Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Riding this bike is harder than I thought!

18K views 107 replies 43 participants last post by  PAUL the MOTORCYCLIST 
#1 ·
CBR250R ABS, Red

My riding experience: MSF course 2 years ago.

Physicality: 5'5", 28"-29" inseam, 135-140 lbs. Tip-toeing on both feet.

Bought this bike today brand new, 0 miles for $5400 OTD. The plan was to slowly start riding in the neighborhood, but it was too intimidating, as I was having trouble starting from a stop (it's been 2 years). Moved the bike back to the side of the house to get some practice.

There was just enough room to go 4mph, but my focus point was trying to get a smooth lift off. I tend to wobble left and right when I get my feet off the ground. I know speed (not enough throttle?) and my body position is a big factor, as my wrist is hurting right now. Also trying to get the clutch and throttle control working in sync.

This was in 100 degree weather, mind you, so I probably got in only 1.5 hours of practice.

Any other tips you guys have besides more practice? Going to a parking lot, instead of practicing by the side of the house?

See less See more
#2 ·
Take MSF again if you don't remember the drills and need hands on training. Otherwise, practice the drills at an empty lot, using the training booklet that came with the bike as a guide. Two years is a long time to not be riding. Hell, I go back to the parking lot and do PLP if I haven't ridden for more than 2 weeks.

#4 ·
While taking the MSF course again is nice if you have the money, I think the parking lot idea may be better if you have one close (price wise).

Starting off is kind of tricky, but don't be afraid to 'walk' the bike a little with your feet before picking them up completely. Even if you have to wait until the clutch is all the way out (probably should only try this if you don't use the throttle).

1. Don't look at the speedometer/tachometer, look where you are going and 'feel' the bike and the RPMs.
2. Let off the clutch slowly (at your weight you really don't *need* to use the throttle unless you are starting on a hill or trying to get a quicker take off). I'm 225lbs and can start off on level ground without using the throttle.
3. Once you are comfortable using just the clutch and the 'friction zone' (MSF term) to start moving, try to hold the throttle steady at 2 or 3k RPMs and let out the clutch slowly and start that way. Really the main take away is the clutch has just as much to do with your speed as the RPMs. You can go 5mph at 10k RPMs if you learn to use the clutch well.

Ride the clutch a little to get going and to shift, it's not a car your primary concern is smooth and controlled starts/shifts - speed comes with time ;)

Good luck! =)

#5 ·
Book lessons with a good riding instructor in your area.
You'll need them to get your licence anyway.

Its cheaper than injuries, fairings and damage.

Reactions: Top
#6 · (Edited)
If you feel you have forgotten a fair amount of what was taught 2 years ago in the MSF course, I would take it again immediately.

I think you need one-on-one direction from a trained instructor, not just time by yourself in a parking lot. You sound too unsure right now to safely venture out too far, so be careful.

You need to have confidence in your skills, while still knowing your limitations, to ride safely.

#7 · (Edited)
Like Adurand said, clutch is king. Just like learning how to drive standard in a car, sit there and let the clutch out as slow as you can until you feel it start to grab. When it does start, you should be able to feel touch of vibration and the rpms may start to drop a touch. Just let the clutch out until you hit that first point where you can feel it start to grab, and play with that for a while.

After you have that down, play with throttle control a bit. Practice reving the bike up to exactly 3k or so, without going over. You can practice going up to some other rpms as well. Be able to do it both smooth and also fast if needed.

Now it's time to put them both together. Practice slowly and smoothly letting out the clutch while rolling on the gas a touch, and BAM!! You'll be set.

As far as the unstable takeoffs, trust the bike. If you think you're going to fall over, whenever anything happens that doesn't feel quite right you'll try and compensate for it, and most likely too much. Let the bike just go, it wants to stay upright while moving just as much as you.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: uchavda
#8 ·
Yes, I think you should have complete control of throttle, clutch, gears and brakes before you even think about going on a public highway. You'll have enough on your plate with everything else going on around you to even think about what you're doing to control the bike. Training is the way to go. We all had to learn once.

#9 ·
Agree with retaking the MSF. A plus will be refreshing your previously learned skills on THEIR bikes, not your brand new one in which I think, the worry of dropping your shiney beautiful bike is upmost in your mind. Then go practice in a lot.

#11 ·
Any other tips you guys have besides more practice??
Buy a scooter.;)
I currently have three scooters and two motorcycles and owned lots of scooters and motorcycles in the past. Sometimes I ask myself why I even bother with the motorcycles any more. Scooters are easier to ride, more comfortable ( not always) have lots of storage and are very relaxing. These days you can buy a powerful scooter that will perform in the real world as well as most motorcycles.

I actually still enjoy motorcycles but I could never be comfortable on a new CBR250 and a bike you are not comfortable on is hard to ride. The seating and ergoes are for young kids who don't mind bending over at the hip in order look the part of a sport racer.:D

Seriously, the CBR is designed to mimic the look of a sport bike in order to attract young first time buyers. I get it. It looks cool but this is not the bike you want if you are looking for a comfortable easy to ride small commuter. I could see first time riders being turned off by how uncomfortable the CBR is.

The upcoming Honda street/trail 250 using the CBR's engine looks like it would make a better commuter although the seat height is uncharacteristically high for Honda.

Just keep practicing. You'll get better. I find that, for me, It is much easier and more relaxing to ride a more upright bike. The ninja 650r is a nice upright bike and I find it easier to ride than even my 07 ninja 250 which is more upright than the CBR.

#18 ·
I actually still enjoy motorcycles but I could never be comfortable on a new CBR250 and a bike you are not comfortable on is hard to ride. The seating and ergoes are for young kids who don't mind bending over at the hip in order look the part of a sport racer.:D

Seriously, the CBR is designed to mimic the look of a sport bike in order to attract young first time buyers. I get it. It looks cool but this is not the bike you want if you are looking for a comfortable easy to ride small commuter. I could see first time riders being turned off by how uncomfortable the CBR is.
I must be aging in reverse -- no complaints, though! I traded a comfortable and relatively powerful Honda FSC600 Silver Wing for my CBR250R. However, I'll admit your post is generally correct; the average age of Silver Wing riders is quite a bit higher than CBR250R riders. You are exactly right there are scooters out there that would surprise more than a few motorcycle riders with their performance.

#12 ·
While an automatic scooter is easier to ride, the two problems of the OP are easily overcome with a little practice. Killing the engine on startup just needs a few more revs. The wobbly takeoff is from not looking far enough down the road.

Step one: set 3000 rpm and listen to the sound it makes.
Step two: look at least two blocks down the road.
Step three: ease the clutch out while maintaing that engine sound by adding throttle.
Repeat until smooth.

#14 ·
Even better than just taking MSF BRC again (or going to ARC, which is *NOT* a good idea for someone who doesn't have a good handle on the basics) is to book parking lot practice with MSF. Many locations do this for folks who already passed BRC... you get to go out and spend more range time with an instructor.

As for your wrist getting sore... RELAX YOUR GRIP

Throttle is rule #1. If you cannot control the throttle, none of the rest matters.

Practice practice practice. Relax your grip. You are not to EVER be "holding on" with your hands. This makes your "wobble" worse.

Here's my vids about relaxing the grip.

#16 ·
As for your wrist getting sore... RELAX YOUR GRIP
You and your darn grip Dj; I swear you say that in almost every post lol. I have been thinking about that a lot as I ride around though. I am quite amazed at how much it does help.

Another reason your wrists may be sore is that you're putting too much weight on the handlebars. You don't need to put any of your weight onto them to control the bike. I would bet if you sat a little straighter up (putting more of your weight over the seat and pegs) and "relax your grip," you'll be good to go in that department.

Reactions: av911
#15 ·
I am just about the same height as you, and was only able tip toe the bike at first. Buy really good motorcycle riding boots. It really helped me feel secure on the ground (With only toes) until I broke the bike in more (I can now almost flat foot it with just slightly leaning it to one side)

Once you have good boots practice getting used to the weight of the bike by leaning it back and forth between your legs while standing. This will help you get used to the weight of the bike, and train your legs for the added weight. (This is from the MSF course)

You wont feel as wobbly if you condition your body to recognize the bikes weight and feel.

