2011 CBR600F - Return of the Hurricane - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #1

Default 2011 CBR600F - Return of the Hurricane

CBR250R owners who are thinking about upgrading to the "next step up" in the CBR family, what if I were to tell you that the best-selling and celebrated CBR600F family of 'practical Super-Sports' had been updated for a new generation? That you might have the choice not to surrender the pleasant rider triangle ergonomics and city street-friendly torque of the 250R in your move up the displacement table? That you might not need to pay those extra thousands of dollars for the "Super Sport premium" of racetrack performance? That's the promise of the 2011-2012 CBR600F, which carries forward the road-minded and rider-friendly tradition of the CBR600F4i which was discontinued in 2003.

A picture or two:

Here's the bike's design statement on Honda's slick 2012 new/concept model motorcycle press website.

Design and riding impressions from senior Motorcycle News writer Kevin Ash

What's the catch? Well, this bike was designed and is manufactured by Honda Italy and is presently a Europe and UK-only model, which might account for the fact that press on it here in the States is effectively nonexistent. I myself have long been considering a used F4i as the standard by which I'd measure any sport bike I upgraded to after the 250R, and so my surprise was total when I stumbled upon the news that the 600F series has been back in production as of this model year. Will the CBR600F ever see this side of the pond? My fingers are crossed but apparently the outlook coming from Honda America isn't positive. I suppose they'd rather import tons of knock-off cruisers and over-engineered VFRs to feed the stereotypical American craving for raw displacement over all other factors.

So for this thread: Thoughts on the 2011-2012 CBR600F? Any motions to start a petition/million man ride to the door of Honda America HQ? Anyone from the Old World on this forum who has ridden the thing and can comment?

Last edited by umbralAeronaut; 12-14-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #2

Add the grab bars I use for my rack and take away the peaky, gas guzzling super sport cams.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #3

This will definitely be on my radar when i look to go to a mid-weight in a few years.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #4

Man that is one sharp looking helmet in the pic. Love the concept and price but make mine a VTWIN and I'll be a owner.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acura9927 View Post
make mine a VTWIN and I'll be a owner.
Then it would have a more useable power band, be better on gas and cost $2000 less. Sounds like the Suzuki SV650 that you can buy left overs right now for $6000.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acura9927 View Post
Man that is one sharp looking helmet in the pic. Love the concept and price but make mine a V-TWIN and I'll be a owner.
While I agree that the market might benefit from better options for middle-displacement, faired V-twin motorcycles, the Kawasaki 650 already exists as a parallel twin that should have the powerband characteristics it sounds like you are after (although obviously lacking that v-twinny exhaust note). Then of course there's the Suzuki SV650 that sendler mentions, but which is now discontinued I think? This is missing the point though.

The CBR600F is simply not about that. It's continuing the tradition of the Hurricane and F2/F3/F4i, each of which was for all intents and purposes a Super Sport machine! Just not like we understand the RRs of today.

They used to win trophies with these bikes in the early nineties, back before the explosion of technology that caused the "Racer Replica" fad to go high and right. That's what this is, it's essentially a legitimate super sport but without delusions of grandeur. Maybe our market just isn't ready for that and the divide between the racer replica track-day hooligans and the everyday middle-displacement sport drivers has grown too big, but based on the screaming-hot market for used CBR600 F4i's and all of their attendant aftermarket parts, I'd say a demand does exist.

Come on, I can't be the only one who is interested in the 600F family for exactly what they are, not just moaning about another middle-displacement faired "sport-alike" that could have been!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Add the grab bars I use for my rack and take away the peaky, gas guzzling super sport cams.
It may not have the big 'wing' grab bars of our 250s but there is an OEM Honda accessory that is secured with buckles around the more camouflaged grab bars that exist in the CBR600F's tail section fairing (they are there just harder to see). Any other dedicated touring gear is going to be aftermarket however. Again we're dealing with the exact nuances of what the bike's intentions are. This isn't a Sport-Tourer, it's not exactly a mere faired Standard, and it's not a beginner's bike (media branding aside), this thing is only a step or two back from the racer replicas while still dwelling in the Sport/Super Sport category (depending on how you define such things).

As for fuel economy any form of inline-4 isn't likely to be your best bet. Approximately 43-45 mpg for a total of ~170 miles on a full tank seems to be about the average that the UK rider reviewers are agreeing on. Performance has it's price.

Last edited by umbralAeronaut; 12-14-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Hmmmm. Keep the chassis, replace the inline-4 with the parallel twin from the new NC700S/X, shed about 40-50lbs, and that would be a bike I would consider purchasing. Relatively lightweight, good handling, torquey, and outstanding fuel economy. A decent spiritual successor to the CBR250R.

I love the white multi-coloured version though - wow. I'm wondering how much it would cost to have some shop replicate this colour scheme on my CBR250R. Anyone savvy enough with Photoshop to add those colours to our CBR250R to see what it would look like?

Mike
Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #8

What is the real out the door selling price? How much for a CBR600RR?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #9

The Kawasaki 650 is heavy, there is a reason they can sell it for 7,500, not enough light parts. The Suzuki SV650 was almost perfect except the 2nd gen they went with too agressive ergos in the S model. Its sounds awesome in stock form, when a SV650 drives by I take a 2nd look.

My last 2 bikes before the 250r were inline 4 cylinders. I dont think they are the most exciting engines out there. 2 cylinder and singles are more fun to me.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #10

Nice, but, how about a fuel injected CB-1? That was an oportunity missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement