Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

riding streetbike compared to dirtbike...

8K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  jsonder 
#1 ·
im looking to get my first bike and have only been on a dirtbike twice, second time being today on a 250 2stroke. both times i popped a wheelie at takeoff and fell off so im starting to reconsider getting a sportbike. do sportbikes have the same manner as a dirtbike or is it a whole different feel? im pretty short for a guy at 5'7 with a 28-30" inseam so a dirtbike sits pretty high for me, but with the CBR's 30.5" seat height i feel like that i would be more in my comfort zone. id rather not have a bike take off on me due to a mistake while in traffic than a dirtbike in my yard. what should i do?

#2 ·
The difference between a 250 two stroke dirt bike, and the CBR250R is like night and day... my advise is this: Before you buy any bike, find an MSF rider course in your area that offers the course as a "show up, pay your money, and learn to ride", were they provide the bikes, and everything else. Once you have your license/endorsement, look for a good used bike to learn on. Do not buy a brand new bike as your first bike. Why? Because you will be dropping it. Find a used Kawasaki Ninja 250... they can be found dirt cheap.

#3 ·
im looking to get my first bike and have only been on a dirtbike twice, second time being today on a 250 2stroke. both times i popped a wheelie at takeoff and fell off so im starting to reconsider getting a sportbike. do sportbikes have the same manner as a dirtbike or is it a whole different feel? ...
First of all, learn how to take off smoothly. You can learn that on any bike, and I suggest you get back on the dirtbike and keep practicing that until you can do it.

When you fall off, dirt is a lot softer than tarmac.

#5 ·
Riding a dirt bike is nothing like riding a sport bike much less a super sport like a 600rr. The feel, the power, the speed, the necessary body positioning, the weight, and the dangers are different.

There are similarities of course, like the controls are in the same locations. So, if you are proficient in the clutch/throttle control, when starting off from a stopped position on a dirt bike, then some of these skills will transfer. But again, 600rr don't tolerate any mistakes.

All of the others have posted great suggestions. Get professional instruction on how to ride. Normally this will be done in a safe environment on a bike that's more forgiving. You will gain the skills and confidence to then continue the learning process out in the real world. The learning never stops.

#6 ·
I was hoping to hear it was completely different worlds. I live in ky and already haves permit. My bud who let me ride it just said take it easy, and he's new to them too. We both had to stand on a stool to be able to kick start it so that just made it a little more discouraging. I've been keeping an eye out for used 250s and haven't had any luck. I've found one used 2012 250 ninja with less than 300 miles for $3700 at a dealer bit it was already sold.

#8 ·
I was hoping to hear it was completely different worlds.
Yeah, the power delivery on the CBR250R is kind of soft, warm, and fuzzy compared to that of a two stroke off road bike, which is often described as nothing short of violent. Now imagine what something like a CRF450R is like in terms of power delivery. :eek:

Another option would be to start off with a clean, used Dual Sport as a first bike. I see CRF230L's, XR250L's, and the like come up for sale on CL every now and then for not a lot of money. If you buy them right, you can usually ride them for a year or two, and get almost all of your money back out of these bikes. Insurance is cheap on a Dual Sport too.

#9 ·
the problem is that where i live all the bikes are either harleys/cruisers/etc or 600cc+ sport bikes. ive seen 3 dual purpose bikes around town and they were BMW and ducati. the options really suck around here, not to mention the fact that people want close to new pricing on most of the used bikes, especially the 250s.

#11 ·
Aufitt, funny you should post that. I was out on a GSXR1000 just the other day. What an awesome bike but it can still scare the crap out of me. Great bike for burning around out of town but I still prefer my 250 in town.

Reactions: Aufitt
#13 ·
Riding on dirt first is a great way to start motorcycling. You can fall off as much as you want, and not be injured anywhere near as much as you would be on the road. It's a whole new ballgame on the road though. If you haven't had any training, I strongly advise you to get some. Learn all the rules of the road BEFORE you venture out on it. Make yourself visible, and wear protection, and most important of all, ENJOY! ;)

#14 ·
250 2stroke.
That's a gnarly two-stroke from what I understand. 250 sportbikes are much better mannered: more torque low, less torque high, thus less power than two-strokes.

If you can't find professional instruction and you and your buddy will end up teaching yourselves, my guess is you need a smaller bike. 50-100cc dirtbikes perhaps? Read every book you can get your hands on, practice small, low-speed, difficult stuff to learn control. Weaves and fig-8s and slowraces and such.

Even if you go to class, you'll have to keep teaching yourself. MSF graduates are actually more likely to crash than people who take the road test - and I'm sure it's all because they think they know it all.

#15 ·
I have a 28-inch inseam and have ridden (and sold again because of the seat height) 35-inch seat height dual sport bikes. You need a lower seat to be comfortable riding the bike in traffic.

Keep looking for a used Ninja 250 or any of the 200-223 cc dual sports by Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda.

And yes, you ride the bikes differently. My street bike is one of my earlier dirt bikes and I sometimes forget and lean the bike (rather than myself) in a tight turn on pavement. That's a very bad idea!

#17 ·
Whereabouts in Kentucky do you live? I live in Cincinnati and am aware of at least 2 Honda dealers in KY (Richmond and Maysville) because they're run by the same group as my local Honda dealer. I've been calling them looking for a tri-color CBR500R. I know my dealer has a fair number of used dual-sports and dirt bikes, and a few older model cbr250's, so I'd expect those dealers probably would too, and if not, they can swap bikes for you probably.

I wouldnt worry about busting a wheelie on a stock 250, since it actually takes a largely concentrated effort to do that, but with any new bike you should take at least 15-30 minutes to just practice clutch control until your muscle memory knows where the friction zone is. That's arguably the most important fundamental skill of riding

#22 ·
Years ago when I first decided to start riding motorcycles I bought a Kawasaki ninja 250. My buddy was starting out also and decided to buy a CBR 1000rr. We both rode dirt bikes our whole lives and were pretty good at it. I learned a lot on my little ninja and drove it for several years. My buddy only had the CBR for about three months. He was squiding around and took a turn to fast. He was ok, but the bike was a total loss. To my knowledge, he has never ridden another motorcycle since. I have owned several different bigger bikes, but last year I bought the CBR 250 and I love it. Great beginner bike and it is very forgiving. Take the plunge into the world of motorcycles, just don't start on a track bike :)

#23 ·
thanks! the more good stories a hear about the 250 the more comfortable i feel buying one. friends think im stupid for starting on a 250 but i feel its for the best, especially for someone who didnt grow up on or around 2 wheels. id rather not have an incident like your friends and be pushed away from riding.

my biggest struggles are going to be taking off smoothly and turning right. hopefully i can get into a bike this summer so i can ride, but its pretty hard with all of my expenses getting ready to move into a house and everything. if not, next spring will do lol

#24 · (Edited)
With all the endless dirt trails you have available to ride around Owensboro, you should give a 2nd thought to a dual sport bike instead of a CBR250. 2013 CRF250-L comes to mind. Same EFI motor & trans as the CBR.
You can explore all the river roads & trails along the river, you can get off the main road and go deep into the woods, and get back on asphalt anytime you want to w/ a d/s. Can't do that w/ a CBR.

And once you have the 250L, down the road, you can get a set of supermoto wheels to turn the d/s into a s/m bike that'll easily outhandle a CBR250 in the twisties. :D

#26 ·
The 250 is nothing like a dirtbike other than control position. I just picked up a YZ450F a few weeks back and its a totally different animal. Dont let what happens on a dirtbike hinder you from getting on the street. Just learn it before you hit the streets. The 250 isn't going to be crazy fast like a 600cc bike or torque like a dirtbike, its a good learning bike for sure and i am not disappointed with the leasons learned on it at all.

#27 ·
ive finally found a bike and am putting a deposit on it today so they can hold it for a couple weeks. i had to switch insurance companies bc of the high premium on my truck and it was almost cut in half, so i have to wait for the refund from my old insurance before i can pay for bike insurance. but sad to say, its not a sport bike. i found a nice used harley davidson sportster 883 custom for $5000. harleys are a lot easier to come by in my area and its more suitable for my height and comfort level so i figured it be the best. cant wait to ride

#28 ·
Good for you. Enjoy the new-to-you bike.

And, if you haven't taken a rider safety/training course, I'd strongly advise doing so. I learned before they had them, and do not recommend going that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.