Time for change? - Page 11 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #101

Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,120 Posts

I could fire this thread up with a simple one liner lol.. but I wont

but the moment Luke closes this thread I'll start a 'God is for idiots' thread hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post

but the moment Luke closes this thread I'll start a 'God is for idiots' thread hehe.
if you use a "g" instead of a "G" it winds the idiots up more.

wait.......
Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #103

Quote:
Haha, you would be that guy. Seriously, why do you think it's such a polarizing topic for many so people, though? I understand where both sides are coming from, so I try to bridge that gap a little. The pro and con folks on this issue here in the US are pretty ugly to each other sometimes.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #104

I think it is because here in the US we are so passionate about guns that we quite often present ourselves as being irrational. When someone asks an honest and sincere question the response will often be a terse one liner such as "Freedom Isn't Free" or ". . . from my cold dead fingers" or "What are you, a communist or something?" rather than their true thoughts and rationale. It comes off as arrogant but we don't feel we need to defend our position even if the personal position is 'I wanted a gun, it's legal so I bought one'.

So when an issue arrises that is gun related, we among ourselves have a difficult time dealing with that aspect.

In other parts of the world, there are still wildernesses full of dangerous animals, despotic governments, and criminals. They think about and deal with them differently. And yes, sometimes they use guns.

Last edited by Rory_L; 12-27-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: minor edit,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #105

Thanked 1,293 Times in 690 Posts
Garage

Quote:

Hmmmmm......interesting. There's something about Aufitt!
The Following User Says Thank You to live_to_ride For This Useful Post:
Aufitt (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #106

I'm going to make an analogy that our UK friends might appreciate:

Buckfast's Tonic Wine!

A delightful alcoholic beverage that was developed by Benedictine monks (hey Aufitt, religion!) that is the preferred drink of hooligans out for a good time. Apperently, they will down a couple of bottles then go on to exhibit irrational behavior (excuse me, behaviour) and commit violent acts. They litter the streets with empty Buckfasts bottles and often break them to use as weapons to assault their victims.

A local government (in Scotland, I believe) tried to ban Buckfasts but was met with massive protests from the public.

You had to look for in the reports but while they were showing the UK rioting on TV here in the news you could always see some young men (14 year old kids actually) wearing jogging suits, heads shaved, with a bottle of Buckfasts.

It's not sold here in the US. I've never tried it. But I hear (some) people in the UK are upset because the government it trying to take something away that they hold dear and are downright if not conveniently passionate about.

It is different than gun control on one level, but is it really?
The Following User Says Thank You to Rory_L For This Useful Post:
Wynne G Oldman (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #107

Garage

Why don't you guys debate over the right to own stuffies? They are soft, cuddly, come in different sizes, shapes, colors, species....even in the shape of a gun. You can even toss them at someone and no one gets hurt. I have many stuffies ) j/k. Carry on!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_to_ride View Post
Why don't you guys debate over the right to own stuffies? They are soft, cuddly, come in different sizes, shapes, colors, species....even in the shape of a gun. You can even toss them at someone and no one gets hurt. I have many stuffies ) j/k. Carry on!
It would degenerate into a fist fight !
Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #109

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory_L View Post
It would degenerate into a fist fight !
Ha ha.....you're correct on that. Then it wld become personal. Best keep distance.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory_L View Post
I think it is because here in the US we are so passionate about guns that we quite often present ourselves as being irrational. When someone asks an honest and sincere question the response will often be a terse one liner such as "Freedom Isn't Free" or ". . . from my cold dead fingers" or "What are you, a communist or something?" rather than their true thoughts and rationale. It comes off as arrogant but we don't feel we need to defend our position even if the personal position is 'I wanted a gun, it's legal so I bought one'.
This is kind of the problem though. It gives us a bad rap, even if by foreigners who are exaggerantly misinformed. I think most of us are reasonable minded when it comes to personal protection, but these types of events cause the extremists to sensationalize it. It's kind of gross. Nothing seems to get done about it. Just a bunch of reactionary types on one side who equate banning all weapons to "making them go away forever" and the NRA on the other side, which is its own problem in and of itself. What frustrates me is why no one says "lets put our emotions aside and see what actually yields results".

I feel like everything gets too politicized here sometimes. Perhaps this wouldn't be the case if we weren't "passionate" about guns. I'd like to see them viewed psychologically as practical tools... Like a hammer or screw driver. I've never seen someone "passionate" about a socket wrench (okay, I have, but in their defense, they're mechanics). Self defense is part of life. It's not something people are comfortable with dealing with, so that may add to the fire that burns in both camps. I actually like some of you guys' proposed solutions.

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 12-27-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty Shackleford For This Useful Post:
Rory_L (12-27-2012), Wynne G Oldman (12-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement