Long distance travel - Page 4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #31
Banned

Great stuff Wafwaf, having toured central Europe as a 16 yr old it must be one of the best places to live for a bike tourer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraetorian View Post
After a bit of considering...The one modification i'm going to be getting is the airhawk
What's an airhawk guys?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #33

Quote:
What's an airhawk guys?
Its an inflatable seat pad I believe. I've never used them but have heard good reviews.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #34

Airhawk - click below

AIRHAWK | Latest News in AIRHAWK Comfort Seating System

But I would still be inclined to go for a sheepskin "buttpad" - here from Alaska Leather

<Alaska Leather> Home of the Sheepskin Buttpad - Motorcycle Seat Covers - Alaska Leather buttpads

But I just got an off-cut from a sheepskin rug shop. It is like riding on a magic carpet.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ajmick/dream
Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #35

This was my first trip out of town with the bike, a total of 60miles, and I'm impressed for the cost of the bike. A few things though was of course getting a little sore after riding. The wind certainly was a content when cruising down 2 lane roads and coming by a semi in the other lane, wind slap!

I live up in North Dakota so wind is a constant issue. That out of the way it was an enjoyable ride. Kept the throttle wide open going about 90mph downhill and 65 uphill. No issues with cooling but the tires did get a little slick in a couple areas and was a little extra careful keeping in line. Found out bugs suck lol.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #36

I fly down the highway in any weather on my CBR250R. 11,000 miles on it so far. 8,000 at 70 mph on the highway. I draw the line at falling snow or ice. My longest trip so far was down and back 460 miles in a day to Americade. 42F and thick fog in the early morning and 48 F and pelting rain for two hours on the way home in the dark (Wednesday if you were there). Running effortlessly in the fast lane at 75-80 mph with the fastest car on the road in my sights a half mile up to let him catch the ticket. My next trip will be 470 a day each way with camping gear to meet Craig Vetter at Mid Ohio on July 20.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #37

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Go for it.

Longest in one day, 780km from Bangkok to Burma and back.

And a 3 day trip of 1,800km.

The mind felt more tired than the body.
I know what you mean!!!.. I've just done Chiang Mai to the Burmese boarder, Takilek, roughly 7/800km... lots of fun, but those Thai's just have a habbit of blindly pulling out of side streets & doing other kinds of crazy stuff on you... And all just as you've squirted that throttle!

Man, my nerves are in shreds now, any Thai road is an accident waiting to happen... But other than that, it was a walk in the park.

I love my new CBR250R, but it's just a bit embarassing when podgy kids in school uniforms on suped up scooters go whizzing past you... Great bike, great handling, great grin factor & I'm sure that it's a far, far, far better bike than any scooters out there, but it really ain't that fast!.. Needs another 50cc... And a kick start... And a propper stand... And a comfy seat... And maybe a better rider??

Last edited by nackkers; 11-14-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #38
arn

Longest 1 day trip so far:

Ludhiana Mumbai via Hanumangarh - Motorcycling trip | EveryTrail

Modifications to make it slightly more tolerable:
1) Better seat
2) Wind deflector cum GPS mount (provisional)
3) Long range tank (20L)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
I've got my cert and a 1000 is a WHOLE NOTHER BEAST than 300 It's a whole other beast than 750!

I'll give you some tips now. First hydrate, wear a camelback and use it. Route choice, plan on leaving in the early AM to finish in daylight if at all possible. You don't want to be running after dark after doing close to a 1000 miles. If you can, choose a route with as much interstate (higher speeds) as you can and avoid major cities and construction. Stops will make our break your attempt. Practice them before you attempt. Same thing for doing miles. You will have a VERY tough time if you try to go from 300 to 1000. Do 500 and see how you feel. Then 750. Any slight soreness or aggravation you notice at these distance will become MAJOR obstacles after 15+hrs in the seat.

Read, learn and practice the IBA's words of wisdom (it's a link on there page).

The trick, and believe me, it is a trick to doing big miles, is "sit there, twist that". If your not moving, you losing. Those 10 minute rest breaks every hour will do you in. Better to be the tortoise than the hare.

Don't be afraid to bail out! It's easy to say you will, but believe me, it takes real cajones to abort an attempt.

Their is no way in hell I'd try to do an SS1000 on the CBR. But if you pull it off. Beer is on me!

I'll be pulling for ya!
Did the SS1000 this past weekend! Where's my beer!? LoL

Yes the ride was a literal pain in the a$$ but it was fun. I found that the sheepskin alone didn't do anything for me after 700/800 miles. I was wearing bicycle shorts, and thick overpants + long johns and still felt pain all over my bum and inner thighs from being on that seat.

Next year I'll attempt the 1500 but not sure if it'll be on the bike, or another new bike (CB500F for instance).
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #40

I do 400 miles to chicagoland and 400 back.
With a broken back.

No bitching here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement