Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Aussie riders. a question or 2

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Joeboo 
#1 ·
so been watching some youtubes of some lucky bastage Aussies riding around on a Triumph Street Triple R. Still love that bike but something just occured to me.

(living 2 dreams thru you tube i guess. owning a Street Triple R and living in Oz.)

Yes i knew you ride on the left side of the roads. but in that case. do you wave at passing riders? Here in North America we on right side so it easy to do the left hand down 2 finger "salute" but how would that work in Oz?

Are the bike controls reversed in Oz? (like cars) or is clutch on left/throttle on right still?

might seem a silly question but cant see how the wave would work there.

#2 · (Edited)
ps - it looks like the test tide was in the Adelaide area. At the end of the vid i saw a sign that said Harley Heaven. Google showed several locations but the you tube thanked someone for the test ride and he is at the Adelaide shop.

this just 1 of 3 places i would love to be in. Perth and Melbourne being the other 2.

#4 ·
Here, in Melbourne at least, there is not the culture of fellow bikers greeting each other, as it appears to be in the U.S. Passing riders do sometimes eyeball each other's bike, but there is little acknowledgement.

On the otherhand, here commuters on the trains will easily talk to strangers, whereas I've heard in the U.K no-one speaks on 'the tube'.

#7 ·
waving on bikes and chatting on public transport

I have lived and ridden many places in Canada and USA, and almost everywhere most bikers wave, but certainly not all bikers. Exception: I visited Daytona in early March for "Bike Week" and it would have been impossible to wave to all bikers so nobody waved at all.

I have also used public transportation a lot, mainly to get to work.

In Toronto, where trains and buses are frequent, almost nobody acknowledges anyone else is present, even when the vehicles are very crowded and even standing room is hard to find. I recall a colleague calling Toronto's subway, "The Glum Train", whereon everybody tries to make a longer sadder face than all the commuters near him.

Here in Sarasota Florida, a city of about 100,000 (seasonally) bus service is not so good, because demand for it is low. Buses run every hour (half-hour on the busiest routes) and going by bus is not very attractive to anyone with a vehicle. So the people on the bus are there because they have to be, and they keep seeing the same people day after day, going to or from work. I have been among them, and have seen lots of conversations between bus-riders, and indeed made the acquaintance of several commuters.

So this thread of waving and communicating seems to have many reasons to vary from one situation to another. I had a long ride two days ago, meeting many bikers, and almost all of us waved, some above the handlebar and some below (I wave above it).

It's not likely I will ride in Oz, but if I do, I will wave with my left hand, because my right hand is reserved for two purposes, gas and beer. It had a third use long ago, but I am happily married now. :D

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.