Newbie questions - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Question Newbie questions

Hello

I tried to search for the answeres, but often the system refused me for too common search terms or just didn't find the right information, so I decided to try my luck with making a new thread.

The CBR250r just recently caught my attention. I was looking for a commuter bike with ABS, and this was the closest I could find.

A few questions about the bike that I would like to find answeres for:
- is the bike too small for me with my 183 cm height? For comparison, I am riding the CBF250 now, it fits me nicely.
- how does the ABS perform in the corners? Is it "newbie safe" or will the bike still crash if someone tries to brake hard in a big corner?
- how reliable are they? Any model specific issues that could arise from daily use and I should be aware of?
- since release, was the model updated for every year? I would like to know if there is any diffrence between a 2011, 2012 and 2013 model apart from painting.
- if buying a used one, is there something I should pay attention to, specific to this motorcycle?
- would I look ridiculous riding it in high visibility jacket with a top case on the back?
András L is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jsonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern Arizona, USA
Posts: 857
Thanks: 219
Thanked 260 Times in 183 Posts
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by András L View Post
Hello

I tried to search for the answeres, but often the system refused me for too common search terms or just didn't find the right information, so I decided to try my luck with making a new thread.

The CBR250r just recently caught my attention. I was looking for a commuter bike with ABS, and this was the closest I could find.


- how does the ABS perform in the corners? Is it "newbie safe" or will the bike still crash if someone tries to brake hard in a big corner?

- since release, was the model updated for every year? I would like to know if there is any diffrence between a 2011, 2012 and 2013 model apart from painting.

- would I look ridiculous riding it in high visibility jacket with a top case on the back?
Are you talking about braking hard while leaning in a corner? A little trail braking is about all that you can safely do once you are leaning. I don't think ABS can keep you from screwing up if you brake really hard while leaning. It might let you lowside rather than highside. You need input from the racers.

Paint is it, at least officially.

High viz gear is never ridiculous in traffic.

Just my 2 cents....
__________________
John '14CB500XA, '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
jsonder is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
pooder7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 474
Thanks: 165
Thanked 198 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by András L View Post
A few questions about the bike that I would like to find answeres for:
- is the bike too small for me with my 183 cm height? For comparison, I am riding the CBF250 now, it fits me nicely.
- how does the ABS perform in the corners? Is it "newbie safe" or will the bike still crash if someone tries to brake hard in a big corner?
- how reliable are they? Any model specific issues that could arise from daily use and I should be aware of?
- since release, was the model updated for every year? I would like to know if there is any diffrence between a 2011, 2012 and 2013 model apart from painting.
- if buying a used one, is there something I should pay attention to, specific to this motorcycle?
- would I look ridiculous riding it in high visibility jacket with a top case on the back?
-I'm 190 cm tall and my CBR250R fits me nicely.

-ABS makes it less likely that overbraking will cause a crash. If you overbrake on a corner, you can still crash with ABS. Avoid braking on a corner.

-It's a Honda. It's reliable.

-The different model years are basically unchanged.

-Pay attention to anything you'd look at for any used vehicle.

-I ride in a high visibility jacket with a top case; I might look ridiculous . . . but my visibility is worth it.

Glad I could help, and welcome to the fray!
__________________
"What do YOU care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

Last edited by pooder7; 01-03-2013 at 09:21 PM.
pooder7 is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joeboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Culburra beach, nsw
Posts: 866
Thanks: 141
Thanked 346 Times in 206 Posts
Garage
Default

You can still stack with abs, don't get me wrong it's a great thing to have but do your braking before the turn, slow entry fast exit. I never brake mid corner it upsets the balance to much, a little rear but that's it. If you need to stop quick keep the bike up rite when you brake hard. Better still do a track day or advanced rider course, it just might save your life one day
Joeboo is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Super Moderator
 
lewiCBR250R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,453
Thanks: 1,255
Thanked 522 Times in 327 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by András L View Post
- how does the ABS perform in the corners? Is it "newbie safe" or will the bike still crash if someone tries to brake hard in a big corner?
i think you will be better off buying a bike without abs and learning the skills from there. ABS works well in a straight line. you should not be braking in corners, some more experienced riders can apply partial braking and are skilled enough to brake in some instances but why would you brake hard in a corner?

a guy in my motorcycle license test hit the brakes around a corner and failed, had to rebook and try again a month or so later!

remember ABS comes on when the wheels are about to lock, you can still crash by braking hard without ABS coming on in the corners, and if ABS comes on while braking hard on the corners you will still be lying on the tarmac with a messed up bike! for abs to come on while braking hard around a corner means you do not know how to ride a motorcycle, you should not be activating the ABS at anytime, it is there to save you if you stuff up by braking too hard, you shouldn't be activating it on a day to day basis let alone in a corner!
__________________
2012 CBR250R ABS Red/Silver

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black

Last edited by lewiCBR250R; 01-03-2013 at 10:07 PM.
lewiCBR250R is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Thanks for the information provided!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiCBR250R View Post
i think you will be better off buying a bike without abs and learning the skills from there. ABS works well in a straight line. you should not be braking in corners, some more experienced riders can apply partial braking and are skilled enough to brake in some instances but why would you brake hard in a corner?

a guy in my motorcycle license test hit the brakes around a corner and failed, had to rebook and try again a month or so later!

remember ABS comes on when the wheels are about to lock, you can still crash by braking hard without ABS coming on in the corners, and if ABS comes on while braking hard on the corners you will still be lying on the tarmac with a messed up bike! for abs to come on while braking hard around a corner means you do not know how to ride a motorcycle, you should not be activating the ABS at anytime, it is there to save you if you stuff up by braking too hard, you shouldn't be activating it on a day to day basis let alone in a corner!
I am riding one with no ABS, under normal circumstances I never brake in the corner. I only had to do it on one occasion, but even then only the rear one was used.
The question was oriented to finding out how the ABS system works in the corners, but then it is pretty much the same as not having it. Still worth every penny on the straights though.
András L is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
Super Moderator
 
lewiCBR250R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,453
Thanks: 1,255
Thanked 522 Times in 327 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by András L View Post
Thanks for the information provided!
I am riding one with no ABS, under normal circumstances I never brake in the corner. I only had to do it on one occasion, but even then only the rear one was used.
The question was oriented to finding out how the ABS system works in the corners, but then it is pretty much the same as not having it. Still worth every penny on the straights though.
ok mate, i understand! yeah it's virtually the same as not having it, and yes it can definitely be worth it on the straights when you hit the levers too hard in a sudden panic
__________________
2012 CBR250R ABS Red/Silver

- Black Adjustable Levers
- HRC Carbon Fibre Tank Pad
- Hotbodies FE Kit
- 16,000km's in 12 months

2011 GSX-R600 Black
lewiCBR250R is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hungary
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiCBR250R View Post
ok mate, i understand! yeah it's virtually the same as not having it, and yes it can definitely be worth it on the straights when you hit the levers too hard in a sudden panic
I red that it only activates above 30kph. Does anyone know the reason for this?
András L is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joeboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Culburra beach, nsw
Posts: 866
Thanks: 141
Thanked 346 Times in 206 Posts
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by András L View Post
I red that it only activates above 30kph. Does anyone know the reason for this?
In the book it's 10kph, your not going to need it at below that cause you won't lock a wheel & if you do at that speed put yr feet down. I didn't get abs on my bike but the next bike will have for sure just for the fact for $500 extra I'd like to have it & not need it rather than need it & not have it.
Joeboo is online now  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeboo For This Useful Post:
András L (01-05-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum