Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Long distance travel

80K views 92 replies 59 participants last post by  AAJCBR250R 
#1 ·
I want to know peoples experiences on long distance traveling on the CBR250. What's the longest trip you taken? Was the ride comfortable? Any issues along the way?
My longest ride was a day trip along a winding road in northern Ontario. AWESOME trail.
Next summer I'm thinking of a cross Canada trip.
Any thoughts?

#82 ·
I know of people doing thousands of miles on this bike, I can only do about 100 comfortably. Mainly because my man parts get "tangled" is the easiest way to describe the feeling. I'm assuming this is more of a user error rather than bike error. Because most people have no problem going longer.

If it wasn't for this issue than I could ride all day and this little bike would take it happily.

#84 ·
I rode Barrie, Ontario (Canada) to Courtenay, BC the last week of May. A typical day was 600 km. It was about 4,200 km total. There were two sections that were fantastic and then there were the days crossing the prairie provinces. The first fantastic section was the route north of Lake Superior. The highway curves through the hills, rises and falls a lot. Lake Superior was still partially frozen at the end of May so it was cool-ish when near the water.

The second section was the stretch through southern British Columbia, which was like North of Superior on steroids, including a couple of mountain passes up to 5,000 feet. The 250 doesn't like altitude and was gasping at full throttle trying to hold an indicated 100 km/h at the summit. Coming into Vancouver the traffic was running 130 km/h. I was grinding along in the slow lane at 8,000 rpm. That's the only time I really wished for more power as it felt unsafe with so little in reserve.

The 250 ran great the whole way. Typically I was running 7,000 to 7,500 rpm. I wondered at the start of the trip if 600 km days at that engine speed would leave me with a smoking heap at the side of the road. Apparently not - I'm a lot more confident of the bike's longevity now. With 29,000 km total it still pulls 10,000 rpm in sixth gear (downhill with a tailwind of course).

After a week at home on Vancouver Island it was back to work in Alberta which is another 1,400 km. The trip through the middle section of BC is great but much more wide open highways than the south, with the exception of the stretch from Squamish to Kamloops. That's literally the most amazing highway I've ridden: twisty for 100 km up and down through the Coastal Mountains.

Would I do it again? For sure.

Attachments

#87 ·
Across Australia in 3 days.

Just about to Kick off an Across Australia ride on a bike I bought in Perth (west coast) and ride it back to Brisbane (east coast). The trip is 4300km and the plan is <3 days. Barring catastrophic failure of the bike or the rider, hopping marsupials, police or a wild Scandinavian backpacker (hopefully not called Sven) - my reply to this thread will be Na Na, mines the biggest, I Win!

Stay tuned for a cracking ride report when I sit with my mate Johny (Walker) and regurgitate the tale (not the whiskey).

This has been an unpaid announcement by a Short Old Fat Bloke..................

Ok, I do need some insight from thoes that have done the miles, What is a reliable range when loades at highway speed 70MPH+. And yes I have been over the forum but you guys are a better indicater of real world travel.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

#88 ·
What is a reliable range when loaded at highway speed 70MPH+.
You will have to find out what your average consumption turns out to be after the first couple tanks. Plan on 200 miles/ 320km maximum at 70 mpgUS which you can hit at 70 mph if you bring a big tank bag to lean your chest down on such as the Cortech super 2.0 18 liter. You will also learn the fuel gauge. When my 4th bar disappears i have half tank plus .7 gallons reserve. When the 3rd bar disappears, i have 1/3 plus reserve remaining. 4,300km is too far for three days unless you have already been doing 200km days regularly on another bike as training.

#89 ·
I've done several 1,000 mile plus rides and have another one coming up in October. The 250 is one fine all-around performer. I get some shoulder fatigue going more than a couple hundred miles before a stop, but stopping and moving around helps a lot. Really no sore butt, I got an aftermarket gel seat cover and it works great (cycle gear). Main thing is the elements. Bring rain gear and other gear suited for the environment. Can't say enough about this bike's long distance performance, it does great on the highways and especially in the twisties!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.