NOW I would move on to finding the 'friction zone' of the clutch. You do not need throttle for this. Plant yourself as heavily on the bike with your feet down. SLOWLY release the clutch until it starts to grab and move forward, but pull the clutch back in before it goes anywhere. Then push yourself backwards with your toes, and repeat. The goal is to stay in the same spot and rock back and forth. Do that a bunch of times before adding the throttle into the equation.

Now you can start to let the bike move forward. Start with the friction zone but let the clutch catch, and literally WALK the bike forward (No throttle needed) Do not pick up your feet until or unless you feel comfortable.

Now if you start going to fast DO NOT GRAB THE FRONT BRAKE!! DONT panic, just slowly apply pressure to the front brake to stop. If you grab it hard, it will throw you off balance and you may fall.

You and the bike just have to get to know eachother, it will come with time and practice. I am also really new to riding, and had taken the MSF course a week before getting my license and bike, so a lot of this 'newbie' stuff is still fresh in my mind. I hope this helps!! =)

And if all else fails, take the MSF course again! :)

#17 ·
^Don't even need to put weight on the pegs really. Support the body with core muscles and squeeze the tank with knees and thighs. This helps with "becoming one with the bike". One just has to watch experienced riders stay on an upright bike without touching the bars. Relaxing the arms is HUGE.....relaxed arms do not transfer negative energy to the grips and thus steering.

#20 ·
If you can, retake the safety course. If not, try to connect with someone with a lot (multiple years) of in traffic riding. I'd stop practicing on your own, if you don't find yourself improving, learning comes by repetition, and works both for good and for evil, if you will. If you keep practicing bad maneuvers, they will harden themselves into bad habits. Habits are harder to break, just ask someone that quit smoking, or drinking alcohol.
Just my bit of advice, I've been riding 50+ years and still remember having to unlearn things I'd learned before and found a "better" way.

Doc

#21 ·
CBR250R ABS, Red

... The plan was to slowly start riding in the neighborhood, but it was too intimidating, as I was having trouble starting from a stop (it's been 2 years). Moved the bike back to the side of the house to get some practice.
Okay here's my question, do you have your motorcycle endorsement? If not then you should not be on the streets at all, not even in a parking lot. Re-take the MSF basic course until you feel comfortable riding the bike.

If you have the endorsement then by all means practice in a parking lot.

I completed the MSF course a few weeks ago and got my endorsement the next day. I had thought about practicing in the parking lot but I ended up on the streets pretty quick. For me controlling the bike came naturally. Perhaps that is one thing that comes with age.

But I still need lots of practice and the expressway still is too intimidating, although I have got up to 60 mph on the freeway frontage roads. But the key is practice, practice, practice.

#22 ·
One thing i didnt see mentioned is the adjustment on the rear shock preload. The bike comes with the preload on the second softest setting , if you adjust it to the softest setting it will bring the back down a little and possibly help you get better contact with the ground .

On another note i was out with my wife last night who has never ridden a bike before . We progressed to coasting down the slight hill infront of our house . What i found was consistent riding at slow speed ie 4mph isnt a great spot for a new rider to learn . Find a little more space so you increase this speed a little and it will help you get more confidence and the slow speed handling will come

#24 ·
CBR250R ABS, Red

Bought this bike today brand new, 0 miles for $5400 OTD. The plan was to slowly start riding in the neighborhood, but it was too intimidating, as I was having trouble starting from a stop (it's been 2 years). Moved the bike back to the side of the house to get some practice.

There was just enough room to go 4mph, but my focus point was trying to get a smooth lift off. I tend to wobble left and right when I get my feet off the ground. I know speed (not enough throttle?) and my body position is a big factor, as my wrist is hurting right now. Also trying to get the clutch and throttle control working in sync.

This was in 100 degree weather, mind you, so I probably got in only 1.5 hours of practice.

Any other tips you guys have besides more practice? Going to a parking lot, instead of practicing by the side of the house?
Straddle the bike with the motor off and practice pushing yourself around. Then find the "friction zone" by doing the simple movements similar to those taken in the MSF course. Next, build some confidence. If you are telling yourself that you CAN'T do it, then you simply will never be able. Finally, head and eyes UP! Look where you want the bike to go and you shall indeed, go.

#25 ·
CBR250R ABS, Red

Strengthen that wrist because you will need it. Once I started riding again, my wrist ached for nearly a week. Ever since, I am good to go.

