2013 models from Zero - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #1

Default 2013 models from Zero

Zero have announced a new range for 2013, with some quite marked improvements compared to the current range. https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/uk/2013

The street model, Zero S, improves capacity from 9kWh to 11.4kWh, which extends range from 114/63 to 137/70 city/highway at 550mpge The top speed is pushed up to 95mph from 88mph with a 54hp engine.

Bad news is the cost goes from GBP11,750 to GBP13,500, quite a marked jump. Just like cars, electric bikes almost look mature, the feats in TT zero are certainly fairly impressive and show what might be capable. The performance of this new announcment looks quite good, it's a shame the increase in battery capacity (26%) wasnt matched by an increase in range (a good 20% city, but only an extra 10% highway).
Thinking about my commute, it's 30 miles each way, and mostly on highway, so 70 mile range is a bit close, and is a bit short for leisure riding.
For commuting, i do like the idea of being able to plug in and trickle charge overnight, effectively never having to 'fill up'.

However, besides the range anxiety, the price is quite substantial, you could have a fireblade for that money with 2k left over. If you purchase it under the guise of saving fuel money, my calculations put the break even mark at about 180,000km!.

I think its awesome to see this tech starting to mature, but its not quite competitive yet. I hope to keep my CBR for a few years, but i also hope that should i decide trade up in say '14/'15, electric might just about be ready enough to entice me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #2

I really like the zero motorcycles. In fact, discovering the Zero line is what made me seriously consider motorcycles in the first place: I love electric vehicles! I agree with you, though: the price is still too steep for it to be practical. I'll learn on my CBR for awhile so I am comfortable on standard motorcycles with manual transmissions. The gas mileage is great on our CBRs, so I know I'm making a step towards being "greener." Maybe one day the Zero line will be cheaper, then I will consider getting one. Just remember: electric vehicles are silent, so have to be even more vigilant in traffic.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

around pedestrians yes, id imagine more care is required there. I know i use sound to help keep an eye out for cars, and ive had pedestrians step out infront of me while on a push bike, but im not sure about in other motorised traffic, c.f discussion on whether loud exhausts make you safer.

What'd be really awesome is when both electric vehicles and wireless charging are mature. Imagine just parking you car/bike over the charger embedded in your driveway/garage then walking away and comming back to a full battery the next morning, not just no filling up, but not even plugging in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement