Phuket - Khao Lak - Ao Nang round trip. - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
» Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #1

Default Phuket - Khao Lak - Ao Nang round trip.

This report is a composite of three trips, the last one being the complete round trip from Phuket to Khao Lak, on to Ao Nang, returning to Phuket. The on the map the basic journey is about 400 km, but with side trips to explore I covered a few more.

Mission Hospital-Phuket to Mission Hospital-Phuket - Google Maps

From a riding point of view for the most part the roads are nothing special, but the route goes through some spectacular country, so the ride is far from boring. From my point of view it was good to have a few days of relaxed riding away from the hectic Phuket traffic. I just rolled along at about 75 km/hr (45 mph) on the main roads, and less on the byways, enjoying the scenery. My 100cc bike averaged better than 110 mpg (US) for the trip.

The road from Phuket to Khok Kloi is mostly fairly straight flat, divided dual carriageway.

From Klok Kloi to Khao Lak it gets a bit more interesting, a regular road gently winding through rubber and oil palm plantations.

Exploring byways north of Khao Lak took me on to tracks that were accessible to a lightweight motorcycle, but would have stopped a heavyweight touring machine.

The Khao Lak - Thap Put leg of the route to Ao Nang is more fun from a riding point of view.

However it is not a place for spirited riding as in parts the road is tight and winding with many blind bends.

Back on the main road between Phang Nga and Krabi it is just undulating highway, albeit through spectacular surroundings.

The secondary road between Ao Leuk and Phang Nga cuts 20 km off the main highway route, but it is narrow but heavily used by commercial vehicles. Motorcyclists can expect to be forced off the road several times by on coming trucks or vans passing slower vehicles. As you can see there is not much of a shoulder to escape to.

That's the roads done..... if any one is interested I'll post photos of what I saw along the way over the next week or two as time allows

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ajmick/dream

Last edited by Michael; 11-09-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Michael For This Useful Post:
bongiorgio (02-07-2013), brianmarinus (01-15-2013), DamianW (11-02-2012), efoo (12-22-2012), katedwolf (11-02-2012), Roadkill (11-18-2012), sendler (11-03-2012), Wanderer (11-02-2012), Will 250 (11-23-2012), Wynne G Oldman (11-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
SDM

Beautiful scenery thanks for sharing Michael.
CORBIN front and pillion seat
Pirelli Diablo tires 150/60/17 rear
110/70/17 front
HID Projector
DFC fuel controller
2 Bros slip on
Lots of Bikers products

In the garage...
2005 Honda CBR1000RR Matte black w/ candy apple red graphics.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-a...od-thread.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #3

Would love to take that ride...thanks for the great description and photos.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #4

Nice write up and photos Michael. From my one-time visit to Thailand for work I didn't see a moto larger than 150cc. Same was true during my visit to India too. Horses for courses I guess.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
sac

lots of big bikes in Thailand ^^
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

No doubt there are larger bikes there, I just didn't see any during my trip.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Thanked 1,483 Times in 758 Posts

I don't think big bikes make economical or geographical sense over there.

Click for mpg >>> http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/489745.html
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
From my one-time visit to Thailand for work I didn't see a moto larger than 150cc. Same was true during my visit to India too. Horses for courses I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
lots of big bikes in Thailand ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne G Oldman View Post
I don't think big bikes make economical or geographical sense over there.
Motorcycles account for nearly two thirds of the registered vehicles on Thai roads. By comparison in most western countries only 3 or 4% of registered vehicles are motorcycles. Interestingly, in Japan the figure is 14%.

In Thailand, and many other Asian countries motorcycles are everyday transport for the masses, a function best served by small economical machines. A basic new 110cc bike sells for about $US1200, and the likes of the Honda PCX for about twice as much.

There are bigger bikes, but they would account for not much more than 5% of the total. Most are imported, hit with big taxes and comparatively expensive. It is only in the past few years have they have started manufacturing motorcycles bigger than 150cc here. The locally manufactured CBR250R (non ABS) sells for about $US3600. Imported BMWs in the showroom near where I live start at about $US20,000

Assuming there are now about 16 million motorcycles and 5% of them are bigger than 150cc, there are about 800,000 big bikes on the road in Thailand. So a fair few but only a small part of the big picture.
Attached Images
File Type: png Vehicles in Thailand.png (22.5 KB, 20 views)

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ajmick/dream

Last edited by Michael; 11-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael For This Useful Post:
Wynne G Oldman (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #9

Thanks Michael. For clarification I was there in back in early '06.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #10

I have a CBR20R and a PCX150. Anytime I don't need super highway speed, I always hop on the PCX. Small displacement, high performance scooters are a great way to get around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement