Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Being "bullied" onto a bigger bike

21K views 96 replies 68 participants last post by  shisoshin 
#1 ·
I seem to be catching a lot of flack from people recently for owning a 250. I have a few friends that are interested in motorcycles and sometimes ride. I am forced to listen to comments like the following: "You need to get a big boy bike" "I would never get a 250, i'd need to go straight to a 600" "You're just not going to be able to keep up, when I get my bike." I even had a girl that doesn't ride say that I ride a "girls bike", because she rides on the back of her boyfriends 600 sometimes. The worst comments seem to come from people who don't even ride on a regular basis. Which is very annoying. I'm starting to almost believe that I should move up! Is there anyway to shut these people up without sounding like a complete jerk? Also I'd love to here if anyone else has experienced this, what they heard, and how they handled it.

#3 ·
~~
I used to get people calling my Blur scooter a moped. It was funny for them until I took off from a stop, then it was funny for me checking my rear view.

Anyone who calls the 250 a 'girls bike' or gives you crap for it are just stupid squids, or just stupid in general. The bike can do anything within legal driving limits and can beat out most any car in MPG's. It might not have the power of bigger bikes, but it still has a respectable 0-60 for a vehicle on the road as well. Probably beat those bigger bikes through the twisty's too from what I've read.
~~

#4 ·
I've gone to several bike demos and never got any bad feedback about riding a 250. Its all positive like cool little bike. Only on forum where its non bike related do I get crap when I say I ride a 250.
There are a lot of people who ride a bigger bike that like the new Ninja 300.

#5 ·
The CBR250 is a very capable bike. People who make comments, and own bikes like that usally do it for the attention. My best advice would be to get the bike that meets your needs, and not conform to what everyone else gets. If you feel that you have outgrown a 250 then by all means upgrade. There is a lot that can be learned on the 250 though. A 600 or bigger can offer you the following...
- Higher Top Speed and Acceleration
- Higher Maintenance Costs
- Higher insurance premiums
- Worse fuel economy

Oh, and my comments for those folks.. Not even owning a bike. Ask them what its like riding the shoelace express.

And for the folks with the bigger sport bikes. You can keep up with them if they are treavleing at a normal rate of speed. The CBR250 can make it to 80+MPH no problem. It just takes a little longer to get there. But exceeding the speed limit is another topic. Let the trolls be trolls and keep riding.

#8 ·
I get a little of this myself, I think it's because I look more like a big fat Harley guy than a sport bike guy, but whatever. One guy, who I didn't even know, asked "Why so small?" I started with the usual "It gets great mileage and is plenty sporty enough for me and it didn't cost very much" but I stopped in the middle and just gave him the ol' "It's not the size, it's knowing what to do with it that counts" line and walked away. I found this line works and keeps things light enough, but a good "f*ck off" could serve the same purpose.

#10 ·
Easy responce tell them you MPG and the cost of your bike new there is very very few who can keep up with that. Next flat out say I'm not trying to over compensate for a small dick lol sorry they are being dicks so let them have it. Next go for a ride they can ride there bike you will ride yours 0-60 isn't an issue at all for the 250 with even 2 up. 0-70 with one up is not an issue to keep up with any "normal" cars yes a porche 911 would be an issue. And it's a motorcycle to get you form point a to b with great gas milage and is fun as hell to ride. Last but not least if they still give you crap ask them to look up MOTO GP 250 that will shut them up real fast.

#12 ·
i'd say most of the people who makes these comments wouldn't know what a piston is. its just mere pomp and show for them to know a a litre class and 1000 cc.
they probably dont ride neither they know what a 250 is capable of.

Just someone drove a ferrari. dosent make other cars bad..and if they are so intrested why dont you ask them to gift ya one ? i thought it was just in india
people keep comin up with free advices and suggestions about the things they
dont know bout..

ignore... keep the lid on..and keep riding..

#15 ·
This thread is funny. I only recently purchased my CBR250R and haven't ridden it much with my buddies yet. But be proud of whatever you ride. I've been riding for 20+ years everything including 1000cc sport bikes and big Harleys. You tell them some big old ex-Harley dude you know has one and loves it. Great to have a bike that you can use all the power, all the time, with great handling and comfortable riding position. And it will run with the big boys on most sane rides, and still get 68mpg all day long. Or the f...off or overcompensating comments are great too.

#16 · (Edited)
a guy at work give me trouble all the time. He drives a diesel f250. I tell him it cost me 8 bucks a week to go 200 miles you sit at about 100 a week. I also dont need to overcompensate for lack of manhood.

Also, Doing alot of research on bikes. If I would go bigger I would skip the 600 and go straight to the 750 class. The two bikes are almost identical except the 150cc difference.

#18 ·
I do not agree with describing the CBR or any other motorcycle a beginners bike. The CBR is a motorcycle, a lightweight low powered motorcycle which is suitable for beginners. In the hands of a biginner it's a bigginers bike, but in the hands of an expert it's an experts bike. A highly skilled rider can make a 250 do things that a biginner can't even imagine.

My last primary street bike was a modified Ducati SS1000 which I purchased new and rode for 6 years. I am having far more fun on the CBR than I ever had on the Ducati.

Spend some time at any race trak and sooner or later you will see a talented rider on some small rat bike blowing by lots of bigger machines.

When you lift your helmet off the shelf to go riding use the empty space to store your ego and then go out and enjoy the CBR for what it is.

You can upsize but you really can not upgrade.

#19 ·
I'm 58 years old and grew up in a vastly different motorcycle "culture" than most. My first 2 wheeler had a Briggs and Stratton engine with a pull start. (I was 7). While the majority of my experience has revolved around motocross/ trailbike stuff, I have owned several street bikes (Honda 350, 1976 Silverwing, Kawa 440 LTD, BMW R80, ) Most people my age have gone to big Cruisers or Goldwings...My girlfriend and I have ridden from Chattanooga, TN to Asheville, NC and several other road trips. And I have heard more than a few of the comments like what you're hearing...sad....these people have either forgotten or never experienced what riding is all about....simply getting on what you've got and riding it to where you want to go....Even on this site, it seems to be more about the mods, the gear, the noise, etc...The best advice I could offer is simply know you made a wise decision to purchase what you did, enjoy riding what you bought, and if they have a problem with it, let it remain their problem and not yours. BUT...FYI...I did think of a good comeback for the girl. I got exactly the same comment once and explained that because I had bought a less expensive bike that burned less fuel and costs less to maintain, that my girlfriend and I were having lunch at a nice restaurant and told her that we hoped she and her husband enjoyed their Big Mac and fries....

#20 ·
First things first, tell them all to piss off and enjoy your ride. I own a Harley beside my CBR250R and sometimes hear the same BS when I ride my CBR250R. I have no issues telling them all exactly what I think. Hell I have NOTHING to prove to anyone. I absolutely love my CBR250R and simply don't care what others say or think.
Those who cave into what others say generally wind up buying more bike than they need or can handle.
*****Remember, YOU are the only person who you need to please.*****
Cheers!
:)

#22 ·
Still don't get why some chick who rides b!tch feels she's in a position to throw out a comment about riding a "girls bike". Now THAT wld get under my skin a tad.

#23 ·
I have ridden for many years and just recently got the CBR. Having ridden around on the 600+/800/1000 bikes, there are few things that I do miss. However what I miss it replaced with everything I love about a 250. I was one of those ignorant ones that are bothering you. Than I came across articles in a magazines discussing the things they were doing on the 250's that was different than the larger sport bikes. My curosity was peaked.
Now, sitting in my drive way next to my 675 is a 250. I use it often on my longer rides because of the gas mileage. She would be my daily commuter if the parking garage arms would register that I was sitting there. I know I could add plates to her to help with that but I am just too ******************** lazy right now for that.
Given what I have learned about the 250, I would say just smile at them, pat them on the shoulder and tell them that they have absolutely no idea of what they are missing. But it is okay, one day too they might be able to ride a big boy bike like a 250. Leave them with that - a sense of mystery that there is (which we know there is) something uniquely different that makes them stand out and stand above.

#24 ·
Ignore the f*ck outta them, seriously. The CBR250 is my first bike. I bought it cash, learned to ride it in an afternoon (my first time *bats eyelids*), and my husband continuously tells me how awesome the gas mileage is. I bought it as my step-up to the Honda VT750 Shadow (2012) - since I am more of the cruiser girl type - but I'm loving the 250 so much that I'm inclined to ride her forever.

A lot of guys give me ******************** for not starting on the 600, but you should see their faces when I say that I'm "moving up" to the 750. " A cruiser?" they ask, like they have trouble even SAYING the word "cruiser".

The point is - and I hope you get out of this the same as I did - everyone has an "expert" opinion. And until they actually ride the 250 and love it like you do, they will NEVER understand, no matter what you say to them. So in response to the guys who give you ******************** about not getting a 600, just nod and smile, my friend. Nod and smile.

#25 ·
When people come up to me with legitimate (but dumb) questions--e.g., can you keep up on the freeway--I set them straight and tell them what I like about riding a 250. Light, nimble, high MPG, cheap, easy to maintain, inexpensive to insure, etc. When I run into idiots, I just roll my eyes and walk away. Trying to have a logical discussion with a moron is a waste of time.

Honestly, I run into far more people who think 250s are great bikes, especially people who really know how to ride. Everyone who has been around the block has a story about a track day where an instructor stomped the s*** out of everyone else riding a 250 (with a passenger).

#26 ·
Tell them to f**k off. ;)
^ now there is something we can agree on :cool:

nothing better than having a "cool-guy" talk cRap about the 250....
.... then split his wig :eek:

they talk , and talk , and talk , telling their cool stories on their 1000's how the go 1000mph and pop super cool power wheelies on they highway and how you can't do that on a "girls bike" ..... just let them talk and talk , and when they finish , ....well , actions speak louder that words ... and my 250 is LOUD :)

they don't talk much after that :D

she's been getting a lot of respect lately :cool:

BTW-anyone that talks cRap about the 250 (or any size MC) doesn't know cRap about motorcycles and in Florida there's a ton of cool-guys on their 1000's and 600's that like to talk ....just think of it as filtering out the people that know what they're talking about and the cool-guys that don't know cRap ;)

#28 ·
I'm on my 25th motorcycle. I recently downsized from getting a reckless driving ticket for doing a wheelie. After getting a non freeway legal scooter however, it became a hassle taking side streets, and the susp was too harsh.

CBR 250 is great for my needs, MPG nearly as good as the scooter, and better for my back.

I used to own a ZX-10R, GSXR1000, GSXR750, Kawasaki 636, etc. So, if anyone calls me a wuss or says I'm on a chick bike...they may be right, but it doesn't bother me. I just show them this video of me on my old bike:

#29 ·
I am the attention of many jokes from riders at work due to my 250. I brush it off and joke right back at them.

Im seriously looking for an article/post I read a while back (not on this site) about why 250's rock.

My thought is my bikes 0-60 is way faster than my car (and probably most cars on the road). I handle fine on the interstate. The MPG is great. Most importantly I still love it.

Im a commuter too so I ride a lot more than others. Most people seem to be joy riders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.