back to the topic: we buy and own and ride the bike we feel most capable of in term of cost, ability, skill and even external factors like streets condition, needs... Which means we don't need to give any f*** to those comments.

#78 ·
I would rather ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow.In the twisties you can only use so much power.I have a blast wringing the 250 for all its got.Reminds me of a dirt bike.Look at the track times at the local motocross track.The fastest are almost always the 125s.

#79 ·
None of us shd feel bullied. Each of us choose a bike that best services our needs and wants which includes looks and where we choose to travel. Many on this forum own more than one bike. As awesome as the 250 is, the truly honest will tell you that a larger cc with comfortable ergo's best meets their needs for long highway hauls. This does not mean the ceebee is a sub optimal bike. It's the best bike Ive owned and rode. Let's be honest, those of us who go on regular long hauls like a bike that travels with ease and comfort at highway speeds will admit that we hurt on the wee bee. The 250 does it well but not necessarily the best. Therefore, if one chooses to trade up to meet their needs, don't feel bad. It's all a part of the MC world.

#80 ·
There is almost no point in arguing with them. Majority of "riders" that bash 250's are too ignorant to understand the reasons for riding one.
Bike cost, mods cost, easy to ride, easy to learn on, cornering capability are ridiculous, and it does exactly what you need it to do.
Even having 8 years motocross experience, I feel that I will never NEED anything more than a 250. I love my Ninjette's and the only other bikes I've ever looked at are the CBR250, Ninja 300, Yamaha WR250X, and KTM Duke 390.
Just give the douche bags some intelligent, educated responses for all the exact reasons why you chose it.
The guys that say "you won't be able to keep up" have obviously never ridden with anyone on a 250 in the twisties. Have fun lugging yout 750 around while I float effortlessly through the corners and wait 5 minutes for you to catch up.

#81 ·
I bought the 250 knowing full well everybody's bike would be bigger and faster. I could be riding a Street Tripple and someone on a Monster or Cbr1000rr would appear from nowhere and disappear ahead of me. So what.

I enjoy riding my small sports bike and might have even bought a 125 if there were any decent offerings. If someone has a bigger bike than me good for them.

Reactions: Asako
#82 ·
one word..ignorance..i guess theres a few more word i could throw out, but they have all been posted already..the cbr250 is as capable a bike that is out there as far as affordability, handling, versatility, mpg, fun factor,and look at the youtube clips of the thing at the track!!...its just an awesome motorcycle..this coming from someone who had to trade mine in because of a bad hip..now im riding a suzuki m50 and i love the thing but i still miss the ceebee..

#86 · (Edited)
It seems to me that most people who "tease" me about the size of my bike just fail to appreciate, embrance, or think deeply about what riding at times might mean to them when they are out on the road. Or they've forgotten. I parked my CBR250R next to some Harleys a couple of years ago and one of the group standing nearby quipped "When are you going to ride a real bike". I looked up, smiled, and said something like "When I'm out on the open road, in the middle of nowhere, fighting wind, rain, cold - and I see another rider approach from the other direction - experiencing the same - it doesn't matter what we're riding - we are both brothers". I heard a muffled "Amen" from one of them and then nothing. You could suddenly hear crickets chirping in the background - it was so quiet. They've been there. They understood. Nothing more needed to be said. I merely had to remind them.

I love all kinds of motorcycles - always have. Powerful bikes have their place. Yet there is so much more to riding than just top speed and acceleration. Some of the most rewarding rides for me have been at 40 mph, on a twisty road, surrounded by forest, visor cracked open just a bit, cool, fresh air wisping through my helmet, smell of foliage, pine needles, a distant campfire, amazing scenery, wildlife.....the sound of my bike providing a soothing background track. Many of my friends find such rides the most rewarding too - and they are the ones riding bigger, much more powerful bikes. Yet - you don't need a big bike to enjoy this kind of experience. And I am an adrenalin junkie - yet I enjoy both experiences.

Usually - when people tease me about riding a small displacement bike and I recognize that it is just some "good natured ribbing" - I just laugh and let it slide. Let them have fun. I can take the teasing. But at other times when I get the sense that the person seems to genuinely have no clue as to why I would ride a small displacement bike - and appears to be a newb - I explain to them why in the most honest manner. Others, who I know have many years of riding experience - and should know better - well - I tend to feel sorry for them. I wonder if they also think that the most rewarding part of sex involves orgasming as quickly as they can. There is a whole other world out there that they seem to be missing. Like an older women once taught me many years ago....there is much more to making love than just having sex. And so too with riding (as mentioned in the second paragraph above).

With that said - if you truly want to pi$$ off someone who is intentionally trying to put you down based on the bike you're riding - saying "fu4% off" would certainly be immediately gratifying - but I think it might subtly communicate to them that you are just defensive - because deep down inside you think they may be right. Instead - if you really want to pi$$ them off - just laugh a little at them and say "You're really naive", shake your head, smile, and then chuckle in a condescending tone. If they ask you what you mean. Just repeat those steps - and leave. Don't give them any explanation. This will make their blood boil. Just put on your helmet and be prepared for when they suddenly try to punch you in the back of the head as you are walking away. :)

#88 ·
I think a lot of people here in North America also have no clue about hp to weight ratios nor the speeds our 'little' 250 is capable of. Most times when I ask they think we can't do 60km/h (37mph). Most don't have an answer/comeback when I tell them I can do 140km/h on the highway with it.

Even talking about a 600 SS which has approx 120hp the odd person will say 'yeah but my car has 200hp, I thought bikes were fast' -- I try not to laugh at them.

#90 ·
Here in NZ the motorcycle licensing laws have become so much tougher that anyone starting out will now need to complete three licensing stages over 2 years minimum to qualify to ride any class of bike. Because of this the majority of motorcyclists are not inclined to be disparaging of 250 riders. Interestingly since NZ introduced last October the LAMS approved list of motorcycles (150kw per tonne up to 660cc) for riders on L and R licences, I have yet to come across any rider with a bike >250cc / <660cc. The industry here promoted the law changes hard in an effort to drive up new rider moto sales but demand for the higher cc bikes just hasn't eventuated whist 250cc sales have continued to trend up through our summer season.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.