Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

New or used?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Asako 
#1 ·
I sold my old Ninja 500 last week. I'm looking to replace it with a CBR. I checked out a 2011 CBR250R today. It only has 3,000 miles. They are asking $3,000. At first glance it looked like new. Upon further inspection I started to notice some flaws. The foot brake lever was scratched, gray plastic cracked by the seat, small ding in gas tank, and the rubber looked a bit chewed up on the handlebar. Looks like it's been dropped at slow speed. Didn't notice any scratches on the engine or frame. Also noticed some red paint on the fairing that has been touched up. I was so excited to purchase this bike, but now I'm having doubts. I'm thinking maybe I should bite the bullet and get a new bike? I also checked out a white Ninja 300 ($4,800) today. It's a good looking bike. Dealer kept pushing me to the older ninja 250's. Offered some nice deals, but I told him I did not want a carbureted bike. New 2013 CBR's go for $4,100 around here. Honda dealer said new plastic was $35 to fix the cracked piece. The crack is not that noticeable. I was invited to take a test ride on the cbr but I didn't have time today. I work full time and referee to pay for my toys. $1,000 - $2,000 dollars is a lot of reffing to pay for a new CBR or Ninja. Sitting on the new bikes today really got my blood pumping. Weather has been unusually cold for this time of year, but I know it can't last much longer. Can't wait to ride.

#2 ·
It's been cold here too. But, it will warm up soon enough.
I believe a new cbr is now $4200 + $310 destination at most dealers.
With that in mind the used one will go out the door for about 2/3 's the price, not bad.
3000 miles is just broken in. Sounds like a deal to me.
Good luck, and happy motoing!

Cheers

#3 ·
If you can manage those 1,000 more, go for the new..
But if you can't hold any longer, you can go for the used one but you should carefully check the engine, I'll second minor scratches on cosmetics, we can fix it by the time since CBR body parts pretty cheap if we compare it to ninja.. That's my two cents.. ;)

Sent from my GT-P1000N using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
I just got mine in Fairfield, OH (should be a relatively similar market). I got it out the door for 4600. I was really oggling the Ninja 300 too but I, like you, was just in the market for a fuel injected commuter bike. The slipper clutch wasnt super appealing to me, and I rode a 300 and didnt really like the clutch feel at all. Id agree with BT and buy new if you can, but if you can give the used one a good test ride and very thorough once over (know what to look for before you go look at it), and you like it, thats a decent deal. There havent been any significant changes between 2011-2013 except the paint scheme on the tricolor. The first service is pretty important on any bike so ask to see the service records from the guy too and make sure he got it done when its supposed to get done (~600 miles) and didnt put it off a long time.

#6 · (Edited)
Same. Only reason I know is cause someone at the bike shop I go to had just bought one and brought it in, and I mentioned that I was thinking about buying one and he let me take it around the parking lot. Two things: 1) Its an assisted clutch, and I could definitely tell. It didnt feel natural at all. 2) The friction zone on the stock setup is literally RIGHT at the end of the pull. Though I dont know if thats actually a BAD thing, per say, I just prefer to actually have to pull the lever a little bit. I like the friction zones location on the CBR. (At least on my bike) It's about smack dab in the middle of the pull, and was really easy for my muscle memory to adapt to.

I also didnt like that you had to get the SE Ninja 300 to be able to get ABS. Its not like that overseas. Its stupid to have to pay $500 more on paint JUST so you can spend another $500 or whatever on ABS

#7 ·
Buy the used one... you won't feel so bad the first time you drop it, the original owner kindly already paid for those sacrificial virgin scratches. Besides, new plastic is dirt cheap on these bikes.

Spend the $1500 you just saved on some top shelf protective apparel. Most guys buying these bikes new, sign the deal and ride away without a pot to piss in, and then end up having to skimp by with crappy helmets and gear. Most can't afford insurance either... Don't be one of those guys. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.