#26 · (Edited)
Well, I would take the MSF class and ask if you can use your bike.

As a fellow novice, I can relate to your anxiety. ANY bike is going to be intimidating at first, regardless of how large or small. People who have been riding all their life or started young probably can't relate to this.

The thing that always blew my mind a bit is the fact that a complete greenhorn like me, who has never ridden a bike prior to taking the MSF course, can take the course, pass a basic skills test after riding for two days in a small parking lot, then be granted a license endorsement allowing me to ride anywhere on public streets. Many people--I would assume especially young--would say yahooo, time to hit the roads. My advice is don't do this.

If you are anything like me, you will find that after taking the class and getting your own bike, it is kind of like starting from scratch again. It is likely that the bike will feel and ride different than the one you used in class. The clutch will feel different, the brakes as well. You will probably feel a bit aprehensive. Do what I am doing and others are as well. Find a large school parking lot and go there when it isnt crowded. Learn how the bike handles at slow speeds and how to start and stop. I kept practicing starting the CBR from a stop, shifting into second, shifting down, then stopping. I did this until I was comfortable and could do it easily. I practiced panic stops and then stops in corners where I would go upright mid turn and brake. I am faily confident doing that now and continue to practice when I have the time. I also practice swerving in the lot using pop cans. It is all starting to click and the intimidation factors slowly subsides once you realize you can handle the bike and it isnt just taking you for a ride.

Two weeks ago, I started venturing out on side streets close to my home. They are largely empty most of the time during the day. I just drove around turning onto streets and this boosted my confidence in starting and stopping and turning from stops, etc..The easy part is riding in a straight line.

Last week, I went onto a two lane blvd with a modest amount of traffic and the speed limit is 35MPH. Certainly not high speed but an incremental increase. I road up and down the blvd in a two mile stretch, turning off to side streets, navigating around to get back on, and repeating. Did this for about an hour and it boosted my confidence.

So, I would take it easy, don't feel like you just have to go out and hit the roads. Start small, take some lesson if you can. Do not go on the streets ntil you are comfortable. Don't force yourself to do it if you are not ready and can start, stop, swerve etc with a degree of confidence. The last thing you want to do is become intimidated by traffic while you are still getting the hang of handling the controls.

There is no rule you have to start riding all over the streets just because you got a new bike. Work at your own pace. I can relate to your anxieties but they will be overcome with practice in controlled areas and slow progression. Your confidence increases. When I started riding in the lot, it was a bit intimidating. Then when I got out on the side streets there was some anxiety. Now the side streets are no longer intimidating. My next goal is to start riding a few modest streets with more traffic to slowly acclimate myself to having more vehicles around me.

#27 ·
You are not permitted to bring your bike unless it is the advanced course.

#28 ·
I agree with MEPS... I am still astonished that I was granted a license without ever once having ridden on the streets. I guess they assume that people will have the common sense to start slow and build confidence. But I'm sure when I was younger I would have immediately headed out to the expressway.

If you take is slow and practice, practice, practice you will be fine.

#29 ·
It's not like we are driving a car where you can carry a passenger and not make driving any harder so that you can have someone along to teach you.

You have to start somewhere. I think going to a MSF course and getting on a bike in a safe environment and passing a riding test to get your license makes sense. Even if you don't go on the streets. Before msf classes were required for license here, you passed a written test and had a permit to learn on the streets then took a riding test for your license. Also in the MSF class they tell you that you need to take it slow and practice your skills before you're ready for the road.

But like I said before, it's a bike, once you can pass and learn basic riding skills from a msf course you gotta go and put the time in and learn on your own pace, preferably in a parking lot then ease into the streets in as little traffic as possible first. I think the thing about really learning on a bike is you have to go and do most of the practice on your own and it's also about judgment. And being responsible enough to know your limits and always try to improve and learn from your mistakes.

#48 ·
I can't say I agree. Scooters scare me.

I think you are fine starting on a small, light, motorcycle. The CBR is a good choice for learning - adequate acceleration, good brakes, full-size wheels, good stability - many things most scooters lack.

We're not talking full-on 600cc sport bikes here. For most new riders, the CBR is pretty manageable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.