Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

riding streetbike compared to dirtbike...

8K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  jsonder 
#1 ·
im looking to get my first bike and have only been on a dirtbike twice, second time being today on a 250 2stroke. both times i popped a wheelie at takeoff and fell off so im starting to reconsider getting a sportbike. do sportbikes have the same manner as a dirtbike or is it a whole different feel? im pretty short for a guy at 5'7 with a 28-30" inseam so a dirtbike sits pretty high for me, but with the CBR's 30.5" seat height i feel like that i would be more in my comfort zone. id rather not have a bike take off on me due to a mistake while in traffic than a dirtbike in my yard. what should i do?

#33 ·
Typically the old Basic Rider Course was Friday night (book session), Saturday and Sunday (mostly on the bikes) at least that's what is was in AZ, 2005, when my wife took it for a refresher.

#35 ·
It is worth a cheap motel room for the weekend.

I pass a parking lot that is used for training on my way to work everyday.
Today (yesterday now) was Sunday, and there were three bikes there at 7:30 pm, in a light rain. I'm not sure if they were teacdhers getting ready for the upcoming classes, or if they were just finishing up a weekend of rainy classes.

If I was new, I wouldn't want to be taking a class in the wet.

#36 ·
i got my bike today and pretty much taught myself in the cemetery i live/work at. the used car dealership i bought it from was kind enough to ride it the mile and a half to my house so that i could piddle around with it here instead of takin off for the first time down the hwy. it took me about an hour to get the feel of the clutch, throttle, and turning but after taking a break i took off down the road and had about an hour or so ride in the country. definitely happy i made the decision to get a bike! happy times ahead for sure

#37 ·
i got my bike today and pretty much taught myself in the cemetery i live/work at. the used car dealership i bought it from was kind enough to ride it the mile and a half to my house so that i could piddle around with it here instead of takin off for the first time down the hwy. it took me about an hour to get the feel of the clutch, throttle, and turning but after taking a break i took off down the road and had about an hour or so ride in the country. definitely happy i made the decision to get a bike! happy times ahead for sure
Congrats on the new bike... living/working at a cemetery, now that's got to be a trip! You must have some stories that need telling here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.