Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Long distance travel

80K views 92 replies 59 participants last post by  AAJCBR250R 
#1 ·
I want to know peoples experiences on long distance traveling on the CBR250. What's the longest trip you taken? Was the ride comfortable? Any issues along the way?
My longest ride was a day trip along a winding road in northern Ontario. AWESOME trail.
Next summer I'm thinking of a cross Canada trip.
Any thoughts?

#37 · (Edited)
Go for it.

Longest in one day, 780km from Bangkok to Burma and back.

And a 3 day trip of 1,800km.

The mind felt more tired than the body.
I know what you mean!!!.. I've just done Chiang Mai to the Burmese boarder, Takilek, roughly 7/800km... lots of fun, but those Thai's just have a habbit of blindly pulling out of side streets & doing other kinds of crazy stuff on you... And all just as you've squirted that throttle!

Man, my nerves are in shreds now, any Thai road is an accident waiting to happen... But other than that, it was a walk in the park.

I love my new CBR250R, but it's just a bit embarassing when podgy kids in school uniforms on suped up scooters go whizzing past you... Great bike, great handling, great grin factor & I'm sure that it's a far, far, far better bike than any scooters out there, but it really ain't that fast!.. Needs another 50cc... And a kick start... And a propper stand... And a comfy seat... And maybe a better rider??

#4 ·
Long distance riding

Just did a two-day, 900 I'm ride from Newmarket to Tobermory, on the ferry to Manitoulin, camped at Chutes provincial park, then south via Sudbury, Muskoka to home. Perfect weather (15-18C) sunny. Had the bike loaded down with new motocentric saddlebags. Bike ran beautifully even at speeds up to 120 km/h. Only complaint after two long days was the saddle. Hoping to see what those of you who have ordered a Corbin saddle think of them. Otherwise, who needs a different/bigger bike? The cbr is all I need! Spent a total of $35 on gas. Try doing that on a bigger bike :)

#5 ·
Just did a two-day, 900 I'm ride from Newmarket to Tobermory, on the ferry to Manitoulin, camped at Chutes provincial park, then south via Sudbury, Muskoka to home. Perfect weather (15-18C) sunny. Had the bike loaded down with new motocentric saddlebags. Bike ran beautifully even at speeds up to 120 km/h. Only complaint after two long days was the saddle. Hoping to see what those of you who have ordered a Corbin saddle think of them. Otherwise, who needs a different/bigger bike? The cbr is all I need! Spent a total of $35 on gas. Try doing that on a bigger bike :)
Sounds like a great trip.
How much do you weigh, and what do you guess the luggage weighed?

#12 ·
Long distance riding is more the rider then the bike. Long trips are easier on bikes more specifically designed for them but you can tour on a honda rukus if you had the right level of determination.
Overall I think the little 250 makes a great long distance bike and here's why

1. Its light weight and easy move around at low speed (meaning less fatigue)
2. Very gas efficient (even with luggage i was recording nearly 70mpg)
3. Its easy to work on
4. Tires, chain/sprocket, and oil replacement are all fairly cheap and easy to do with this bike.
5. If I can ride it from florida to the artic I think its safe to say it can be used for long distance touring. (trip report still pending i just got home lol)

#16 ·
What's that maximum hours that we can a ride CBR250r without damaging the bike.
I think as long as you arent running it near redline for long periods the engine will hold up fine. My longest day was over 600 miles (most of it 65mph or slower) and now with a little over 16,000 miles the engine still seems to run fine.Its a hard engine to kill and I definitely put the bike through its paces with a combination of off road/high speed interstate/stop and go traffic.
In my experience this 250 is the modern version of a honda super cub 50. Just keep the oil fresh and the wheel pointed forward.

IMO you shouldn't really do more then 300miles a day if you want to stop and smell the roses so to speak. I think beyond that number and you are just making yourself miserable. I do intend to some day attempt an Iron butt SS1000 just to see if the little cbr could handle it.

#18 ·
IMO you shouldn't really do more then 300miles a day if you want to stop and smell the roses so to speak. I think beyond that number and you are just making yourself miserable. .

I agree 300miles seems to be the sweet spot, anything more and you are aksing for trouble. The 250 requires constant mental and physical input, you can't just let it roll at highway speed and that's exhausting.

#19 ·
Everybody has different ideas as to what constitutes "long". A lot also depends on whether you are intent on covering distance efficiently or smelling the roses.

If you are intent on riding above 110 kph, you'l find the wind blast an irritant after some time. A little extra cushioning would also go some way in making the seat comfortable over extended distances, especially if the road surface is not good - the rear of the stock seat seems to have less than 1/2" of foam....

#21 ·
I've done a few 750km+ ride where the throttle has been pinned for most of it. (riding across Thailand) and the lil CBR laps it up effortlessly.

I've the touring screen which deflects wind over the body which helps, but bike could do it all day... and does. :)

With 22,000 km of relatively hard riding the lil CBR sounds and rides absolutely sweet. Smooth as anything and a perfect engine note. Perfect.

#22 ·
I've done a few 750km+ ride where the throttle has been pinned for most of it (riding across Thailand) and the lil CBR laps it up effortlessly.
Ok.... each to their own, but what's the point?

IMO you shouldn't really do more then 300miles a day if you want to stop and smell the roses so to speak. I think beyond that number and you are just making yourself miserable.
I agree 300miles seems to be the sweet spot, anything more and you are aksing for trouble. The 250 requires constant mental and physical input, you can't just let it roll at highway speed and that's exhausting.
I tend to agree too. About 300 miles (500 kms) is a good amount of distance - for ANY bike - if you want to stop to take photos, see the sights, interact with locals, make time for lunch, rest and fuel stops, find and explore some kicka$$ things to add to your trip report, ensure you aren't riding in the dark, secure a choice spot, relax, and take a swim at a campground before all the campers pull off the road for the night.
Mike
These guys reflect my experience and feelings. I have done longer days, but have found 250 - 300 miles (400 - 500 km) is enough..... and wouldn't do that day after day. Once I get to where I want to go it is time to kick back, chill, explore, enjoy the concert or whatever. Maybe not ride at all some days, or shift camp just a few miles.

