Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Test Drove a Yamaha R6

9K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  madmax 
#1 ·
I bought my 2013 CBR 250r in early February 2013, ive put 7,000 miles on it in a little over a year now and the thought of upgrading to a bigger bike has been on my mind for quite some time. So i went to a local New & Used motorcycle dealership in Tallahassee and took a look at some of their 600cc's. They had an 06 Yamaha R6 with only 850 Miles on it.

I got a chance to test drive it..

:eek:

It was amazing! this was my first time on a 600 and for those of you who have yet to try, its a completely different experience from the 250 which for me was expected.

The R6 has ridiculous acceleration and speed, the only thing i could see missing about the 250 is the light weight and maneuverability and of course the MPG

but overall as much as ive loved the last year with my 250 i cant for the day i get to take an R6 home.

Anyone else out there have a 600 in addition to their 250? And if so do you ever find yourself preferring to drive the 250 over the 600?

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a similar sensation when I tried a Buell XB9S in 2003, and soon traded in my 500cc slow-dog thumper. Higher cost insurance, higher speed, faster acceleration, and an accident in 2007 made me rethink my priorities.

I loved that beast but headed downward with 750, 500, and now 250cc bike.

#3 · (Edited)
Fast bikes are only fun for so long.

IMO, Higher maintenance cost, higher Insurance rates, higher registration, way more gas, for more weight and less fun than the 250.

Yes they are fun to have, but as a commuter or just an everyday rider the 250 is a way better choice in my opinion. I myself don't see the point of those types of bikes, but that is just how I feel. It's not like there are 100mph speed limits, so why do you need a bike that goes over 150+?

When I grab another bike, It'll most likely be an adventure bike for long distance rides. Plus I want to go on some trails, so sorta wish I had a dual sport too. :D As far as sport bikes, meh. One day I'll have the 675 Daytona but still don't see the point of a bike that quick. :D

#4 ·
Fastest bike I've ever been on was my training bike from the riding school. A Kawasaki Er-6n with 650cc and 72HP (HP measurement might vary between countries as it seems different measurement procedures are used in some countries). Quite a difference from the 250 but still a long way from a 600 with 100+ HP.
The R6 is a sexy machine but from what I hear more track oriented and not so good for long runs because of it's ergonomics. I wouldn't need that much power as my riding style is more cruiser like but if you like the R6 more power too you (literally:D).

#5 · (Edited)
I agree with mostly everything all you guys said, the 250 is defiantly a great commuter bike and the better option financially.

My insurance rate actually went down when i ran a quote for a 09 R6 but i think thats probably because my 250 is 2013.

And of course there are no 100mph speed limits and the top speed isnt needed (which is probably why id never get an R1) but even when going the speed limit the R6 is just more responsive and a better performing machine even at lower speeds, however much less maneuverable due to the weight. Its just the kind of person i am to want to go fast and have the bigger bike

In a perfect world i would be able to keep my 250 in a addition to an R6 however that probably wont be the case, maybe down the road id get a supermoto or something light and fun again though

#16 ·
I agree with mostly everything all you guys said, the 250 is defiantly a great commuter bike and the better option financially.

My insurance rate actually went down when i ran a quote for a 09 R6 but i think thats probably because my 250 is 2013.

And of course there are no 100mph speed limits and the top speed isnt needed (which is probably why id never get an R1) but even when going the speed limit the R6 is just more responsive and a better performing machine even at lower speeds, however much less maneuverable due to the weight. Its just the kind of person i am to want to go fast and have the bigger bike

In a perfect world i would be able to keep my 250 in a addition to an R6 however that probably wont be the case, maybe down the road id get a supermoto or something light and fun again though
I recently had the chance to demo the latest R6 and R1. IMO, the R1 is a far more street-friendly bike. The power is anywhere you'd like - at cruising RPM's, twist the throttle and you're movin' now. Do the same on the R6, and you'll feel 250-like response... until you hit 10K on the tach. And then you're speeding. But what's power worth to you?

CBR250R and I are on the same page in regards to engine sound and aesthetic. I am really in love with the sound of an i-4. Don't necessarily desire the power as much as the burble and 15K+ redline :cool:

#6 · (Edited)
I find the most enjoyable bikes are the ones that are the most engaging to ride. At everyday speeds. While an R6 is an incredible bike in terms of power, responsiveness, and ultimate performance - in order to experience all the aural satisfaction and mechanical pleasure that the bike has to offer - you'll be constantly breaking speed limits. An R6 at 30 mph in the city, isn't a very thrilling or engaging ride. Yet smaller displacement bikes are more engrossing at these speeds, are lighter in weight, and handle better, all while delivering better fuel economy. They are also cheaper to insure and maintain. It's like they keep giving back and (unlike many high performance bikes) ask very little in return. Sometimes it helps to have a little more riding maturity under your belt in order to appreciate this exchange/balance of value. Some see it right away. Others never do.

With that said - the first manufacturer brave enough to release a 250-300cc inline 4-cylinder bike will get my business. If Honda would release an updated version of the naked 250 Hornet (insert major food deprived, canine Pavlovian salivatory response here :D) - or CBR250RR - this is the kind of bike that I think would fill a void in my current riding stable. I love - love - love - the visceral whine of gear-driven cams. I'd probably derive more enjoyment from merely starting and listening to such a bike than I would actually riding some larger, less interesting ones... I think a single-sided swing arm would be nice too. Major eye-candy. And a redline in the 16,000 - 19,000 range would excite me as well. I like to hear an intoxicating engine note while I'm riding - and I don't want to be constantly breaking speed limits to achieve it. These are the things that make a bike engaging and memorable, and lead one to be less compelled to "stray" toward a larger "upgrade" bike (or at least leads to major regret once it's sold). The former iteration of these bikes were light in weight, and great handlers too. It's like they offer the best of both worlds - the high redlines and exciting engine character of an inline 4 - but the handling and milder power and speed of smaller displacement rides. Probably lower insurance and some improvement in fuel economy too.

Granted - the insurance would likely be higher than that for the CBR250R. And the fuel economy would most definitely suffer. And maintenance would be more involving. And the running costs would be steeper. Moreover, the price probably wouldn't be that much different than the aforementioned R6. But I am older, and have tons of disposable income, and if its price simply made it more exclusive - I'd have no qualms with that.

Mike

#7 ·
... the first manufacturer that is brave enough to release a 250-300cc inline 4-cylinder bike will get my business. If Honda would release an updated version of the naked 250 Hornet (insert major food deprived, canine Pavlovian salivatory response here :D) - or CBR250RR - this is the kind of bike that I think would fill a void in my current riding stable...
I'd love to have a brand new NSR250R, but just like the CBR250RR you're describing above, it's not going to happen... sadly, those horses left the barn a long time ago.

#9 ·
The NSR's have a twin cylinder, two stroke engine... however the CBR250RR's are powered by four stroke, four cylinder engines.

You're right about two strokes though, they are smokers. But I wasn't talking about everyone having one... I was being a selfish bastard when I said I'd love to have one. :D

#10 ·
The CBR250RR was an inline 4-cylinder, 19,000 RPM, gear-driven cam, screamer. It was a 4-stroke.

A Ninja? If the 250 Ninja had 2 more cylinders, 5000 more RPM, and gear-driven cams, I'd consider it. Otherwise - it's not the same. Why settle for less? If I want to enjoy a performance oriented small displacement bike - why not go for the best? :D I've ridden the Ninja 250R quite a bit. It's a nice bike. But not nearly in the same league as the older Honda CBR250RR and Kawi ZXR250.

Mike

#11 ·
Learned something new. I was convinced the CBR 250rr was a two stroke as well. Makes the bike even more likeable than it already was.

@MM
I answered your question in the new member introduction section regarding whether I follow F1 or MotoGP. I had somehow missed that before. o_O

#13 ·
I remember reading an article a while back when people still went to a store to buy magazines. The article was on direct injection two strokes that could pass California emission tests. The bike was a NSR250 and it had a computer chip for a key, you could upload different fuel maps to the key making clean for the street or a little dirtier for the track. Even still you will never see them come back as burning oil is a concept the government can't get past, no matter how efficient they become.

#14 ·
I know quite a few people who own a 250cc in addition to a bigger cc bike(s). Myself included, as well as quite a few people I know on this forum own multiple bikes.

I prefer the CBR for quite a few rides. I prefer it for city riding, as well as for freeway ride that's less than 10 min long. You just can't beat the mpg on the CBR, as well as the maneuverability in the city.

I also prefer the CBR for tracking or track school. The parts, the entire bike for that matter, is so cheap, I don't feel nervous pushing the thing to the limit. On a higher priced, bigger cc bikes, I just don't feel comfortable pushing it to the limit.

Only thing I really miss on a bigger cc bike on the CBR is the brakes. Brakes on bigger cc bikes are so good, typically, if you ride the CBR right after you ride a bigger cc bike, feels like the brakes are broken on the thing.

#20 ·
Anyone else out there have a 600 in addition to their 250? And if so do you ever find yourself preferring to drive the 250 over the 600?
Yes i do, a 2011 GSX-R600, haven't ridden the 250 for months...i prefer the 600 in just about every way. The mpg is fine for me and i got a years worth of rego so i didn't have to worry about that cost. The thing i miss is the comfort the 250 brings that the 600 just doesn't have but i can look past that.

The 250 is better for slow city traffic stuff though, the 600 can be annoying at times for some commuting duties due to smaller turning radius and extra heat from the motor and the riding position etc :)

#22 ·
I'm lucky enough to have a cbr125r, cbr250r, cbr250rr & a Ducati st4s.
The cat is great for long trips with about 115hp stock, (yes I've tweaked it to 145hp) but she's bloody heavy when you have a bad back ( 215kg dry).
The rr is awesome fun & my 2nd fave to ride, light with plenty of grunt (60hp+ tweaked) but my fave is the 125r, it's like having a bicycle that will do 120kph lol, that's the toy I spend 90% of my time on.. Yeh it's a slug but it's so light & fun through the tight twistys.

#23 ·
It was amazing! this was my first time on a 600 and for those of you who have yet to try, its a completely different experience from the 250 which for me was expected.
Same feeling I got when I rode my mates CBR600RR, GSXR600 and GSXR1000. Zomg!

I then remember how much fun I have on my 250, how cheap it is to run, maintain, insure, and register. Every time I jump on my 250, I have smiles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#27 ·
Nice thread. I've always thought the best motorsickles were the ones with two wheels, engine, seat, and so on, and so on. Let my wife have the lil CBR when she got her M1 endorsement. She loves it, I even got to ride it this AM, still a fun bike. Not as comfy as my CB500X, but alot of fun. Most all bikes can be alot of fun. They all got high points and low. Main thing is get out and ride. Most all bikes need the odometer run up. Have fun and stay safe.

#28 ·
I know the OPs feeling. I went from the CBR to a Street Triple R. Initially, I thought this had too much power for me. 1 month on, I've realised that this bike is perfect for me. Wider power band, far more power but not enough to be hauled before the courts, unless you really want to.

In some ways I wish I'd kept the CBR as I did love just how easy it was around town and just wringing the throttle.

And if I could get my hands on a 250rr... *sploosh*

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#29 · (Edited)
600 class supersport bikes are designed to perform brilliantly on a race track. I do over 80% of my 675R riding there. And it is a very long road of learning and doing track time to even begin to harness the power and agility of this beast. So if u plan on doing lots of track time and are patient & prepared for a long learning curve then get a 600 sport bike. If your application is mostly street riding than a bigger road orientated bike would be the better choice like a CBR500, Ninja 650, SV650, or Yamaha FZ6 or FZ09. FYI, I am perfectly content with doing all my street riding on the 250R and taking it to the more technical tracks like Streets Of Willow. You will never use the power on tap or master the proper riding techniques by keeping a 600 on the street.

My 2 pennies….

#32 ·
Yeah problem with typical 600cc is that redline involves 90 mph even in 1st ... impossible to enjoy the bike's crazy high upper rpms in a daily environment. If 1st was 40 mph and 2nd 75 mph, it would be a devastatingly crazy quick street bike and freeway merge monster lol. Frankly I don't give a hoot about top speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.