Early Morning Ride - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #11

Thanked 1,492 Times in 764 Posts

Great stuff. Keep 'em coming Michael. I love to see how different people from other cultures around the world live.

Click for mpg >>> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/489745.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wynne G Oldman For This Useful Post:
Michael (07-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Banned

Well, well, this forum hasn't completely fallen to poo. I'm a little surprised.

Nice work pops. Should I make it down there sometime we'll have to go for a ride. Keep it up, so to speak.

3 new Thai made bikes being released in the Big Wing here early next year btw. One will be a 500cc twin based on the 250cc single, one unknown, and the other is rumoured to be a motard of the CRF250L.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Redline For This Useful Post:
Michael (07-16-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

Fantastic second installment! Thanks again for taking us along.
2004 Honda CRF150F "Honey Bee" - 2004 Honda CRF150F "Baby Goldwing"
The Following User Says Thank You to Redeye For This Useful Post:
Michael (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Well, well, this forum hasn't completely fallen to poo. I'm a little surprised.
Yes, the forum has changed a little since the early days, only a year and a half ago. Then there were active members from several countries. Only a few, all in Thailand, actually had a CBR250R but there was a lot of interest in it, especially from older riders. I discovered the forum after I saw one for sale, and Googled to find out about it.

Back then there were more trip reports, and that was what attracted me to this forum thing. Yours, and the ones that the Canadian guy based near Thailand's southern border did (on the other forum), particularly impressed me. They were the model for mine, and I dare say the likes of Aargee.

I suggested long ago that there should be a Trip Report section here; others suggested the same. Now we have one I would like to see it used a bit more....

To me motorcycles are things to be used for commuting, traveling, and for the go fast crowd, racing. I have little time for the bike beautiful cult; better to see a motorcycle used and dirty, but maintained, ready to go places and do things.

In the early days there was a bit of banter; there always has been between Antipodeans and those from the British Isles, and even the politest people on the planet, the Canuks. Now the forum is dominated by old glory wavers, a lot of whom are new riders on new bikes. They are often wannabes with a penchant for farkles, who know farkall......

And they don't like it up 'em......! It's cute when they bite!!

Some already do, but hopefully in time more will be bold enough to go beyond their backyard..... and report on their experiences.

Edit: This is what Soi Sansabai looks like at about 8.30 PM. It gets a lot busier an hour later. Bangla Road nightlife does not really kick in until after 10.00. It is a bit late for this old farm boy who remains an early riser..... better paired with a bird in hand than some flighty creature of the night.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ajmick/dream

Last edited by Michael; 07-16-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #15

Default The final installment

I continued south to Karon. Phuket’s West Coast Road winds up down and around the hills from the airport to Cape Promthep, the southernmost point. It offers a variety of scenery, along with some challenging slopes and bends.

However spirited riding is not advisable; around any corner the road can spring many a surprise…. Wet patches, sand, gravel, broken seal and so on, before even considering Phuket drivers.

A few years back I helped a young fellow out of the ditch near here. He had been on a motorcycle that had been rented in someone else’s name, because he was unlicenced. Four hours into his Phuket holiday he had a suspected broken arm, and no travel insurance.

His mates turned up a few minutes later, drunk and useless. I paid a tuk tuk driver well over the odds to take him to Patong hospital, and left the others to sort out the motorcycle, which would have been uninsured (small rentals never are in Thailand). Having checked that he made it to the hospital, I had done my bit and cleared out.

Karon Beach is a long stretch of soft golden sand, that squeaks when you walk on it. From November to April it is gently sloping and lapped by benign little waves, the kind of thing tropical holidays are made of (but a little boring from my point of view). The lifeguards’ base pay is about 10,000 baht a month ($US 320). Here they top that up a bit by renting out sun loungers @ about $US 6.00 a day for a pair with a sun umbrella.

Come the monsoon, like many of Phuket’s beaches, it turns evil. The waves are not big, but the beach becomes steep as rips and undertow take sand away. They take a few unwary swimmers each year too. Unlike many other beaches, often Karon currents do not even return a body; only the motorcycle the victum arrived on remains. It is best to stay out of the water at Karon Beach from May to November

Kata Yai is my favourite of Phuket’s main beaches. Snorkelling around the rocks, there is a variety of environments, with coral and anemone beds full of colourful fish. There is a reef that runs parallel to the beach, beyond which it falls away quite sharply. It can be interesting to explore in scuba gear. I took some divers there when doing PADI Divemaster.

I also played the victim amongst the coral for Rescue Diver trainees…… Stopped in one spot for a while, I would get entranced by the antics of small creatures. Then, sadly, some student would come along and "save" me.

During the monsoon Kata can be a bit dangerous with rips and undertow too, but it is not as bad as Karon. There is often some OK surf, though there has not been much to get excited about this so far year since a week or so back in May. The best months are yet to come.

Storms over the past couple of months have taken away a metre or so of sand. Come the end of the monsoon it will be returned

Getting hungry, I started to make my way home for breakfast, going over the main range of hills again on my way to Chalong.

I didn’t stop to take many pictures as the battery in the camera was getting flat. The roads were starting to get busy, and there is not so much to catch my interest on the eastern side of Phuket. I may take a couple more pictures to add to this leg in the next day or two, for the sake of completeness.

I did swing on down the road to Chalong Pier. It is the main departure point for diving, sightseeing and transfers to various islands nearby. The bay is very shallow, so the pier is about 1 km long.

Speedboats depart directly from the beach. Here is one with 1,125 Honda horses on the transom

Well, that's it for that trip. Just a short one to try things out. It has been an interesting exercise for me, and I have learned a few things in the process. Maybe others have learned a bit too......

If so, now we have the Ride Report forum, please post yours. Motorcycles are just machines to be used to go places and do things. Some like to ride more, or race. Others like to get off the bike and do something else.

I, for one, find where people go on their bikes, and what they do there, far more interesting than how they tart them up, and traumas that could be solved with a bit of common sense and the Owner's Manual.

Last edited by Michael; 07-21-2012 at 12:48 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael For This Useful Post:
efoo (12-22-2012), Redline (07-20-2012), Wynne G Oldman (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #16

Garage

Again, thanks for the photos and comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsonder For This Useful Post:
Michael (07-20-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #17

I just had to add this Phuket News story...... a great picture of an incident at the bottom of Patong Hill, where I took the second picture in the first post.

Power pole truck set for takeoff in Phuket

A one off......? Nope. Several times I have seen trucks stopped there having lost their load. It is just a normal sort of day on Phuket roads.

And a good reason for riding a motorcycle here, to cut through the traffic back up after such incidents.

Last edited by Michael; 12-01-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement