Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

electric motorcycles

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  UnMonk 
#1 ·
#5 ·
For me to even look at electric bikes again things will have to change big time. From my experience with electric scooters and bikes (pedal) range is never what marketing says it is and batteries do not last as long. plus replacement batteries are expensive and making new ones and disposing of old ones are not very environment friendly.

electric wont catch on until the batteries can last atleast 100k miles and be cheap to replace. plus they need to go for 200miles at 50mph (range/speed)

#6 ·
battery technology will and is inevitably evolving
just as [say] computers or phones or tv's etc..
just read of an adelaide uni [south aust] breakthru
in battery technology yesterday..

honda already has electric motorcycles incl racers
under development aside from scooters and cars..

should be a great marketing opportunity for sound systems
onboard electric motorcycles, making akrapovic slip on noises
[so that drivers will hear them coming, of course]..

seriously tho, this is or will be the future of motorcycling..
as for picking them up, the zero out now weights 350lb..
like other things, size, weight and price will, drop..
claimed torque potentials sound very interesting..

#8 ·
battery technology will and is inevitably evolving
just as [say] computers or phones or tv's etc..
just read of an adelaide uni [south aust] breakthru
in battery technology yesterday..
I could not find anything about the Adelaide University, but I did find this article: Battery Breakthroughs | Car Talk

#7 ·
The thing that worries me is the " no noise " , if a blind pedestrian cant hear you will they step out in front of you or cars can't hear you coming ( we all know most cagers need a guide dog lol).
Looks like a fun toy even with its flaws.

#10 ·
The Zero S has evolved with highway capable speed and 50 mile range. LiFePo4 battery technology is good now with 3000 charge cycles available before they start to lose capacity if you keep the charge within the middle 80% and never try to charge them when they are below freezing. But the $14,000 US price tag is a no go unless you can really benefit from charging free at work with a dedicated parking spot right up front.
I would also rather have some bodywork and a windscreen like a CBR. Riding a naked supermoto at faster speeds with the wind blowing you all over the road isn't any fun. Some aerodynamic bodywork could increase highway range 20% and increase top speed.
The Zero is over priced. Maybe they will drop the price on the left overs after they sit unpurchased in the warehouse for a couple years and they get tired of maintaining the batteries.
Brammo spent too much on putting a transmission in the Empulse where reviewers say the only ever use 2nd or 3rd. The Enertia Plus is not quite enough with poor aerodynamics and a top speed of 60 mph and still costs $11,000.
Empulse Electric Motorcycle

#11 ·
~~
I've seen the Zero's in mags and online for awhile now. They just aren't very practical until somemore things change. There's really nowhere to charge them in a lot of parts of the US and their range seems too limited.

That said, I do like the concept of them, but it's gonna be at least another decade before fully electric anythings are going to be an option outside of the few areas of the country that have the infrastructure to fully support them (ie: charging stations away from home).
~~

#12 ·
The Vectrix is nice but also too expensive at $12,000.
Vectrix Global :: Products :: Vx-1
The Native is one of the best deals, has been through a few changes, and is now using good batteries that should last 2000 cycles if you are careful.
Electric Motorsport EV Parts
An ebike rear hub motor kit can start at $400. It is the best way to go electric but speeds are around 20 mph unlessyou get up to a high end kit where speeds of 35mph are possible.
The Grin Cyclery

#13 ·
I have a couple of these e-go electric scooters in my back yard for use to
do light shopping around my neighborhood. It's one of the most powerful "bicycle-scooter" style electric 2 wheelers on the market.

They have an incredible 40-50 mile range before battery's depleted. It tops out at around 17mph, so it's a neighborhood vehicle, you can't ride it out on a highway. This gets used just about every day, whereas my motorcycles only see usage once every 2-3 weeks, if that much.

My 1st one was bought brand new, @ $1500 about 3yrs ago. I didn't think it was being used often enough, so I sold it a yr later for $800. THen I regret not having it around just to jump on and go to the neighborhood stores, so I bought a second-hand one for $500 off CL. That was 2 yrs ago, and still being used. This yr, I picked up another used one for $200. That was the bargain of the yr. Usually though, most used ones I see are up for sale between $500-$750.

electric bikes are extremely useful and the one that I have is viewed as a bicycle in my town. No registration, no insurance, no driver's license req'd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.