My daughter joined the "Real Riders" Club - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

9Likes
  • 2 Post By gdcpony
  • 2 Post By Stichill
  • 2 Post By MotoMike
  • 1 Post By TrueFaith
  • 1 Post By live_to_ride
  • 1 Post By cbrlocal

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My daughter joined the "Real Riders" Club

So it was her second ride of the year. Nothing fancy or exciting, just a quick run to Walmart to pick up some oil for vehicle maintenance. We went down the state highways on our way to town and were making a ride of it. I was in front on my DL650 and she trailed on her (my old) CBR250R. The turns were going smooth and she was taking to it like a fish to water.

From my view in front she was exiting a smooth turn behind me and just went straight. No other explanation, she went straight off the road and I watched her go down and the bike slide into a pole. I turned around in a panic, and a couple other bikers that were trailing almost beat me there. She was getting up and shaking it off and I was trying to run a visual check to see anything not moving right since she was already up. She assured us all that her pride was the only thing injured, but I still checked her neck and eyes before getting her out of her gear. Her elbow has some scrapes and a cut, and a knee too. Nothing bad.

The bike? Well, it lost all the plastics on the shift side, but was still functional. I gave it a test ride and everything works. In fact she insisted on riding it home to a VERY upset mom. You can imagine how that went. Now to gauge the costs and get her bike back together. Oh and hang the fairing on the garage wall! My daughter insisted that she had graduated from the riders that are waiting to go down to the "have been down" club with me. Now, will she get a stitch in her elbow and join that club (never had stitches before either)?

Wear your gear out there! If she had not been, I doubt this would have the tone it does.

Edit: As I talk through with her, it has become obvious what happened. She became "target locked" on the pole after her rear skipped a little on a tar snake. She remembers staring at the pole and thinking, "Don't hit it". I let her know that anytime you have the urge to look where you don't want to go, resist and look where you do. The bike will follow your eyes.
shisoshin and Stichill like this.

2012 CBR250R - 70mpg (the fun bike)
2009 XV250 - 90mpg (the training bike)
2002 FZ1 - 45mpg (the dragon)
2013 DL650 - 55mpg (the work horse)

Last edited by gdcpony; 04-09-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Would these be a good replacement? My daughter is anxious to get teh bike back up, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of poor fitting parts. No I can't afford the factory pieces.

Fairings Honda CBR250R HRC White Red Blue Racing (2011-2013) - Mad Hornets

post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Wow, glad she came out of it without serious injury! Whew!

I was thinking "target fixation." I clearly remember the first time it happened to me. I was going downhill on a turn to the left. On the right side of the road was a guard rail that protected vehicles from a steep, wooded embankment to a creek below. What "fixated" me was that the asphalt was very built up, so there was a "channel" between the shoulder and the guardrail. If the bike's wheels dropped into there...no escape.

I remember seeing all of this in an instant and then realizing that what I feared would happen was starting to happen. I screamed in my head to myself "NO!" and forced myself to look through the turn. I made it through safely but had to stop ahead and gather myself back together.
shisoshin and gdcpony like this.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And despite my best effort to close the elbow cut, she is on her way for a stitch or two in it. The wifey is about as happy as a cat in a burlap sack, but my daughter is of all things excited! My family is crazy.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcpony View Post
Would these be a good replacement? My daughter is anxious to get teh bike back up, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of poor fitting parts. No I can't afford the factory pieces.

Fairings Honda CBR250R HRC White Red Blue Racing (2011-2013) - Mad Hornets
Did you notice that they have that fairing kit priced at $560? And on top of that those parts are not painted the correct color to match your bike... they are for a 2012 Tri-Color version

OEM Honda fairing and cowl parts for CBR250R's are not very expensive, certainly nowhere near the crazy price of the aftermarket parts kit from 'Mad Hornets'... check out ref# 7 & 8 here: Honda Motorcycle Parts 2012 CBR250R AC MIDDLE COWL + UNDER COWL Diagram

You're looking at less than $100 for the two middle cowl pieces, which will come painted in the correct Silver color for your bike.
shisoshin and Stichill like this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 PM

Might also be a good idea to review countersteering with your daughter and insure she understands the concept.

shisoshin likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-10-2017, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Did you notice that they have that fairing kit priced at $560? And on top of that those parts are not painted the correct color to match your bike... they are for a 2012 Tri-Color version

OEM Honda fairing and cowl parts for CBR250R's are not very expensive, certainly nowhere near the crazy price of the aftermarket parts kit from 'Mad Hornets'... check out ref# 7 & 8 here: Honda Motorcycle Parts 2012 CBR250R AC MIDDLE COWL + UNDER COWL Diagram

You're looking at less than $100 for the two middle cowl pieces, which will come painted in the correct Silver color for your bike.
Thanks. For some reason the original link (which has conveniently disappeared) i thought showed the correct color and $320 for a price tag. I will make a list and price it from your link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Might also be a good idea to review countersteering with your daughter and insure she understands the concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUWViatY_LA
Why she messed up this time probably has little to do with her steering and more to do with an SR. She usually hangs with me in corners with me on my FZ. I generally slow her down as she will take the bike to the pegs if I don't. She has been on this bike since I bought it new in 2013 and calls it her friend. Way to treat your friend right?

At the same time, after this, I will be more focused on her head as she corners to make sure she is looking where she wants to go. Also I will be more cautious as I lead her next time. I have been riding all winter, she has not. Probably my largest mistake is thinking she could just hop on and go like she had not been pretty much out of the saddle for 4 months.

We will ride again tomorrow and I will make sure to be slow with her. Se acts like nothing happened, but I remember my first and I was extremely wary (too wary) about going around a corner my next time out.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2017, 06:20 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
Sorry to hear about your daughter and glad to hear she's ok and ready to ride again. Just a wee nite. Look over the bike closely, ie, the bars and forks. I know someone who went down at a slow rate of speed and not only the bars slightly out of centre but one fork was cracked. Considering your daughter struck the pole it wld be a good idea to check these parts out. Doesn't always take a lot of force to crack a fork.

Cheers,
LTR
shisoshin likes this.

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #9 of 9 Old 04-10-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUWViatY_LA
That guy's problem was more so that he grabbed a fistfull of front brake as soon as he saw his path drifting in front of the truck instead of counter steering more. Gave him a speed wobble he couldn't correct for and he lost steering ability.

She'll learn; particularly after this accident. It's survival instinct to look directly at what's potentially going to cause us harm. Everything on a motorcycle has to be mentally prepared for and engrained into muscle memory, because your fight-or-flight response does not apply correctly instinctively.
TrueFaith likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page