Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

The RED light and texting.

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  RainbowDashWins 
#1 · (Edited)
If someone feels this would be better in another forum, please feel free to have it moved.

On my way to work 2 days ago I had a pick-up truck driving next to me and to my right on a six lane divided state highway. I was in the far left lane, he was in the center lane and traffic was very very light. He was using me as a speed indicator while he was texting.:mad: If I speed up a little, so would he. If I slowed down, so would he. Anyway, we came to a minor traffic light that is only triggered by waiting cross traffic and caught it very early yellow. We both came to a stop before the light even turned red.

Now I did not want anyone to get hurt so I waited until the intersection was clear and there was no approaching traffic before trying this.

As soon as the intersection was clear, I took off. I went about 6-8 feet and hit the brakes and stopped. My "new friend" in the pick-up truck however was relying on me to know what was going on, and was about halfway thru the intersection before he realized the light was still red.:eek: He hit the brakes hard and stopped. Now if looks could kill, I would be dead three times over. Even with his windows closed and my helmet on, I could hear the profanities.

I got to work in such a good mood, my co-workers must have though I was high.:D

Hope you enjoyed my little story, and remember if you are gong to try this, don't hurt anyone except their pride.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well played sir! I can't stand people trying to drive on autopilot whatever the circumstances. The sad part is, I don't think this particular moron will get the point until he actually gets into an accident and at that, only if he gets hit by someone texting.

#16 ·
Hey, I didn't know you ever got down to LA-think I passed this guy today.:D

I trust no one here to keep their eyes up-so I split position between cars at lights so they can rear end the cage in front of them not me. Hand on throttle assuming the worst. Unfortunately had to get out of the way more than once...****ing phones.

#5 ·
Haha I did this one time, but I was in the cage at the time. I goosed it a bit at a light and the guy next to me who wasn't paying attention took off. My buddies and I got a good laugh out of it.

Reactions: Busted4aWheelie
#6 ·
I got hit from behind on my ninja 250 by an idiot texting at the red light. The lane next to us moved, the truck in front of me moved, and I was about to move when the texting idiot behind me took his foot off the brake and was still finishing a text when he tapped into me hard enough to bend the license plate and re-injure my back. It seems in the excitement of his phone, he forgot there was a motorcycle between him and the truck.

About a year earlier, I got hit from behind in my car. 2 cars behind me ran into the car behind me at about 55 mph. We were both stopped... as were 2 cars in front of me waiting to turn left. The bitch blamed it on her kid but I know she was texting or surfing or whatever because the whole time from when she was hit til her car was towed away, nobody not even the cops could get her off the smartphone for more than 10 seconds. She cared more about that ******************** phone than whether the kid was alright.

If it were legal, I would volunteer to shoot all texting drivers. Drunk drivers too. Sign me up. Consider it prophyllaxis like a flu shot for society.

#10 ·
I got hit from behind on my ninja 250 by an idiot texting at the red light. The lane next to us moved, the truck in front of me moved, and I was about to move when the texting idiot behind me took his foot off the brake and was still finishing a text when he tapped into me hard enough to bend the license plate and re-injure my back. It seems in the excitement of his phone, he forgot there was a motorcycle between him and the truck.
did you have an opportunity to filter the traffic? filtering traffic at red lights and using the bicycle lanes we have here in Australia gets you out of the way of traffic and virtually avoids all rear-end collisions at red lights. I'm assuming it's probably not legal where you are but that's unfortunate to happen to you. I've always worried about being rear ended, especially when traffic is moving one minute, and then suddenly someone stops quickly in front; forcing everyone to hit the brakes, while i sit there relying on the person behind to not hit me. Stay safe! :cool:

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about that and I hope you are back to 100%. I always keep an eye out behind me until the the vehicle directly behind has stopped. Just shows though that even that is not a guarantee you'll be OK.

I have zero tolerance for texting while driving. I don't get it, and I guess that probably means I'm becoming an old fart (34 BTW). The benefit of texting is that you don't have to reply right away, yet more and more people treat it like a phone conversation and get all butt-hurt if you don't reply immediately. It's not like you are having a deep conversation via text anyway.

#17 ·
I have zero tolerance for texting while driving. I don't get it, and I guess that probably means I'm becoming an old fart (34 BTW).
I am only 18 and I REFUSE to use my phone while riding or driving. Even if it is a call. I will have my girlfriend pick it up or call them back when I get to my destination.

#13 ·
on 'filtering' as one way of avoiding the target area for rear-enders,
i always ease thru to the front of the line when theres enough space..

sometimes two boxes have stopped close together, closing the filter,
so i might also go around them in the space created the other side..
this to me is a sensible safety precaution and best option for
riding within clear space, ahead of traffic, rather than sandwiched
between low skill partly brain dead unpredictable distracted drivers..

i filter when they are stopped, in their rows of boxes,
waiting for the lights to change.. watch opposite traffic
and lights as they change from red to orange to green
thus black beauty always gets away first, due to timing
plus hand clutch and cbr250 adequate 1st gear/torque..

we are protected from rear enders by cars both sides..
this is a matter of safety, not road regs,
which are evolving anyway, towards,
allowing fintering, which reduces traffic
to road vehicle footprint plus shares out
the clear space more efficiently..

also separating the single track vehicles
from the tin boxes, buses and trucks etc,
at least after/between intersections/traffic lights..

#14 ·
I usually dont filter traffic. Filtering is a good way to piss off cagers and I'm pretty sure it's not legal here. If you want the same respect as a car driver, you should follow the same rules. The only time I ever filtered was when a car pulled between me and another bike and I filtered so I could talk to him at the light. It sort of also sent the message of... if you're going to disrespect my safety zone, you can kiss your 1 car length advantage goodbye at the next light.

#15 ·
I usually dont filter traffic. Filtering is a good way to piss off cagers and I'm pretty sure it's not legal here.
I wish there were a way to make cagers aware that filtering is to EVERYONE'S advantage 'cause it means that much more room for traffic during the stop and after the motorcycles and scooters have zoomed away when the lights have changed.

If you want the same respect as a car driver, you should follow the same rules. The only time I ever filtered was when a car pulled between me and another bike and I filtered so I could talk to him at the light. It sort of also sent the message of... if you're going to disrespect my safety zone, you can kiss your 1 car length advantage goodbye at the next light.
Wow. That sounds like a really good way to piss off a car driver and lose his respect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.