There is more to life than racking up miles. It is great to have a sweet ride, but in the end, for me at least, a motorcycle is the means, not the reason to go somewhere.

#24 ·
my longest one day trip was 650 km, about half on major roads and half on country roads. It was the first day of a 4000 kms trip to Italy (Aoste Valley) and then the Alps tour and back to Belgium.
We fitted a higher windscreen and it was perfect
Just can't wait for the next trip to Corsica and Sardegna ;-))

Attachments

#25 ·
my longest one day trip was 650 km, about half on major roads and half on country roads. It was the first day of a 4000 kms trip to Italy (Aoste Valley) and then the Alps tour and back to Belgium.
We fitted a higher windscreen and it was perfect
Just can't wait for the next trip to Corsica and Sardegna ;-))
Wow, Wow, and more Wow. That first photo is absolutely stunning Wafwaf. Would love to snake my way up and down those roads through the Alps on my CBR250R.

Mike

#26 ·
Hi Mike, thanks for your coms! when winter really starts, and we most probably stop or at least slow down :-( , we will make up a diary of our trip, with dates, comments and pictures....... I will probably post a thread of it at the time.
some links:

Down from the Bonette pass
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewaFYXmhSI

coming down from the Nivolet pass (sorry for the sound)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPh5U9hHYEI

In the meantime, here is the link to our informal friendly riders... and a way perhaps to discover tiny Belgium :)
Rando-Moto.be

#29 ·
I'm strongly considering doing a Saddle Sore (IronButtAssociation 1000mi in 24hr) ride sometime next spring (deer on the roads at night, fall and winter have longer nights obviously, spring gets the right amount of daylight and the lowest heat).

I have done several 300+ mile rides at one time and didn't notice any discomfort what-so-ever, and over half of that was at speeds over 75mph.

#30 ·
I've got my cert and a 1000 is a WHOLE NOTHER BEAST than 300 :) It's a whole other beast than 750!

I'll give you some tips now. First hydrate, wear a camelback and use it. Route choice, plan on leaving in the early AM to finish in daylight if at all possible. You don't want to be running after dark after doing close to a 1000 miles. If you can, choose a route with as much interstate (higher speeds) as you can and avoid major cities and construction. Stops will make our break your attempt. Practice them before you attempt. Same thing for doing miles. You will have a VERY tough time if you try to go from 300 to 1000. Do 500 and see how you feel. Then 750. Any slight soreness or aggravation you notice at these distance will become MAJOR obstacles after 15+hrs in the seat.

Read, learn and practice the IBA's words of wisdom (it's a link on there page).

The trick, and believe me, it is a trick to doing big miles, is "sit there, twist that". If your not moving, you losing. Those 10 minute rest breaks every hour will do you in. Better to be the tortoise than the hare.

Don't be afraid to bail out! It's easy to say you will, but believe me, it takes real cajones to abort an attempt.

Their is no way in hell I'd try to do an SS1000 on the CBR. But if you pull it off. Beer is on me!

I'll be pulling for ya!

#34 ·
#35 ·
This was my first trip out of town with the bike, a total of 60miles, and I'm impressed for the cost of the bike. A few things though was of course getting a little sore after riding. The wind certainly was a content when cruising down 2 lane roads and coming by a semi in the other lane, wind slap!

I live up in North Dakota so wind is a constant issue. That out of the way it was an enjoyable ride. Kept the throttle wide open going about 90mph downhill and 65 uphill. No issues with cooling but the tires did get a little slick in a couple areas and was a little extra careful keeping in line. Found out bugs suck lol.

#36 ·
I fly down the highway in any weather on my CBR250R. 11,000 miles on it so far. 8,000 at 70 mph on the highway. I draw the line at falling snow or ice. My longest trip so far was down and back 460 miles in a day to Americade. 42F and thick fog in the early morning and 48 F and pelting rain for two hours on the way home in the dark (Wednesday if you were there). Running effortlessly in the fast lane at 75-80 mph with the fastest car on the road in my sights a half mile up to let him catch the ticket. My next trip will be 470 a day each way with camping gear to meet Craig Vetter at Mid Ohio on July 20.

#41 ·
Long distance?

I got yer long distance right here!

There is a gent named Bob Munden. He rides a CBR125R long distances.

Visit the CBR125 forum for full details. Here is the site:
HondaCBR125R.com Community Forum

Here is how Bob introduces his latest achievement on his 125.

"I just thought that some of you might like to know that the CBR 125 is not as slow as most think.
On July 28 it went 1558 miles in under 24 hours (23 hours 57 minutes). This ride has now been
certified by the Iron Butt Association after a full review of the witnesses and documentation."

And how many kilometers is that, in one day? 2508

#48 · (Edited)
Get yourself a GPS and go for it! I rode from Koh Samui to Singapore with my wife in a pretty spontaneous way, and ~1500km in 3 days was A LOT of fun, so I don't think it will be a problem for you.

If you go from KL to Krabi, I recommend you stay overnight at Tasoh lake. There's a hotel right at the lake, the place is just great and not so expensive (~$40 per night). Here are some pictures (sorry, I just can't figure out how to attach them to this post directly).

PS - we also made a trip from Koh Samui to Golden Triangle and back during NY holidays, it was also a great time. You can see some pictures here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.