Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Being "bullied" onto a bigger bike

21K views 96 replies 68 participants last post by  shisoshin 
#1 ·
I seem to be catching a lot of flack from people recently for owning a 250. I have a few friends that are interested in motorcycles and sometimes ride. I am forced to listen to comments like the following: "You need to get a big boy bike" "I would never get a 250, i'd need to go straight to a 600" "You're just not going to be able to keep up, when I get my bike." I even had a girl that doesn't ride say that I ride a "girls bike", because she rides on the back of her boyfriends 600 sometimes. The worst comments seem to come from people who don't even ride on a regular basis. Which is very annoying. I'm starting to almost believe that I should move up! Is there anyway to shut these people up without sounding like a complete jerk? Also I'd love to here if anyone else has experienced this, what they heard, and how they handled it.

#91 ·
2 years ago .......I rode a CBR125r and went EVERYWHERE on it !!! Yes....I toured on it !!! It was super-cool (and good for the ego) when I pulled into gas stations, restaurants, etc and people would come by and be amazed about touring on a little bike !! 3 police officers were really impressed with us (my buddy rode a CBR125r too)....asking lots of questions !!! One even laughed a little..he just bought his 12 year old son a motorcycle ...a 200cc one... he said that was funny were traveling with a bike smaller than his son's !! I always answer lots and lots of questions !!! And you know what ............... I had a TON of fun !!! Over 6000 kms on that little bike in about 6 months (thats how long our riding season is :(). 75% of those kms were long distance touring !!! :D

But I did want something abit better for travel....so I got my CBR250r !! So I guess I too got "bullied" into a bigger bike !! Now I got the "perfect" bike for me !! I thought I loved my WeeBR.....BUT my 250 is a great bike and have enjoyed the 7000+ kms I travelled this past season !! :D
Can't wait for our riding season to start for 2013 ...still around 2 months to go !! :mad:

#92 ·
I'm dragging up this old thread I started over 3 years ago for a good reason. I eventually moved up from the CBR250R, and bought a 2011 GSX-R750 and a couple CBR1000RRs and didn't look back. Until this past year when I purchased another CBR250r for my girlfriend to begin ridding. I found myself ridding it more than her! Even with 175hp 1000cc bike in the garage I took the 250 out and had just as much fun without being on that extremely thin line between being alive and dead when pushing a bike on the street.

Using a bike to its full potential is what most enthusiasts my age completely miss when starting out on larger displacement bikes. Yes there are faster bikes, but can you really use ALL of your 600 or 1000 supersport's performance every minute you're on it? You can push the hell out of these nimble small displacement bikes every single minute and they will only reward you for it. If I pushed the 1000 like that consistently I wouldn't be typing this right now. In fact i'd be dead or in jail within a week.

It saddens me deeply to read my initial post. Someone else's opinion who didn't even ride hurt my fragile teen ego. If I hear anything now even remotely close to "flack" I just tell them what they've missed out on. I let them know that there is more to ridding than outright speed in a straight line. I let them know that they've skipped over such a delightful and furiously fun group of bikes. It's their choice to listen or not. If don't listen they are definitely missing out.

I'd also like to thank everyone for the support you all gave me back then. It was all positive and warm and it kept me on two wheels.

#93 ·
Being "bullied" onto a bigger bike

I kept my '12 cbr250r from new. Two years ago I added a '14 Daytona 675 and shortly after a K7 gsxr 600.

Each bike has a different purpose and gets used regularly.

I think Wynne in his earlier post sums it up nicely ??

#94 ·
I kept my '12 cbr250r from new. Two years ago I added a '14 Daytona 675 and shortly after a K7 gsxr 600.

Each bike has a different purpose and gets used regularly.

I think Wynne in his earlier post sums it up nicely ??
Very true. Some people just think these small displacement bikes have no reason for existing, and they're fun dammit! How do you like the 675? I've heard great things about the handling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.