Motorcycle Camera? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #1

Thanked 1,487 Times in 760 Posts
Default Motorcycle Camera?

I've been thinking of getting a video camera for my bike. I tried a really cheap one, but was rubbish. It was badly effected by vibration, and the view angle was too narrow. I've been looking at this one. DogCam Bullet HD Bike Camera Package | Bike Cameras | DogCam Sport

I don't really want to spend much more than this. Can anyone recommend a decent camera that's easy to mount on the bike, is waterproof, not too expensive, and has reasonably good video quality?

Click for mpg >>> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/489745.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #2

It is a little more but I use and suggest the GOPRO HD Hero 2. If you watch the adds you can pick one up at cyclegear.com for $199 US.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

To me, the best quality videos i've seen that were shot on a bike are those of mordeth13's. I therefore assume his camera is top notch. And it follows your sight, which is a big plus I think: proving you checked you blind spots, showing stuff to the viewer... You can use it for all kinds of things as well - but you need a helmet that can fit a pair of glasses.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,113 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne G Oldman View Post
It was badly effected by vibration... Can anyone recommend a decent camera that's easy to mount on the bike, is waterproof, not too expensive, and has reasonably good video quality?
Virtually any consumer camera will pick up even the slightest engine vibrations when mounted on the bike, resulting in almost unwatchable video, particularly on a single cylinder motorcycle. A camera which is mounted either on the riders helmet, or using a chest harness such as the one made by GoPro (about $40 USD), will give you much better picture quality as the camera is well isolated from the vibrations of the bikes engine.

As Jmia18 says, the GoPro Hero 2 cameras can be had for $200 USD, now that the Hero 3 is out and is marketed as the "latest & greatest" GoPro model.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #5

This is the cheapest GoPro I can find over here. New Gopro HD Hero Naked Camcorder Action Cam *1080p FULL HD* 0185323000705 | eBay Is it any good? Are there any major differences between the newer models and this one?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Super Moderator

From what I've heard, the GoPro Hero 2 has a better (sharper) picture quality than the standard Hero. Here in the U.S. the Hero is selling for $50 less than the Hero 2.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #7

Thanks for that Mike. The example I posted is right at the top end of my budget, and my missus will slap me if I buy it. I'll have a think about it. I think they've got plenty in stock.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the prices a little further in the near future, to move them off the shelves. I'm looking to get the Hero 2 myself, but I'm not in any hurry either.
My brother has the Hero 2, which he uses for off road enduro racing... he has some amazing looking video using the chest harness.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #9

I might sell my hero2 to one of you if your interested
+ two 32gb sdcard a few mounts and such

Im looking at getting a new model or those glasses
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #10

The Hero 3 White is 199.99 over here but it's $199.99 in the US with free shipping. That's 124.73. I think I'm going to buy one of those, get it shipped to my company's US office, and have it sent over here with the next load of parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement